• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Covers

BigN8 can I ask how much the Sunbrella cover cost at Dallas Canvas?
I was just talking with them to get a cover done. Their least expensive cover was going to be $700, which I can get the Yamaha one for $500 from YamahaSportsPlaza.

For Sunbrella they were talking $1,200+...

I've got a few more places to call about a custom cover before I bite the bullet and just get the crappy Yamaha one again!

BigN8 can I ask how much the Sunbrella cover cost at Dallas Canvas?
About $1200 after tax. They did the job in 3 days.

I bought up a few Yamaha Factory shipping covers. I use them as storage covers and the expensive mooring/trailering cover just for towing. I'm sure somebody makes a cover that would work for storage and not cost as much. But when it comes to towing, I'd stick with either the factory one or a custom one. Aftermarket ones tend to just puff up and flap in the wind when going 70.

I do the same thing....I was able to find them on Ebay and greatlakesskipper.com

My three year old cover still looks great but leaves a white residue on seats etc. Its like it is slowly disinigrating and that is after only 12 to 14 months total outside

I purchased the custom cover from Will at Jetboatpilot in the middle of the winter and only just yesterday had a chance to open the box and install it on the boat.Even though Will has stopped making the covers (which I only discovered yesterday when I went to his website to post a review) I must say that my initial reaction is that it's a solid build.

I told my wife he stopped selling them and we agreed that we hoped it was because it wasn't profitable for him as opposed to some chronic construction/quality issue. Reading the above remark about Sunbrella material chaffing has me on alert so I guess that will be something to watch out for as the season (hopefully) begins in Northern Illinois.

Saw someone post today about www.nationalboatcovers.com having an Easter sale. I have absolutely no experience or knowledge with this company, but prices looked descent. For my boat they sold Sunbrella, Windstorm, and Silvercloud.

@ShooterDiesel 2 years is unnacceptable! The shortest mine has lasted is 4 years, and it sits outside under it all the time. Any thoughts on why it didn't last longer?

He is closer to the sun than you are #Julian! ;)

Here is my solution that I've posted a few times before.

I keep the expensive Yamaha cover in the garage and only use it for trips over 50 miles. It fits great of course and is good for high speed driving. I used the Yamaha cover only twice last year. Once when we took a 60 mile trip, and for a week or so for boat storage between cheap universal covers. For trips under 50 miles that are usually under 50mph I don't cover the boat, but need to make sure I keep the windshield and lower door closed so cushions don't blow out.

My boat is kept outdoors in our side yard. It's in hot sun most days (its 100 degrees out right now at 2pm), very dry conditions most of the year with potentially up to 50 inches of winter rain and perhaps a day of light snow.

For years I've used cheap universal covers. First I used a StormPro cover from Amazon which lasted about 2 1/2 years for about $140. Last year I switched to the Classic Accessories Dryguard Waterproof Boat Cover from Amazon for about $190.

So far I'm very happy with the Dryguard. It seems to be holding up much better than the StormPro. My boat is clean and dry when I remove the Dryguard. The DryGuard doesn't fit like a custom cover but it works just find. I would not trailer the boat with the DryGuard cover on.

Last edited:
Go get a price on a custom Sunbrella cover from your local upholstery shop. It will last the life of the boat and add a selling point that the new owners won't have to waste money on a cover every 3-4 years.
Sunbrella has a 7 year warranty. That is just about how long my Honda ski Sunbrella cover lasted. 7 years isn't bad. If you pay anywhere near the Sunbrella custom cover price of about $900 that's $128 per year. I think there are less expensive options.

A good custom canvas shop will sew backing onto the Sunbrella in all areas where chaffing could happen. My cover was just over $1100 and guaranteed something like 10 years.

I also use a shipping cover frequently whenever the boat is sitting at home between outings. Just put it over the Sunbrella covers to further protect them. Take the shipping cover off for towing.

Here is my solution that I've posted a few times before.

I keep the expensive Yamaha cover in the garage and only use it for trips over 50 miles. It fits great of course and is good for high speed driving. I used the Yamaha cover only twice last year. Once when we took a 60 mile trip, and for a week or so for boat storage between cheap universal covers. For trips under 50 miles that are usually under 50mph I don't cover the boat, but need to make sure I keep the windshield and lower door closed so cushions don't blow out.

My boat is kept outdoors in our side yard. It's in hot sun most days (its 100 degrees out right now at 2pm), very dry conditions most of the year with potentially up to 50 inches of winter rain and perhaps a day of light snow.

For years I've used cheap universal covers. First I used a StormPro cover from Amazon which lasted about 2 1/2 years for about $140. Last year I switched to the Classic Accessories Dryguard Waterproof Boat Cover from Amazon for about $190.

So far I'm very happy with the Dryguard. It seems to be holding up much better than the StormPro. My boat is clean and dry when I remove the Dryguard. The DryGuard doesn't fit like a custom cover but it works just find. I would not trailer the boat with the DryGuard cover on.
What size dry guard did you get? This makes a lot of sense.

My brand new, 2 year old leftover SX240 with 2.8 hours on her (only had .7 at delivery) was stored for 2 years in NE Oklahoma. My boat is in the shop as we speak. Why? The hydroturf, that has never seen the sun is so dried out from the heat, that it is already chalking and still looks brand new. And ALL of my hose clamps in the engine compartment are rusting and they have not even seen the water except for the water test at the factory...until I took delivery 4 weeks ago. All of this because it was stored under a cover that does not breath. I would recommend against using the shipping cover for storage, it will shorten the life of other components...but it certainly will protect the boat. Also, my shipping cover only saw one tow successfully...from Vonore, Tennessess to Ketchum, Oklahoma. It then sat for 2 years. And in less than 30 minutes and at speeds under 50mph, to get out of the winding Grand Lake area roads, the shipping cover started to shred. UV is a bitch, it will eat any cover you have. I like the Deluxe Mooring and Trailering cover because it can be had for in the $400's vs higher, and whatever the warranty, if you store outside, you will suffer some degrading, regardless of fabric. Sunbrella may last longer, but it is sure pricey. Hope 3X the cost gets at least 6 to 8 years. I am like some guys however, mine isn't stored outdoors, so a better cover is important, but the deluxe is great as an indoor cover. It is a good outdoor too...it just won't take the UV 24/7 for more than 2 to 4 years.

What size dry guard did you get? This makes a lot of sense.
I ordered the 22-24'. It is long enough but our Yamahas have large top sides (above the bond line) so it barely fits down to the bond line on both sides. About 2" of the white side above the bond line on one side is exposed for about 3 or 4 feet. Since one side of my boat is shaded by a fence and bushes I always have the exposed part on that side. My boat of course is an SX210 so no tower and it's only 21'. Not sure what to suggest for larger boats. I see the OPs is 24'. The DryGuard 22-24' might not fit that boat. The length might be okay but I'm not sure about the width.

Last edited:
About $1200 after tax. They did the job in 3 days.

@BigN8 how is your cover holding up after a year? are you still happy with it? I've have to get a new one and I don't think I'm going with the yamaha version,

Just fine. No change at all. It's very heavy fabric.

My oem Yamaha cover lasted me 3 seasons. It only stayed water proof for one season. Last season it started to rip over the bow nav light and the windshield. I just ordered a new cover this year from jetboatpilot. I think I picked up the last of his $300 blow outs so I'm pretty happy with that price!

My oem Yamaha cover lasted me 3 seasons. It only stayed water proof for one season. Last season it started to rip over the bow nav light and the windshield. I just ordered a new cover this year from jetboatpilot. I think I picked up the last of his $300 blow outs so I'm pretty happy with that price!

Mine last about 3 years (that is pushing it). I also ordered a cover when jetboatpilot had their blow out. My covers are on under a covered dock and they still only last about three years.

All this talk about covers.....each year I think to myself, "Self, will this be the year the cover goes south?" Funny thing is I never get an answer, I suppose when I do that will be the time to worry.

But until then I'll just continue to use this stuff on my cover:

303 fabric.jpg
I use it on the bimini too. That's still in great shape too.

But you guys keep all this info flowing. Never know when I'll need to buy one and this is the best source for the best deals.

Back