• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Couple Questions on 2017 AR190......

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did some maintenance and mods yesterday. Was actually pretty productive, however I now have some questions on a few things.

Doing an oil change:
Got the extractor all setup, ran the engine for 5 min at idle then 15min on No Wake Mode with the house water running. Had luke to medium warm water coming out from both the exhaust and the pisser nozzle. Shut everything down, setup the extractor, pressurized, then went in for a sandwich. Came back out 10-15min later, and it had pulled right at 4L of oil out. I only purchased the 1gal jug from the dealer, so 3.785L to put back in. I put the entire jug back into the motor, and then emptied the extractor into the previously emptied jug. It looks like ~ABOUT~ the same amount in the jug of used oil as when I started. I would say I'm pretty close (and it looks just above the top hole on the dipstick)..........SO.....How tolerant are these engines to over/underfill?

Here's the oil Change Setup. Pretty easy overall:
OilChangeSetup.jpg

Changed the spark plugs:
Couldn't find my spark plug gapping tool. No idea where it went honestly. Can someone confirm that NGK sends the plugs pre-gapped? If not I can pull them out and check.
I used Anti-sieze. I know there is a big debate here on that, just noting what I did. I'll report back next time I change to see how that worked out.
I noticed the coils didn't "click" into place like a typical spark plug boot. Is that a problem? I test fired the engine, and it seemed to idle just fine. Any thoughts?

Spark Plugs looked fine. I replaced them because I figured it was cheap insurance. Used to have to cap/rotor/plugs/wires/coil on the old boat every season:
SparkPlug1.jpg

Engine bay general:
What are these parts in the exhaust? The small machined piece with a tube to a solenoid of some sort. There also appears to be a sensor down there. This is between the cast exhaust manifold, and the rubber piece that goes to the water box. I can makrup a better picture if that helps. I'm guessing EGR or something like that? Anyone know what these pieces are?
EngineBay1.jpg

GPS Connection:
I was cutting in a door for the under help storage, and was poking around and found this connector loose. Tag say's "GPS" on it. Any idea what this is supposed to be plugged into, or what kind of signal it accepts?
GPS Connector.jpg

OK last one.....Structural question.

As I was cutting into the helm storage I've found that there was a significantly "thicker" section. This is right at the bottom center of the cutout near the floor. Anyone know why?

The cutout:
THickersection1.jpg

And on the piece I removed:
ThickerSection2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help. None of this is super important, just curiosity for the most part.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm interested in the spark plug clicking. My brand new 2019 SX190 started performing badly at 1.5 hrs. Thought it was bad gas or spark plugs, but since it was so new I wasn't going to touch the engine and let them blame me for anything. Diagnoses came back "Found Intermittent miss on cylinder #1, Checked coil and found wire harness not properly locked into place". I thought it was pretty sloppy for either the factory or the dealer.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oil - never get 4l out... not sure what happens if overfilled, the MR-1s are sensitive to it, the 1.8s seem to not care?

The NGK spark plugs are pregapped I think you are not supposed to mess with those, but IDK. I never bothered.
My spark plugs look just like yours - when I change them every 50hours or so...

The part in question is the electric rectifier, I think.

The plug is for diagnostics maybe? @tek4fun may know? @Mainah?

The FRP thickness is somewhat random, at least in part. In my experience. There are parts that are thicker/beefed up like the cap. I wish they made them structurally more rigid in the midship - all new models drop the center piece windshield in rough water...

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You are probable okay on the oil if you are at the first dot on the stick. I image the manufacturer plans a little bit of margin in there for human error. I think I would still pick up a quart and keep it on the boat just in case it got fussy on you while you are out on the water. If you don't need it then you are a quart ahead for next season.

As far as the sparkies go, I have never gapped mine, always thrown them in bare and never had a problem with them 5 years running now.

As far as the fiberglass goes, I think that is probably just a spot where some sheets overlap. It seems to small to be anything structural. If it was by design maybe it was to keep that panel from resonating, but since that panel is no more, there should be no concern about that now anyway.

As far as your other questions go, I have no clue. I don't recall seeing that piece of hardware on my exhaust. I may have to take a look at mine tonight and see.

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The connector marked GPS is usually plugged into the pigtail from the white GPS puck that is mounted just in front of the windshield. If the same harness is used for the AR190 and SX190, then it may get used on one model, but not the other model. It uses NMEA 0183 communications protocol. I could dig a little deeper, if needed.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The connector marked GPS is usually plugged into the pigtail from the white GPS puck that is mounted just in front of the windshield. If the same harness is used for the AR190 and SX190, then it may get used on one model, but not the other model. It uses NMEA 0183 communications protocol. I could dig a little deeper, if needed.
I'll take any info you have the time and inclination to dig for. 100% curiosity at this point.

Thank you!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are probable okay on the oil if you are at the first dot on the stick. I image the manufacturer plans a little bit of margin in there for human error. I think I would still pick up a quart and keep it on the boat just in case it got fussy on you while you are out on the water. If you don't need it then you are a quart ahead for next season.

As far as the sparkies go, I have never gapped mine, always thrown them in bare and never had a problem with them 5 years running now.

As far as the fiberglass goes, I think that is probably just a spot where some sheets overlap. It seems to small to be anything structural. If it was by design maybe it was to keep that panel from resonating, but since that panel is no more, there should be no concern about that now anyway.

As far as your other questions go, I have no clue. I don't recall seeing that piece of hardware on my exhaust. I may have to take a look at mine tonight and see.
Thanks for the answers.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oil - never get 4l out... not sure what happens if overfilled, the MR-1s are sensitive to it, the 1.8s seem to not care?

The NGK spark plugs are pregapped I think you are not supposed to mess with those, but IDK. I never bothered.
My spark plugs look just like yours - when I change them every 50hours or so...

The part in question is the electric rectifier, I think.

The plug is for diagnostics maybe? @tek4fun may know? @Mainah?

The FRP thickness is somewhat random, at least in part. In my experience. There are parts that are thicker/beefed up like the cap. I wish they made them structurally more rigid in the midship - all new models drop the center piece windshield in rough water...

Thank you sir.

I'm going to try and pull a part number off the exhaust parts tonight and do some research. I have an odd feeling I got a CA emissions model boat. Not sure exactly why, but I feel like my model number was off from what the DMV had on file or something like that when we registered it. Was wondering the the exhaust parts were EPA related. Looks a lot like an EGR system of some sort. Of course I've only ever seen a rectifier on a motorcycle before, and it looks very similar to that piece as well.

Sounds like the thick fiberglass is nothing to worry about, and the over/under fill might not be anything to worry about either. I'll keep an eye on it for the first few trips and see if I need to adjust from there. The resonance idea sounds very plausible. Glad to know the spark plugs are no big deal as well.

What does FRP stand for? Fiberglass Reinforced Panel?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fiberglass reinforced plastic, that's waht they use, their thickness variation is almost certainly random, at least in part. AT least they are no using the "nano-cell?" nonsense as with their jet skis, yet.

I would be very surprised if your boat is CARB, it would have a big catalytic converter and 4 stars somewhere on the engine label.
The thing is def a rectifier.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree, that thing is definitely the rectifier.

SO....Is it safe to assume the tubes going to/from it are cooling water lines? From the manifold, to the rectifier, then to the exhaust stream further down the manifold?

Next question. Where the water from the rectifier is re-entering the exhaust stream there is a thin blue cable. Any idea what that thing is? No number on your diagram there. Just part number 24 on the lower manifold.

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'll take any info you have the time and inclination to dig for. 100% curiosity at this point.

Thank you!
I confirmed that both models AR240 and SX240 use the same harness and they both have a GPS puck. I attached a picture with one shown. I am surprised that I could not see it in one of your pictures, but maybe you removed it temporarily while you are working on the boat.2016 AR240 GPS puck.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you sir.

I'm working on an AR190. Perhaps they don't have GPS, but use the same harness at some level?

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you sir.

I'm working on an AR190. Perhaps they don't have GPS, but use the same harness at some level?
Sorry, I switched the size of the boat. I went back and confirmed that the AR190 and SX190 also use the same main harness for those 2 models. Those models also do not have the GPS puck. I am not sure why your harness would have a drop for it, since the schematic that I looked at does not have it.