• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Correct way to attach tow rope to tow hook

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I know most boaters know this but I also know some that haven't grown up in water sports may not. So I thought why not post this here for new boaters if they search on for this topic. I've posted the below visual to a few people on this forum and on the Facebook page that have not seen this method before and it helped them out. If anyone has learned/been taught a different way go ahead and comment.

------------------------------------------------------

Here's a visual of how to attach the rope to the tow hook ( Newer Yamaha's have this type of handle/tow hook combo but even if you have the "eye" type hook the concept is the same ):

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That’s what I do as well. Unfortunately, it’s tough with a 3+ person tube rope. Those are a good 3/4” thick it seems like. That’s a lot of rope to get crammed in there.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ha thanks! I've actually tried to youtube this exact thing before and didn't find anything good.

Now someone please complement this with 3 person rope in the hook type attachment point. Also, how about the top tow point. Any secrets there for us noobs?

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The attachment point on my 242 is different than that. The picture you show is for a 21' boat.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The attachment point on my 242 is different than that. The picture you show is for a 21' boat.
Yeah the concept is the same for the "circle eye" hook. Just thread the rope into the middle of the eye over the hook, down through the bottom hole and then back up around onto the hook. The issue with that style is there is even less room for thick ropes. Maybe create a loop from some smaller high strength rope and add it to your tow rope. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My 2011 SX210 had this style hook. All I could do is just loop the eye around it and hope it held. It always did.

190_fsh_5.jpg

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
My 2011 SX210 had this style hook. All I could do is just loop the eye around it and hope it held. It always did.
Huh - yeah with no bottom hole, nothing you can really do.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ha thanks! I've actually tried to youtube this exact thing before and didn't find anything good.

Now someone please complement this with 3 person rope in the hook type attachment point. Also, how about the top tow point. Any secrets there for us noobs?
The key is to inflate the tube (at least the bottom - main -part) hard. We usually use a hand pump to finish off. I could not over-emphasize this point.
We tow from the tower, use "soft starts" and always keep the rope taut.

--

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ii was wondering about this. I have the hook style and people said to like loop around it and stuff. Kind sucks that it's really just a loop it on the hook and hope for the best.

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Fsh hook sucks my rope falls off all the time!

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Fsh hook sucks my rope falls off all the time!
Only thing I can think of is to loop it over the hook in the same fashion you would loop over a tower spindle. Only problem obviously is that wouldn't work with real thick ropes. Could create an extra loop on the end of your rope though with something like synthetic winch rope that they use for ATV winches. This would be thin enough to do a double loop over the hook and also strong enough to handle the weight the original tow rope handles.
This synthetic winch rope handles up to 7,000 lbs but is only a 1/4" thick.

Here is what I mean by a double loop as used on a tower spindle.

Homernukem

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Why don't people use winch ropes for tubes? Do they sink in the water, are they so narrow people can get cut by it rubbing on them in the water, does a towable rope need to stretch?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Why don't people use winch ropes for tubes? Do they sink in the water, are they so narrow people can get cut by it rubbing on them in the water, does a towable rope need to stretch?
Yeah I think the main reason is you definitely want some stretch in the rope for most towables. The only activity where you don't want any stretch is wakeboarding and wakeskatting, but then why not just buy a nice non-stretch wakeboard rope for that. In the pictures above for my examples thatis exactly what that rope is, a non-stretch wakeboard rope.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the same tow hook as the Yamaha pictured above I would put loop on and then use a Zip Tie to hold rope making a smaller loop this kept it from creeping up and sliding off. End of day just cut Zip to remove. I like the Midnight rider loop idea just use a zip to keep it from opening up.......problem solved.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is good information but I think it’s important to review the proper way to attach a tow line to a tube as well. I can’t do so right now but will try later.

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Swatski and I are on the same page. I do the exact same thing.

FYI- I hate pulling a tube. We only use it when we have guests on the boat that don't know how to do anything else so it gets used like 3-4 times a year.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the weird hook where you just put the loop over it. I usually f
Go over the loop with a twist thing to secure it better. Boat in storage an have no pictures
This would probably also work for the large thick 4 person tube rope when securing to the bar.

Attachments