• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering an AR210

ddeluca3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are considering an 2020 AR210. What are the pros and cons of a jet boat verses a i/o or an outboard? Also, are tubing and waterskiing similar experiences with a jet boat?
Thanks.

Yamaha Jet Boat Pros:
No prop = much less worries about people/kids getting cut
Can drive in super shallow water that boats with props can't
Amazing swim deck platform blows away any prop boat
AR210 is amazingly spacious for a 21ft boat, seats 10, L shaped bench seat in back like a pontoon, bow seating is spacious due to bow shape
Less maintenance
AR210 twin engine let's you spin on a dime if you want to (one in forward one in reverse)

Jet Boat Cons
Stock Low speed manuvering is tough, you need thrust to turn on a jet boat (but mostly everyone buys "fins" to remedy this)

Picking up mine at the dealer tomorrow, finally. Some of the things we considered buying the AR210 and a Yamaha Jet Boat in general.
No Prop for the kids. Nice Seating, Great Swim Deck. Two engines in case one goes out I can get back to shore/safety. Fantastic Hole Shot. Easier Maintenance.

Also a big factor was finding this forum and reading through a great many threads and learning about what I am buying and which Mods I would be installing from those with real world experience.

Jet boat wakes tend to have quite a lot more turbulence in the table than prop driven boats (especially inboards). Not really a problem for beginners and intermediate skiers and wakeboarders, though. The jets also throw a bit more spray, which can be annoying to tube riders. The fix is a long rope and/or goggles.

Yamaha Jet Boat Pros:
AR210 is amazingly spacious for a 21ft boat, seats 10, L shaped bench seat in back like a pontoon, bow seating is spacious due to bow shape
Less maintenance
AR210 twin engine let's you spin on a dime if you want to (one in forward one in reverse)

Jet Boat Cons
Stock Low speed manuvering is tough, you need thrust to turn on a jet boat (but mostly everyone buys "fins" to remedy this)
Thanks for the feedback. There is a lot a great functionality of the AR210 which is what attracted us to it. Test ride this weekend!

I will say when you are next to it, it feels like a good size, but when you get in it was amazed at how much room it has for a 21'.

The only con for me is the worry of something getting stuck in your impellers and ruining the day. I never felt worried about that on my prop boat.

The rest are all pros.

I check my pissers a lot while running around, and I learned and use the reverse intake clearing "trick" mentioned on this forum.

I wouldn't go back to a prop boat.

Hey there! A fellow Bradenton Boy!!! Where do you normally launch from?

Oh I am new to this, and have no boat :(, but I am getting close to making the purchase. We will be launch from Ft. Hammer most of the time.

Where do you normally cruise to, or what are some of the good areas you like to visit?

Yamaha Jet Boat Pros:
Less maintenance

Jet Boat Cons
Should not drive in shallow water.

Sorry for the delay @ddeluca3 - I had this same question a year ago - if not too late, maybe my comments in the attached link will be of some help.

A year after buying the AR210, I have zero regrets. The only downside I've continued to find is the noise vs the prop - definitely louder, especially at a leisurely (slow) cruise. And, you'll likely want to add some steering fins to the Yamaha (which I'll do next month), but that's an inexpensive add.

Tim

Yamaha jet vs Bayliner Prop

We are considering an 2020 AR210. What are the pros and cons of a jet boat verses a i/o or an outboard? Also, are tubing and waterskiing similar experiences with a jet boat?
Thanks.
Thanks for all the responses. We decided to go with the AR210.

Good choice. I picked up mine two weeks ago. I just picked up a Yamaha mooring cover but it was $800. The Shipping cover is a pain in the ass and is had to take with you and heavy. If you haven't done the full deal yet, see if they will throw in a Yamaha mooring cover or at least give you a big discount. It is worth a shot.

Good choice. I picked up mine two weeks ago. I just picked up a Yamaha mooring cover but it was $800. The Shipping cover is a pain in the ass and is had to take with you and heavy. If you haven't done the full deal yet, see if they will throw in a Yamaha mooring cover or at least give you a big discount. It is worth a shot.
Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately we already closed the deal. After we closed the deal, we were advised to get the mooring cover since we are storing the boat in a dry rack because of the diesel forklifts.

Did you get the Blue or the white? I got the Blue One.

White. We didn’t have a choice.

Regarding the covers, I keep my AR210 on a lift year-round, but use the boat ~half the year. I used the mooring cover during boating season, and installed the shipping cover one-time in the fall, mostly to minimize UV degradation of the expensive mooring cover over the winter, but also because it provides a bit more coverage of the boat. So, even if you don't plan to use the shipping cover, it has some value to folks like me.

The shipping cover is indeed a bit of a PITA to install, especially when your boat's on a lift, trying to buckle the bow buckle and the far side buckle from the comfort of a kayak in November winds and waves.

Back