• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Crab Island, Destin Floatilla?

Tony Sweasy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Anyone in the area, the week of 21 May 2016, to 28 May, myself and one or two other boats will be enjoying anchoring at Crab Island, Destin, FLorida. Just let us us know and all is welcome to come and hang out in the community......

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm usually out there every weekend I have off (I work every other weekend now). I'll let you know as it gets closer. Me and @Albysure usually hang out there for a little while, then hit areas not so congested, or the Gulf.

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Destin- nation.

may be there - No plans officially yet for memorial weekend image.jpeg

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We just had our 3rd outing over the weekend at Crab Island and have discovered it to be our favorite place so far. Saw a few Yamahas out there and I did see a Chap 243 - lime green...beautiful boat. I went over to knock on the door, but nobody was home. Looks like they just picked it up as there were no registration numbers on it. Went west through the intra-coastal waterway a bit and got to play with some dolphins. We will be out there many more times this season and would like to meet up with others. @Tony Sweasy - we're both in Enterprise. I see a road trip in the near future. You in?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome @blackhawkpilot ! Dadgum you get around, haha. First Blue Angels in Pensacola and now Crab Island.

Glad you got to enjoy the beautiful water, because it won't be clear like that for a few weeks. Unfortunately, we have flooding rains coming this week, which yuks up the water. Will take some time to clear out with all the projected rain coming. Sucks. It's a low pressure in the Gulf that was suspected to become a Tropical System, however, it won't have time to form now.

But let me know next time you come down and we'll see if I'm out there.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yeah, we plan to make our rounds with this new toy. We've hit Lake Eufala as well. As much as these things cost, you might as well take advantage of it. Destin is by far our favorite. I just wish it was closer...makes for a long day trailering it all the way down and back in one day. I still have Shell Island and Lake Martin on the bucket list. LOVING the boat life!!!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I still want to trek over to Shell Island too. Kinda hard when I have all this in Destin. But keeping the window open for a time to hit the ICW to Shell Island.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We're heading to Crab Island this weekend (Sunday). Will anyone else be there?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have to work this weekend, so unfortunately I won't be out there @blackhawkpilot . But I made it out this past weekend. Water was great. Which I wasn't sure it would be, because of all the rain we've gotten.

Here's a pic from Saturday.

D9402487D4ED4164967F0D01CE2000FD.jpg

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@ToddW850 we were out at Crab Island yesterday and I thought I saw you out there, but it turned out to be someone else. He had the same boat you have with the tinted windows. Was displaying a Green Bay Packers flag and the stars 'n stripes. I was disappointed in the water, though. It was green versus the normal blue.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@ToddW850 we were out at Crab Island yesterday and I thought I saw you out there, but it turned out to be someone else. He had the same boat you have with the tinted windows. Was displaying a Green Bay Packers flag and the stars 'n stripes. I was disappointed in the water, though. It was green versus the normal blue.
Oh man. I wish it WAS me, instead of working. Yeah, unfortunately we have to deal with the darker water when it's Low Tide. That's when the water from the rivers and bays flow out into the Gulf. High Tide is the beautiful clear water from the Gulf coming into the pass and over Crab Island and we've been hitting High Tide at night lately. So most of the day, all we have to look at is the bay water.

But hopefully your next trip down will be good to go.[/QUOTE]

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hey @blackhawkpilot beautiful Chap! Sorry I don't mean to sideswipe this thread, but I've always been very curious as to how that box on the back of your VRX works? I think I remember reading that it is specific for Wake Surfing? Does it act similar to the Wake Wedge for the Yamahas by just barely deflecting some of the jet wash or does it do something entirely different? How well does it work? Any chance you can post a pic of the internals within the box?

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It's called the ASP (Aerial Surf Platform). You can see how it works in this video.

We're not really into the extreme water sports, but it came with the boat. Who knows...we may get into the water sports a little more once the kids start to learn and experiment. I HATE the ballast system as it takes up most of my storage under the seats and in the floor locker. As a matter of fact, I hate it so much that I'm thinking about having the dealer remove it. I do like the extra real estate on the swim platform. We filled up the ballast bags one time when we were doing the sea trial. Other than that, they just sit there using up my valuable storage.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@blackhawkpilot I took my paddleboard out to Crab Island today. The time for High Tide has shifted and is back to the daytime. You didn't miss it by much. Water was as clear as can be. Sorry you missed it.

BOTE IIII.jpg BOTE II.jpg

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It's called the ASP (Aerial Surf Platform). You can see how it works in this video.

We're not really into the extreme water sports, but it came with the boat. Who knows...we may get into the water sports a little more once the kids start to learn and experiment. I HATE the ballast system as it takes up most of my storage under the seats and in the floor locker. As a matter of fact, I hate it so much that I'm thinking about having the dealer remove it. I do like the extra real estate on the swim platform. We filled up the ballast bags one time when we were doing the sea trial. Other than that, they just sit there using up my valuable storage.
Thanks for the link! Yeah the bags take up most of the storage space in my boat too yet it's still not enough to surf ropeless without 5 or 6 adults onboard. It's difficult to tell from the video, are there any moving parts in the ASP box or just the scraper looking things in the corners that hang down a little?

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
No moving parts...just the "scraper looking things" that create the wake. With the bags full, the scrapers are (obviously) lower in the water creating a better wake. I should try it again one day and see what it looks like.

@ToddW850 thanks for those fine pictures. It's good to see that it cleared up so fast. That's the only reason I go out there.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
No moving parts...just the "scraper looking things" that create the wake. With the bags full, the scrapers are (obviously) lower in the water creating a better wake. I should try it again one day and see what it looks like.

@ToddW850 thanks for those fine pictures. It's good to see that it cleared up so fast. That's the only reason I go out there.
Got it, thanks for the inside info on the ASP box and happy boating!!

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@ToddW850 Looking like Saturday is going to be a good day for the tides. We'll be down there with some friends hanging out at Crab Island.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@blackhawkpilot yes the tides WILL be in your favor this weekend! Funny thing is, there will be 2 High Tides and 2 Low Tides Saturday and Sunday. However, the second High Tide will be at 1pm. It will be somewhat short lived, but better than nothing.

We have homecoming Saturday for my daughter's high school and will be getting her ready and pictures etc... Not sure I could swing a go this weekend. If I do, it will have to be early. I will see if I can convince everyone and squeeze it in. Will let you know.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Visiting from Texas and had to check out the infamous Crab Island party. Having a geat time! Walked up to 4 other Yamaha jetboats to meet fellow members but none of them knew about the forum. If course I invited them to join up. Too bad I forgot to bring my stickers to hand out. I usually keep spares in my boat but thats at home. We rented a pontoon for the day. The weather and water is perfect. And several floating cantinas makes it all a great hangout.

Attachments