• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Crazy Anchoring Day!

I have only boated in non-tidal waters (e.g. inland lakes), but have been reading my Chapmans and studying a bit.

Recommendation from the tomes is that you only use a single anchor so that you do twist in the tides. I hear your point that you want to keep the bow to the current (and understand wanting to shield from rude boaters). Problem is that over time that current direction will change, which will mean that at some point you will not have the bow into the current (you will be taking it abeam or astern), which is never really good for many reasons. Especially if you are taking waves, you want your boat to twist so they hit the bow.

That said, everyone recognizes when you are coming into a crowded area, you have to mimic the first folks there (if everyone is bow and stern, you have to do so as well, or you wind up bumping).

Just something to consider.

I have only boated in non-tidal waters (e.g. inland lakes), but have been reading my Chapmans and studying a bit.

Recommendation from the tomes is that you only use a single anchor so that you do twist in the tides. I hear your point that you want to keep the bow to the current (and understand wanting to shield from rude boaters). Problem is that over time that current direction will change, which will mean that at some point you will not have the bow into the current (you will be taking it abeam or astern), which is never really good for many reasons. Especially if you are taking waves, you want your boat to twist so they hit the bow.

That said, everyone recognizes when you are coming into a crowded area, you have to mimic the first folks there (if everyone is bow and stern, you have to do so as well, or you wind up bumping).

Just something to consider.
That is very interesting. We have been anchoring for about 3 months now with the two anchor system and have gone through the low to high tide and high tide to almost low tide, we have not seen any shift at all, but I do see your point. I think where we were I would for sure only use 1 anchor if saying over night or all day since the current was crazy with the incoming tide, but where we’ve been anchoring, we have had no problems. However in our main anchorage we have always put the stern towards the shore. Not sure what happened last weekend, I guess we all make mistakes from time to time, but that is one I do not want to repeat!

Grab you a Chapmans. It is not that you do everything by the book every time. But if you understand why they tell you to do what they do in the book (which they explain pretty well), then it can better equip you for your situation. I have learned a lot of stuff and plenty I probably will never use. But it is interesting, and I think makes me a better captain.

Grab you a Chapmans. It is not that you do everything by the book every time. But if you understand why they tell you to do what they do in the book (which they explain pretty well), then it can better equip you for your situation. I have learned a lot of stuff and plenty I probably will never use. But it is interesting, and I think makes me a better captain.
Sounds like a good read! I’m one of the few on the planet that actually reads manuals!

Sounds like a good read! I’m one of the few on the planet that actually reads manuals!

You will understand the humor of your post if you actually lay hands on the 920-page ~8.5x11" tome...

I use a 10lb navy anchor on a 6-9 ft bungee line to keep the rear from wandering when beached or anchoring in a few feet of water. Its works well enough for wakes and wind. It is also easy enough to pull up when the river current picks up when they start generating.

I use a 10lb navy anchor on a 6-9 ft bungee line to keep the rear from wandering when beached or anchoring in a few feet of water. Its works well enough for wakes and wind. It is also easy enough to pull up when the river current picks up when they start generating.
That sounds awesome!

You will understand the humor of your post if you actually lay hands on the 920-page ~8.5x11" tome...
For me that is no big deal. I’ve read this book of Presidents that is way over that about 10 times, not sure why, but I’m a lover of history. I was in heaven when they made it into an ebook! I now have it on my iPhone.

Back