• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cooling Hose/Clamp Made Simple??

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thoughts on this approach...

I was researching corrosion prevention coatings and came across KBS Coatings. Below is a link to their sampler kit, which covers ~12sq ft, shipped for less than $30
System Sampler - Stop Rust Paint - KBS Coatings - RustSeal

Pair that with the standard style clamps (zinc coated), purchased in bulk (vs OEM clamps at $4-5/clamp).

I emailed KBS Coatings and they said their product could be used on hose clamps, just needs 48 hours of curing time before installation.

Still uncertain if I’m willing to undertake the entire process, or maybe just buying and prepping the clamps and having a mechanic/tech do the install/replace, as I’m still unclear how many clamps there on on the MR1 engines.
So I wanted to follow up on this approach.

I ordered an assortment of clamps from McMaster, and used the KBS process. The process is to use their degreaser, then their etcher, then to apply 3 coats for marine use.

I applied the “paint” via a gravity fed paint gun. Since the clamps where not bare metal, but had a coating on them (not sure what gives them their black appearance), the KBS coating encapsulated the clamps instead of bonding with the metal. This lead to a coating that was prone to chipping off when using pliers on the camps to install ( I ended up having a jet ski repair shop replace the engine clamps and this was their approach).

So, I am not certain how much additional protection this process will afford me. I also sprayed down the clamps with CorrosionX HD after they were installed and will repeat as necessary.

Just wanted to bring closure to my prior posting.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you get a chance can you post some pics..I'm intrigued. I don't miss the saltwater..
Thanks

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you get a chance can you post some pics..I'm intrigued. I don't miss the saltwater..
Thanks
Of course.
Here’s the 8oz sample can
6AD860A4-1B27-495D-AB65-07B86769F32B.png

Here I used some mono filament to hang the clamps while I painted them, changing orientation half way through.
4F9806A3-0997-4EF1-A48B-B38D55A0F2D9.png

Slightly out of focus but a few new clamps installed and one old clamp. On the new ones you’ll see where the silver coating chipped off. The brown that you see on the engine Mount is CorrosionX HD.
A5C75A7F-97F3-4639-A276-A162BA24591E.png

Here are some of the old clamps removed. Interesting was how some of the clamps are “doubled”, that is they are two rings vs one.
5D92B711-7FC9-460B-B5CE-52FAD8688157.png

I can try to snag more pics next time I am at the boat, these were the only random ones I had.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I was out today enjoying the perfect Hawaii weather today and cruising along at WOT. Popped one of the main cooling lines off the starboard engine while in an ocean channel and lost the motor when the temp override put me into limp mode. Thank God the swells were calm, cause I was taking in water pretty quick and was able to find the problem. One of the main hoses coming into the manifold had just shot off the fitting. Clamp is still on the hose, but obviously not doing the job. I was able to get it back on though it can't handle the water pressure. It keeps trying to blow back off. The hose looks fine and runs like $85 on the yamaha site. there are also about 300 different size of small hose clamps listed on their schematic. Anyone find a cheaper place to find all the hose pieces and fittings other than buying it all from the dealer?
We need a Project Farm test on stainless clamp types.
Use stainless steel constant torque clamps....