• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Conversation with a guy at the lake on Sunday

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I was on Lake Mitchell (Alabama) on Sunday making sure my new chartplotter was working right (it was, thanks for asking) and decided to go up into Big Y Cove, an area I never bothered to go up into because I thought it just ended into one big house. I had been conversing with a member here (ccrayjr) who had said that it went back pretty far and of course he was right. In hindsight I guess the name "Big Y Cove" should have been a clue, but anyway...

So I'm going into an area toward the end of one leg of the Y and my depth alarm goes off. No big deal, I have it set at 3' About that time a guy yells at me from an adjacent boathouse "Hey, you better get your transom up, you're churning up mud." I yell back that I'm OK, I'm a jet. He yells back something like "Oh! Then you're in big trouble." I'm thinking what the hell is he talking about. I glance back and at 24" depth and idle, the mud on the bottom is so soft that it looks like I'm churning mud. I yell back "I'm good" and in my line I sight I see that his next door neighbor has a jet. I guess he's never seen it on the water...ever.

So misunderstood.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You messed up and missed your chance, the correct reply is, don't worry I have it in 4 wheel drive.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whats a, "Transom"? I got a front, back and two sides to my boat. :)

I got a similar question at my lake in Wis. I had my boat on the trailer filling it up and a guy asked me were I used my boat. Now I'm about 100 yards away from my lake at the gas station but I'm wondering why he thought I wouldn't use it in the lake right there? I told him it was a jet and he said he knew that since he saw the back. I guess a 24' sitting on the trailer looks pretty big. But our lake is 2,500 acres and most of it is over 3' and deeper so the boat can go most anywhere, except under the road bridge.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lol funny story! I grew up on that lake (Ware Island , the one with the landing strip). Good times on that beautiful lake, much better than Lay IMO but I'm biased :D

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Should have yelled...." I'm here to dredge the cove" then floored it!