• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Crazy Weather

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is anyone else as puzzled by the weather as me? I have started watching the fight over water in CA and at the same time we are drowning here in north TX. Our lake went up 10' in 2 months and it seems there is no end in sight. Last night felt like Armageddon with the straight line winds, tornado warnings, and sideways driving rain and then the next 10 days looks just as bad. What the hell?? Is this a function of El Niño??

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've seen this over the years many, many times here in N. Texas. Don't know about CA but here is some perspective from story in San Jose News.

"Through studies of tree rings, sediment and other natural evidence, researchers have documented multiple droughts in California that lasted 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years -- compared to the mere three-year duration of the current dry spell. The two most severe megadroughts make the Dust Bowl of the 1930s look tame: a 240-year-long drought that started in 850 and, 50 years after the conclusion of that one, another that stretched at least 180 years.. Stine, who has spent decades studying tree stumps in Mono Lake, Tenaya Lake, the Walker River and other parts of the Sierra Nevada, said that the past century has been among the wettest of the last 7,000 years."

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We got DUMPED on briefly here around the Los Angeles area last night. Came down in torrents and stopped, poured again, then stopped. It's moving fast.
Should be in Texas by lunchtime! :eek::D

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I started this thread too about all this earlier today too.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/expect-ramp-closings-at-lake-ray-roberts.5561/
Having seen this myself a few times over my life, I know that it takes more than just a big rain to cause it. It takes cumulative rain and saturated grounds to cause water not to absorb but rather run off, filling all lakes. So California is going to need some repeated events to get the lakes to come back and get the ground water tables to recover. I think they have said that our north Texas weather is a result of El Nino, but not sure that is what really drives it...thinking instead that El Nino/La Nina patterns are just another sign or pattern of more controlling weather makers. Kind of like the signature they look for and predict based on it, but there are bigger things in play here too. I have read a few blurbs on it, but volcanic dust in the atmosphere is condensation nuclei...and that increases rains and conditions too...and we have had a big one in Chile, and that dust will circle the earth for days/months/years. Lots of factors in play, certainly above my pay grade! Wishing safety to everyone, don't take chances.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Condensation nuclei is a big term there Mel!!! I would have never guessed volcanic dust would be a factor. Very interesting and insightful.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting weather you guys are having, it's like that all the time here in Wales UK :confused:;)
Oklahoma has it a lot worse than we do in N. Texas, but it's hard for people outside the area to understand the potential for up to softball size hail and tornadoes. On the extreme, the 1999 tornado in Moore, Oklahoma completely destroyed or damaged 8,000 homes and killed scores of people. The Jarrel, TX and Witchita Falls, Tx tornadoes were over 1 mi wide and so powerful they were pulling asphalt off the roads. I've had 2 cars totaled over the years...one in softball size hail that broke every piece of glass and every body panel was damaged. The other was during another storm where there was hail and high winds and it knocked down a tree that took the cab of the truck down to the seats and steering wheel. There are well over 200 tornadoes/year in OK/TX.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They had grapefruit size hail out be Eastland near I 20 yesterday.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nothing like waking up on Mothers Day to the sounds of tornado sirens....

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I flew around that stuff coming into Dfw yesterday from seattle and had to deviate south of Stephenville. The overhanging anvil to the east
And north was full if cumulonimbus mammatus stretching for miles and miles.
image.jpg
It was smooth as glass running down the front of it just outside the overhang, but underneath and well clear of the clouds, reports of severe turbulence. That stuff stayed over that area for most of the day. No doubt they got hammered with hail and rain.

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not sure if this is a function of El Niño or el Nina, however what I do know is these are cyclical and history tends to repeat itself. I grew up in Texas and still live here and I can remember plenty of springs and summers of crazy rain and flash flooding, but can also remember those where it seemed like every meal we were praying for rain.

As for California I'm sure they are in a cycle as well and history is going to repeat itself there as well.

Obviously there are more factors at play such as water consumption/usage by the ever growing population. And for the Californians the questionable methods of a water bottling company possibly contributing to the problem.

I do expect over time the cycle to shift in favor for California....hopefully it will be this year.

What seems more strange to me is the amount of snow and ice Texas has experienced in the past few years. I really don't remover much of that as a kid. Some, but not like we've had over the past, say 4ish years.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'm 59, and a native Texan, growing up in Dallas and cabin on Texoma, but also some time in the Texas panhandle. I remember huge ice storms in the late 70's. And I too remember floods and droughts. My wife said earlier this year to me, "I think we will never see the lakes full again, they are just too low." Change is around the corner.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm 59, and a native Texan, growing up in Dallas and cabin on Texoma, but also some time in the Texas panhandle. I remember huge ice storms in the late 70's. And I too remember floods and droughts. My wife said earlier this year to me, "I think we will never see the lakes full again, they are just too low." Change is around the corner.
Mel- Tornado just passed by your area. Hope all is well.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah, Clara was in the shelter again. Went over Denton and Aubrey and missed us to the east. Thanks guys.

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad your safe. Been watching the radar today and that area has been getting a lot of rain & thunderstorms.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our sirens were going off so we stood on front porch watching for anything to develop. Took this pic of these clouds swirling. They said the rain associated with this one was 4"/hourimage.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll take hurricanes over those beasts any day!

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgShots from Hidden Cove on Lewisville

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral