• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Crooked on Trailer?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@DaBanker and @NoFla21 If you power load, it'll be hard to center as it slides around on the bunks. If you crank it on with the winch for the last 4-5 feet, it'll center itself. Power loading is prohibited in most areas around here to protect the environment, but people do it anyways and it always takes them twice as long to get it on the trailer compared to us loading it by lines and winching it up. I've never had to back any of my boats into the water again to re-center it because of hand loading.
yeah tried this and different trailer depths. I can get it better but have never seen my 252 perfectly level

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I always hand load my boat and I have guide posts. Adjusting my winch post so the the hull is within an inch or two of the bunks worked best for me. It’s still a little off.
Ok how much is a "little"? Are we talking half an inch or half a foot? Half an inch or so is nothing to be concerned about and no one else will notice, but if half a foot then you're doing something wrong or the trailer bunks are not set up correctly.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
yeah tried this and different trailer depths. I can get it better but have never seen my 252 perfectly level
Same thing - what is "perfectly level" for you? Are we talking about putting a level on the swim platform, or just getting it close by eye?

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is an odd issue. I always thought it was easy to center the boat on the trailer. Maybe the 19fts are easier than the longer boats.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Same thing - what is "perfectly level" for you? Are we talking about putting a level on the swim platform, or just getting it close by eye?
Close by eye. Even on best attempt it’s noticeablein rear view mirror or behind boat.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Known issue on 210 FSH. Loaded on trailer port side almost rubs fender. I don’t trailer far and just live with it. Solution is add 1” x 3” aluminum bars to trailer to raise the bunks. If I decide to trail any distance I will add the bars.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Ok how much is a "little"? Are we talking half an inch or half a foot? Half an inch or so is nothing to be concerned about and no one else will notice, but if half a foot then you're doing something wrong or the trailer bunks are not set up correctly.
Usually no more than 2"

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
It took me several crooked situations before I realized it is the depth at which your trailer is in the water causing the issue. I was always too deep. Also makes it a pain to get on the trailer at the ramp, i.e. drifting sideways in the wind, worried about hitting other boats. If you can drift right up to the bow roller or within 12" of it, you are probably too deep. You have to power onto the trailer at least 2' or more. The great thing is now when I approach I can give it more throttle which keeps it straight, no low speed drifting. You should hit the bunks and lift out of the water long before you hit the bow roller. As you power on, the bunks find their home and straightens you up. I usually end up cranking the last 6" on.

I know some ramps don't allow power loading, and that will suck for you!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
It took me several crooked situations before I realized it is the depth at which your trailer is in the water causing the issue. I was always too deep. Also makes it a pain to get on the trailer at the ramp, i.e. drifting sideways in the wind, worried about hitting other boats. If you can drift right up to the bow roller or within 12" of it, you are probably too deep. You have to power onto the trailer at least 2' or more. The great thing is now when I approach I can give it more throttle which keeps it straight, no low speed drifting. You should hit the bunks and lift out of the water long before you hit the bow roller. As you power on, the bunks find their home and straightens you up. I usually end up cranking the last 6" on.

I know some ramps don't allow power loading, and that will suck for you!
The water has been low at the ramps the last 2 years making it more difficult to float the boat at any depth, I’ve had to bury my fenders and still have to push it off. The same loading. Having to winch the last few feet. It still doesn’t center itself. I’m the only one I see manually launching and retrieving my boat. My wife cannot back my rig in.

kfox112

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I echo the comments about backing in too deep. Finding the right depth helps significantly.

Also of note, breeze and current can have an impact. I remember struggling for a while thinking something on my trailer had broken once because every time I’d winch my boat up it would go crooked. A nice gentleman on the dock pointed out that although not strong, there was a bit of a current and he held one of my docklines while I winched and it went straight on. It was so subtle I had no idea that was the cause.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The water has been low at the ramps the last 2 years making it more difficult to float the boat at any depth, I’ve had to bury my fenders and still have to push it off. The same loading. Having to winch the last few feet. It still doesn’t center itself. I’m the only one I see manually launching and retrieving my boat. My wife cannot back my rig in.
Do you have guide posts on your trailer? If not, they might help. I have a set with pads on them set very close to the rub rails, within an inch. They help getting you centered, still not perfect if you are too deep, but better. I did experience the same crooked trouble you are having the last time I was out. It was a very low angle ramp. Had to get the truck in to almost the front tires! Maybe there is a geometry issue with low angle loading. I failed trigonometry so I’ll let one of the engineers speak to that one!

Last edited:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Do you have guide posts on your trailer? If not, they might help. I have a set with pads on them set very close to the rub rails, within an inch. They help getting you centered, still not perfect if you are too deep, but better. I did experience the same crooked trouble you are having the last time I was out. It was a very low angle ramp. Had to get the truck in to almost the front tires! Maybe there is a geometry issue with low angle loading. I failed trigonometry so I’ll let one of the engineers speak to that one!
Yes, I have guide posts, allowing about 2 " on each side.

curt_star05

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This last time, I tried with the bunks a few feet out of the water. I don't think the trailer was too deep.
I'm actually experiencing this also. Started off loading a little too deep, then the last two times I came out the water a lot more. The results were a little better but still not centered. The boat still sat on one bunk where the boat curved out making the boat lean a tad bit.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I'm actually experiencing this also. Started off loading a little too deep, then the last two times I came out the water a lot more. The results were a little better but still not centered. The boat still sat on one bunk where the boat curved out making the boat lean a tad bit.
My boat is a PIA to launch and retrieve whether the trailer is submerged or not. Shorelandr never set it up correctly

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My boat is a PIA to launch and retrieve whether the trailer is submerged or not. Shorelandr never set it up correctly
They're not that hard to adjust...get a pic of another trailer and configure it the same. Luckily my trailer seems properly adjusted and launches and loads easily and centers itself when pulling it on with dock lines. If it's off a bit, driving 10 minutes down the road centers it.

I also find launching it with the fenders just under the water works well, and loading it with the fenders 1/3 out of the water to get it on and crank it a few feet then backing up another foot or two to finish cranking centers it well.

If you power load, it can be all over the place. If so, perhaps drive it on gently, then crank it the last few feet which should center it up.