• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cruising the Potomac River in NoVa and D.C.?

Manannán

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First post (yeah yeah, I'll post pics of the new boat in 'Welcome Aboard' next) but I've been on this site for a while, it was instrumental in us getting our 2017 AR190 this summer, and an incredible resource for this first-time boat owner. So far we've been cruising around Lake Anna, tubing in the coves with the kids, docking at Tim's or The Cove, but we'd like to cruise up to D.C. before it's too cold. I'm happy to see quite a few of you (tagged at the end) are old hat at this, and hoping to get a few answers before we go.

First question: shallow water. Gotta love a jetboat's shallow draft, but I know the Potomac will test those limits. Do you recommend a simple depth finder, charts, GPS, or... is there an app for that? :-D No, seriously, IS there an app for that?

Second question: boat ramps to get in. We don't want to be TOO far south from D.C. Pohick Bay park seems to be popular, but as a vet/DoD on Ft. Belvoir, I can use those two ramps if those are nicer? Or are there any open-to-the-public ramps on the Occoquan anyone recommends?

Third question: destinations. So I know where we'd LIKE to stop (my wife and I met while we were both living inside the Beltway and know the area pretty well... from land) but exactly where can a family in an AR190 just pull up, tie off, and come ashore for food, fun and more? Occoquan? Quantico? National Harbor? Old Town? The Wharf? Georgetown? Is there 'public parking' on any docks? Secret signs/symbols I should look for?

Forth question: recommendations! I used to live in Old Town, biked up to Georgetown and down to Mount Vernon countless times (a wonderful workout with amazing views) but I've never done that route from the water... but I'm pretty sure some of you (@ToxicVT @PaulyB @PortTobacco II @motomandan @YamahaziPilot @mbtodd @GeauxDeep @kgower @latitudeadjuster ) have! Tell me, tell me! And THANK YOU for your advice, I'll toss you a cold one if I see you passing by!

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recommend Garmin’s Navionics app for maps and depth charts. It is only $10 for a one year subscription. It is a great alternative to buying a fish finder, if you don’t fish.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most of my boating when I lived in Southern MD took me south of the 301 Bridge. Probably too far from where you are looking to boat.
If you are interested in the circled part of the Potomac....I could give you some suggestions.

1632409600712.png

motomandan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Most of my boating when I lived in Southern MD took me south of the 301 Bridge. Probably too far from where you are looking to boat.
If you are interested in the circled part of the Potomac....I could give you some suggestions.

View attachment 164074
same for me!

Manannán

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 164074
Is that 'big water' for an AR190... or still relatively smooth/comfortable cruising (as long as the wind is nothing more than a slight breeze)? I imagine the Chesapeake is too much for a 19 footer!

motomandan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Is that 'big water' for an AR190... or still relatively smooth/comfortable cruising (as long as the wind is nothing more than a slight breeze)? I imagine the Chesapeake is too much for a 19 footer!
Plenty of 19 footers out there!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

View attachment 164074
I haven't done much boating on the Potomac River, but have spent my fair share of time and money (my daughter is a St Mary's College grad) in this area. Point Lookout State Park (at the tip, below St. Mary's) has a very nice public boat ramp with lots of parking. There is also a small campground there as well.

Jim

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello from Southern MD...!

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I started with a SeaDoo(Poo) Challenger 18' on the Potomac. Just got to check the weather and small craft advisories. I have been really relying the BoatUS app down here in Florida. The Weather tab on the BoatUS has been great for me down here. If it says Smooth water or 5knots, I am pretty confident we will have a nice time on water with my 24'.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a Garmin EchoMap GPS and installed it on my boat before testing the Potomac, but really if you can ready channel markers, you wont really have any issues. I have boated from Gilligan's pier, which is just north of the 301 Bridge, all the way up past Georgetown. I used Leesylvania state park to launch for most of my outings. If I wanted to go hang out in Georgetown or anywhere in DC and didnt feel like taking the boat up, I would trailer to Columbia Island Marina just across from the Pentagon, if I recall, it costs $5 to put in and $5 to pull out, it puts you right in DC. You could also use Gravelly Point, just outside of Reagan National Airport too. I believe it is free. At Georgetown you can tie up to the wall right at the waterfront. You will see alot of people just tied up hanging out on their big boats. Old towne Alexandria, you have to reach out to the Harbormaster and they charge for parking if I remember correctly.. I used to park at Gangplank Marina just south of the Wharf and I think I could park there for free at one time to go catch a Nats game, but I think they changed to make you pay now. The Wharf had a few places you can park your boat for free, but I havent been there in a while, so that may have changed now as it has probable gotten more popular. National Harbor, i believe you have to pay to dock, and I think it was one of the more expensive places to dock in the area. Going down the river, there is Belmont Bay, where the Occoquan meets the Potomac. Its a good place to go chill and hang out with other boaters. It has a nice sandy beach that you can get out of the water and hang out on. Fairview Beach has Rick's on the River, it is about 30 minutes south of Belmont Bay, and a cool vibe to it, but I think it is closed for the season now.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
+1 on Leesylvania state park. Nice ramps, clean bathrooms, plenty of parking, usually not too crowded. The channel is well marked and you can choose to be in a crowd of people or not between there and downtown DC. On a north or south wind, you will get some chop from the long fetch across the water there but usually not too bad.