• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Custom trailer

Chichi1108

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gents,

i currently own a 2019 ar195 and I’m looking to add a jet ski to my collection. Problem I’m having is hauling both toys to the water. Has anyone on this page had any experience or dealt with this issue?
I have tried calling a few shops here in NC but have had no luck on getting one fabricated to haul both toys!
If I posted in the wrong area I’m sorry.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Sounds difficult to engineer a custom trailer for two different sized water craft and sounds like it would make loading / unloading a PITA. What about having a hitch point put on your boat trailer to haul the ski behind it? Or a custom truck bed ramp/bunk/winch system?

Edit: with the truck bed option, you'll need to mind your weight distribution and probably need air bags on the suspension.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Holy crap. @Chichi1108 you may need a bigger boat for that trailer!!
I assume you have considered the fact a single jet ski can be pulled by pretty much anything with a motor and wheels (assuming you aren't driving hundreds of miles to the ramp). I used to haul all sorts of stuff in a small utility trailer behind a VW jetta with a class I hitch on the back. Most class I hitches will fit almost all small cars have 2000lb tow capacity and 200lb tongue weight limit.
Just a thought as I don't know your exact situation.

Chichi1108

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off thank you for the responses!
I have thought of using two cars the only issue with that is wifey lol! We are both in the military and have two kids so going from fort Bragg to the beach or even the lake is a process of it’s own already haha.. so In order to avoid taking two cars I was trying to weigh my options.. plus a lot has to do with the drive back, when your driving and looking around in your car and everyone is asleep if that makes sense haha

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In that case easiest solution is having a friend with a truck that can join you for weekend outings and doesn’t mind pulling jetskis. Even better is if that friend already has the jet skis.

Chichi1108

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In that case easiest solution is having a friend with a truck that can join you for weekend outings and doesn’t mind pulling jetskis. Even better is if that friend already has the jet skis.
Yea this is what it’s looking like will end up happening.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I saw a post recently where someone was tandem towing a jet ski behind a boat, can’t remember where I saw it though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Tandem towing laws vary by state and it seems like a PITA but may solve your problem.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Found it. Post from the Facebook jetboaters.net group. Leonard Maraist posted it. Not sure if he’s on this side of the forum, but if you go on Facebook you could message him and ask him how he got the setup:
963480A4-F320-4220-8E91-5F5EA3D70D75.jpeg

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure tandem or triple towing is not allowed in NC. I've seen it out west but not on east coast. I would call North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles, Enforcement Section, 1100 New Bern Ave., Raleigh NC 27697; (919) 861-3186 before you spend any money on this.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Found it. Post from the Facebook jetboaters.net group. Leonard Maraist posted it. Not sure if he’s on this side of the forum, but if you go on Facebook you could message him and ask him how he got the setup:
View attachment 112022
So with a setup like that, does he launch the ski's first and still hitched to the boat? That would be some amazing back-up skills. I assume he unhooks and dances them around.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The tandem trailing is the cheapest solution.
if NC dies not allow it the find a way to eliminate the pivot point and a fixed connection, then technically it is“one triple axle” . Especially if you have a single ski , it 5 feet wide and rather easy to tow behind the boat. I have researched this as we have a 240 and a single. I never moved forward with the tandem towing because our Toyota Prius tow the ski without any issues, aobb B it a really easy tow for my wife. Granted our lake here is like45 minutes from home.

JJ-B-Boatin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is probably just a matter of finding the right trailer shop to build you a custom trailer for jetski and boat. I have no idea how much that would cost, probably not cheap, but have seen it done before. This is one company that custom builds trailers.

Custom Built Boat Trailers, CA | SHADOW TRAILERS Even has a yamaha! :)

Please note that is just an example found while searching the internet. I am not affiliated with them in anyway, shape or form.

Chichi1108

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gents, thank you for all the replies. I’m honestly interested in the tandom trailer option if not I guess taking two vehicles is just going to have to do. I’ll continue looking into the law to see if it’s an option and let you know my findings.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@anmut, most that tow in this way disconnect the last trailer once they get to their destination and then swap trailers to use them one at a time.

Triple towing is more common with a boat behind a camper; I’ve seen people triple towing on I-95 through the Carolinas, but that doesn’t mean it’s legal there. It’s fairly common and definitely legal in other eastern states like Michigan. There are some good articles and forums online about triple towing.

Rammrodd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I can't be certain, but I believe triple towing is only legal on a fifth wheel setup. That's how most do it up here in Minnesota.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’ve only ever seen double trailers where the first one behind the truck is a 5th wheel. Probably something to do with the tongue weight. Speaking of, a custom ski/boat trailer has a high tongue weight for sure. The guy on here I saw towed with either a dually or single, but 1-ton pickup. I believe his tongue weight was over 1000#.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ram 3500 dually

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've seen a few alternatives to getting a trailer custom built. If its a single/standup ski, like a superjet, you may be able to mount it on the swim deck. I also seen a 500+ 1996 seadoo gtx (3 seater) mounted to the side of the trailer's tongue. Finally, if your tow vehicle is a truck you may be able to put a pivoting stand in the bed that will hold your pwc (usually with the bow over the cab). My family does it the old fashioned way, we use two tow vehicles but because its such a hassle we only bring the boat and waverunners out together two to three times a season. Good luck finding a solution that works best for you.