• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Corrosion and Water Damage to Radio Control Unit - Any Suggestions?

I’m having the same issue. Radio error popped up the last time out and everything is locked out. Just started up this morning and had the depth transducer error. Took it for an hour ride and depth worked and no more error about it. But radio still locked out in connext screen because it won’t power up from the platform. Thanks for posting this bc I’ve been looking for some help too.

Applying sealant where it was missing basically solved the problems I was having. I left the USB unplugged since the male end is so corroded I'll need a replacement, but I use bluetooth anyways so no biggie. Hopefully your radio isn't fried like my first one was. I was able to get radio 2 working after it dried out and have been using that one since. I still haven't heard back from the dealer/fusion about a replacement unit coming back to me and just ate the $300 for a new one.

Every now and then my transducer plays up - either cuts out completely for a few seconds or shows some crazy depth like 60 ft even though my lake is only about 8 ft right now. I think that issue was battery voltage driven - it's happened a lot less since I've installed a noco charger a few weeks ago. From what I've read the electronics don't like the lower voltage and keeping the battery at a proper charge helps keep the electronics happy.

Did you just seal around the HU?

I did, but the water was actually coming from the clean-out section on the transom. There was about a foot long section where they hadn't put sealant right above the radio so water was coming in there and going directly onto the unit from the backside. I'd suggest removing the screws and making sure it's sealed properly. I also sprayed the connectors with CorrosionX as @jocolo21 suggested.

I'm having a similar issue. However the RA70 still works and willl start playing music. But it cannot connect to the connext screen. Connext willl give me a communication error and has all of the options locked.

I'm having a similar issue. However the RA70 still works and willl start playing music. But it cannot connect to the connext screen. Connext willl give me a communication error and has all of the options locked.
Sounds very similar to what I was experiencing. There would be times where the music would still play, but I had no control over the volume or song through the connext screen (connected to phone via bluetooth). Replacing the radio fixed this issue, however I still have issues with connext not showing depth intermittantly and my speed will cut out at times as well (just shows -- ). I believe this is due to battery voltage more than anything else, although I am tempted to try and replace the transducer with the spare that came with the boat to see if it helps. I will say, it's happened less frequently since I replaced the radio and installed a NOCO battery charger.

On a side-note, I find it interesting that Yamaha changed from the Fusion head unit and added a remote next to the screen for the '23 models. Not sure if it's related to this problem or not. Seems to be a recurring trend from several of us 195S owners though. Hopefully this post helps!

I have also been seeing odd behavior with the depth readings. Can't really find a pattern with it yet, but it does seem to be having an issue. However its not nearly as bad as the audio issues.

I have also been seeing odd behavior with the depth readings. Can't really find a pattern with it yet, but it does seem to be having an issue. However its not nearly as bad as the audio issues.
Agreed - boating without the radio is a huge buzz-kill for me - I need my tunes! Have you pulled the unit out to look at the back? I'd check to make sure the transom is fully sealed around the cleanout - if everything looks good spray some corrosion-x on the plugs before you put it back in.

Agreed - boating without the radio is a huge buzz-kill for me - I need my tunes! Have you pulled the unit out to look at the back? I'd check to make sure the transom is fully sealed around the cleanout - if everything looks good spray some corrosion-x on the plugs before you put it back in.

What corrosion-x do you use? I see a few different versions of it???

The heavy duty one is way too heavy a coat. I bought it not knowing. A little much for my use.

Back