• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connext screen issue

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Your dealer is misinformed. My screen was changed at 10 hours. The new screen restarted from 0.
So your new screen came with zero hours or did they fix it to say the 10?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
New screen came with zero.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone else had connext replaced if so please let me know if we can ask your tech how they did it
having the same problem did you find a solution?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So my two cents is that the Yamaha factory installs new connext units everday and our boats don't arrive at the dealer showing 99999. Someone at the factory must know. The engine hours are most likley stored in the ecus for each engine and a reading of 99999 is indicative of an error reading that data from the ecus.

-1, all 9s, and nulls in a data field are the most common default values indicating a communication issue or out of range value when it comes to computers.

I have noticed looking through the different wiring diagrams that the pinouts are different on the ecus and connext between the different models that have connext so software/firmware version in connext could be part of the culprit. That or there is some sort of protocol to sync connext with the ecus. I am of course assuming that all connections were made correctly.

Good luck and don't forget to post the solution oncr you get this figured out.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So my two cents is that the Yamaha factory installs new connext units everday and our boats don't arrive at the dealer showing 99999. Someone at the factory must know. The engine hours are most likley stored in the ecus for each engine and a reading of 99999 is indicative of an error reading that data from the ecus.

-1, all 9s, and nulls in a data field are the most common default values indicating a communication issue or out of range value when it comes to computers.

I have noticed looking through the different wiring diagrams that the pinouts are different on the ecus and connext between the different models that have connext so software/firmware version in connext could be part of the culprit. That or there is some sort of protocol to sync connext with the ecus. I am of course assuming that all connections were made correctly.

Good luck and don't forget to post the solution oncr you get this figured out.

Actually they might say 999999 when built at factory but after testing it rolls to 0? Maybe?
But it seems there must be a way to fix that?
If I have 500 hours on my boat I could just replace screen and then sell it with 0 hours???

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't think the hours are stored in the screen I think the hours are stored in the ECUs (each engine has a computer mounted in engine bay). There is a canbus connection from connext to the ecus and this is where the hours are likely read from. Connext is just a display with a few software buttons that can control the radio and anything attached to the spu like the lights and bilge. In fact the only engine data connext diplays is stuff that was previously displayed by the lcd tachs.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No @Benny Sibbitt .. they replaced mine and ran it for 1 hour to let it cycle to 0. I argued over and over the hours are in the ECU and they have a way to have the new screen be set from the ecu but sanford claimed it couldn't be done.. I had to suck it up.. so as of now i have no idea the exact hours unless the dealer hooks up the software.

You are at bmc right?

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No @Benny Sibbitt .. they replaced mine and ran it for 1 hour to let it cycle to 0. I argued over and over the hours are in the ECU and they have a way to have the new screen be set from the ecu but sanford claimed it couldn't be done.. I had to suck it up.. so as of now i have no idea the exact hours unless the dealer hooks up the software.

You are at bmc right?
yep BMC, the service is going to contact Yamaha tomorrow to get an answer
I had 16 hours on it when I switch the screen so going back to 0 is not a big deal but really sucks!
If that is the case connext must track hours on its own and doesn't event talk to the ECU?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If connext cycles to 0 from 99999 then it is most likley storing the hours itself. My only guess as to why it may have 99999 in that case would be that it was hooked up to a test program and not cleared. In this case it must be counting the number of seconds the rpms are greater than zero or engine on has a signal. Interesting. No doubt the the ecus also store the hours as they can be read with ydis.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well they asked me to bring the boat back to BMC so they can try to figure out why the screen is not displaying correct hours

I will keep you guys updated

IMG_1039.JPG

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@john94si
just dropped off yesterday, I should know something sometime this week

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any updates? Ive got a replacement on order....curious if there has been anyone that has figure out how to get accurate hours to display after replacing the connext.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
boat is at the shop now I am awaiting feedback

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
ok just heard back from the service department about the connext issue
looks like there is not a fix?
This is what they wrote me
"Paul also spent yesterday on/off the phone with Yamaha regarding the LCD screen hour meter. The ECM on the engine is not connecting to the screen and therefore will not list the appropriate hours even with the new screen. Yamaha stated that whenever they swap out screens they no longer will show the correct engine hours. Russ, our service manager, made a couple calls and verified that this is the case at other dealerships as well"

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting. Pins 9,10,and 16 on the back of the screen all communicate with pins 9 and 10 on each engine over the engine canbus. There are guys who make a living writing canbus tunes for cars so there is definitely someone that can do this.

mahmoud

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
could you please help me Yamaha 242 limited s 2015 connext multi function display gives the logo and doesn't work

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
could you please help me Yamaha 242 limited s 2015 connext multi function display gives the logo and doesn't work
I hope you have warranty. Only option

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Take it to an authorized dealer for repair. They can try and reflash it but if that does not work it will need replaced.

mahmoud

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Take it to an authorized dealer for repair. They can try and reflash it but if that does not work it will need replaced.
thank you for advice but there is no dealer near me . if you know any method to reflash it i would be thankful.
thank you