• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Cost of your boat "shed"?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This was boat related, so I didn't throw it in off topic, but it could maybe be there instead...
In any case, we are looking at houses, and ours is on the market, but what we have been finding is that the garages aren't DEEP enough. I have the SS with the low profile windshield so it's no problem getting into a 7 foot door, BUT, I don't want the garage so tight in there that the back of the boat is up against the wall, or that I have to turn the boat to fit it in. That's just a waste of space that needs to be used by our vehicles in the winter.
So, a possibility is to build a new garage for the boat.
I would want a concrete floor, 2x4 sides, peaked roof, siding to match house (although the one we are looking at most seriously is a brick) and enough storage area inside for the extra tubes etc.
8x10 garage door, and 12x30 is what I'm thinking.
What is the dimensions of stuff you guys have built for your boat?
How much did it cost?
What would you change?

Thanks for info in advance!!!!

PS 30' is partially so if we want to upgrade we can!

I built a 24x30 with an 8ft x 18ft door. This garage is attached to the house just like the other garage. It looks like it was built with the house. I have about 18-20 thousand it it. It also has an rv pad tied in next to it.

I built a 24x30 with an 8ft x 18ft door. This garage is attached to the house just like the other garage. It looks like it was built with the house. I have about 18-20 thousand it it. It also has an rv pad tied in next to it.
Nice! How much work do you have in it yourself vs hired?

I am just finishing our garage. It is detached 14×40, with doors on each end (9x12). It's a flat roof so we could get it closer to the property line. We did a stem wall foundation, which we contracted out ($5k). It's all 2x6 contraction and the lumber cost $3k. Did everything myself except foundation, garage doors and stucco. Insulation was $400, drywall was $1k, steel man door was $350. We are having the garage doors installed and were $1500 each (insulated steel back). We contracted the stucco out and that was $2800, included lath.

We have discussed doing the same thing. May have some HOA resistance. Getting very tired of storage hassles and fees.

Also, if the boat is here and accessible 52 weeks per year, I am afraid my mod spend would skyrocket!

Awesome!
So what i am building should be under 20k which was my hope budget wise.
Actually moving garage door to side and adding the single bay if we buy the house.

This is in unincorporated so i doubt the hoa, but this did make me think about septic field location since it's well and septic

We have a detached "boat shed" that has a carport for our RV next to it under the same roof. The garage for the boat has a 10.5' wide by 12' tall metal door with opener and the space is 34' deep. At the back I have a double people door for mainly ventilation when I'm in there working or playing. It's on a concrete slab and is 2x6 framed with a brick veneer. It had to match the house or I would have done it with metal siding. The pitch of the roof even had to match the house so this sucker is tall. The bay for the RV is the same length as the garage, but since it's open it is taller at 16' and about the same 10.5' width.
I was the general contractor and the cleanup crew of the project. I found a local concrete guy for the slab and he had a crew who could clear out the trees for me. I found a local home builder for the framing crew and brick layers. I had a neighbor do all the electrical for me. I financed 25k and paid everyone in cash as their part of the job was completed.
I wasn't about to put both of our toys in storage when I had the space to build something and pay less then storage to finance it and have equity in our property.

Built this as a home for my boat and fully equipped wood shop [ if my wife really knew what I spend on tools:D...... ] 24 x36 9ft sidewalls .Did all work my self except concrete . Never totaled cost but likely around 30,000. If doing again I would make it bigger to fit a bigger boat if I go that way. I'm rural so no constraints .001 (1024x768).jpg

When I built my house I had them add an additional garage on the left hand side. Door is 10 feet wide by 10 feet tall and the garage itself is 13 feet wide by 38 feet deep. It makes it a 5 car garage or a 3 car and one hell of a lot of space to store a boat. At 10' tall I barley slide under with the tower folded on an AR 240. Next time I will go with a 12 foot door. At 12 feet most travel trailers will fit as well. The cost for this addition to new construction was around 15-20K if I remember correctly. The only thing I would change would be to go a little bit longer. Had I gone 3 feet longer I would have been able to fit the boat and a car or a good size workshop in the back…If you have the space then build it as big as you can afford. You will never look at it and say you wish you would have built it smaller.
DSC_0518.JPG

Not as fancy as some and still a work in progress, but we converted an old stall barn into boat storage. This is what it started as..
image.jpg

We added overhead doors and raised the header to allow for the boat with tower up, built a large workbench, and installed lighting. My wife added flower beds between the doors,etc. Not the most recent photo but you can get the gist..
image.jpg image.jpg

My project at the end of the boating season is to build steps and a large raised platform at the rear of the boat similar to what you see at boat dealerships to allow easy access while the boat is on the trailer. Forgot to add, did everything myself except hanging the garage doors. We have approximately 4k in the reno.

I built a 30x40 boat barn at the lake house. 2-12x12 doors, one 9x9 door on the back, 14' walls for 17,500. All metal and all hired out. Concrete will be next year once it all settles in a bit that'll add another $3,000 or so.

I built mine pole barn style with 4"x6" timbers fir the poles, 2"x4" runners (nailers) on the side every 4' up. And poised a floating slab inside the perimeter skirtboards. I built all of this myself with help from my BIL and a neighbor too when setting the trusses. I built the trusses and frame from a pole barn book to size. I didn't do the dirt work to build the pad or pour the floor. It is metal skinned just like a metal building. It cost me about $700 fir the lumber, $1300 for the floor and extensive driveway approaches connecting to my existing drive, $1300 fir the metal sides and roof, and $700 for the trim metal. The barn is 24'x24', with 10' headroom clearance and 10' tall doors that are double siding barn doors 6' wide each for a 12' open span 10' tall on each end. I spent an additional $700 in 1/4" foam lined with aluminum that equals an R value of 7 and another $300 for a 200 amp service panel and wiring for 120 and 220. It is protected by our home alarm and monitor system. $5k to keep your boat in perfect condition. Anything more is architectural enhancement, and not required for security or structural integrity. And it ain't bad looking! This pic is @DawgDaze and @Suchawittygal loading the "Dawg"...when they loaded up the truck and moved to californey!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back