• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Crack - need advice

misnMT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the boat (2010 SX240) for 4 years now. I am not sure how long this crack has been there. I noticed it when putting in new impellers and wear ring housing. It’s about the size of a quarter and side does move a little when pushed on relative to the other side of the crack. I think you can even see in the pic that there is some overlap where the two pieces meet. You'll have to zoom in to the pic to see it.
As an aside, I don’t recall an impact and is an inside corner like that a stress point?
I’ve done some research and based on the size, it doesn’t look like I need to fiberglass it. I’m leaning toward Dremeling out the crack, fill with epoxy, and then gelcoat.
Thoughts?
Thanks, Brian in SE Texas

Attachments

• boat rear arrow.jpg
    boat rear arrow.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 67
If you are going to mess with it, I would tap it with a screwdriver and hammer....lightly. This will expose if its blistered below and then you can get all of the loose gel out and re-gelcoat the spot. If you dont want to get that deep, just smear some sealant in the crack and recheck it once a year.

Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing 3M 5200 is the sealant you had in mind?

5200 will work, but pricey for just a little dab. The tube will dry at the mouth after it is open and be a pain if you need to use it again. in that area you could use pure silicone from a caulk tube, whatever is cheap and waterproof. You only need a dab to keep water from getting behind the gelcoat.

I would tap the crack and then perform the proper gelcoat repair. Fairly easy to work with.

5200 will work, but pricey for just a little dab. The tube will dry at the mouth after it is open and be a pain if you need to use it again. in that area you could use pure silicone from a caulk tube, whatever is cheap and waterproof. You only need a dab to keep water from getting behind the gelcoat.

Store your opened 4200, 5200 etc. tubes in the freezer, next to the blueberries. They will stay fresh and not dry up. It’s something about the blueberries lol.

43BB822C-839F-4B5C-B432-B4F9377CF3B4.jpeg

As far as the crack, it is most likely in a thicker application of the gelcoat.

Last edited:
Back