• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dealer Installed Interior/Exterior Protection???

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
64A0804A-7C62-422A-8493-905AF769CACD.jpeg 507BE76F-E0B4-48D6-973E-068C0BDFC6DD.jpeg B6DB840F-48E9-4931-AD1A-D4FC3ACC03F8.jpeg

So, the finance lady sent an email asking for us to look at the brochure for the interior and/or exterior protection system they can apply to our new Scarab 215 ID.

I know these type of dealer installed things are usually way overpriced, and not worth it, but figured we should atill ask about them.

I don’t have a price yet, but allegedly the interior is proetected from about anything and everything that could happen...

We won’t do the additional engine warranty due to we are supposed to have 5yrs total due to when we ordered our 215 ID during the “fall into savings” promo.

I should add we will be trailering the 215 ID 99% of the time, but probably parking it outside with a cover only. I should add that from ~ Nov- Apr the 21 ID will be parked inside during our awesome Mi Winters!

So who has added this type of protection system, and was it worth it?

Price is $1200, for both the interior and exterior from what I understand.

TY!!!

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have something similar on my truck, makes washing a breeze and keeps light scratches out.

If they will repair gelcoat damage if you hit a dock to hard or something too - and it is under 1.5k - I would prob do it.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
View attachment 85890 View attachment 85888 View attachment 85889

So, the finance lady sent an email asking for us to look at the brochure for the interior and/or exterior protection system they can apply to our new Scarab 215 ID.

I know these type of dealer installed things are usually way overpriced, and not worth it, but figured we should atill ask about them.

I don’t have a price yet, but allegedly the interior is proetected from about anything and everything that could happen...

We won’t do the additional engine warranty due to we are supposed to have 5yrs total due to when we ordered our 215 ID during the “fall into savings” promo.

I should add we will be trailering the 215 ID 99% of the time, but probably parking it outside with a cover only. I should add that from ~ Nov- Apr the 21 ID will be parked inside during our awesome Mi Winters!

So who has added this type of protection system, and was it worth it?

TY!!!
I will say that most likely the product that they use is a product that you can buy yourself.

Personally I washed my boat with dawn soap to strip the wax that was applied, if there was any. Then I applied a sealant (rejex) and waxed over top of it. The interior I use 303 on the interior. My boat looks better than when I purchased it new 3 years ago. I use rejex on all my vehicles and even my fleet of Semis.

http://rejex.com/

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-marine-recreation-aerospace-protectant/

I purchased my stuff off the cheapest website.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I have something similar on my truck, makes washing a breeze and keeps light scratches out.

If they will repair gelcoat damage if you hit a dock to hard or something too - and it is under 1.5k - I would prob do it.
Email back states it is $1200 for the vantage system. I don’t know if Dock rash would be covered. Will have to look into that...

I will say that most likely the product that they use is a product that you can buy yourself.

Personally I washed my boat with dawn soap to strip the wax that was applied, if there was any. Then I applied a sealant (rejex) and waxed over top of it. The interior I use 303 on the interior. My boat looks better than when I purchased it new 3 years ago. I use rejex on all my vehicles and even my fleet of Semis.

http://rejex.com/

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-marine-recreation-aerospace-protectant/

I purchased my stuff off the cheapest website.
I was just looking at the rejex site, it looks interesting...

How long does it seem to last on a boat? Do you keep your boat in the water, or trailer it? The only time we will keep our boat in the water is when we are camping and can dock it or anchor it near shore. And maybe for a weekend here or there if we can find a willing dock owner. :)

The rejex is intriguing because I could possibly do multiple coats once we have the boat home next spring, before the weather is nice enough to go out on the lake.

I looked into the ceramic coating, but at ~$3,000 for a 21’ boat, and the fact I was told it may last just a couple years was crazy!!!

TY!!!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Email back states it is $1200 for the vantage system. I don’t know if Dock rash would be covered. Will have to look into that...

How long does it seem to last on a boat? Do you keep your boat in the water, or trailer it? The only time we will keep our boat in the water is when we are camping and can dock it or anchor it near shore. And maybe for a weekend here or there if we can find a willing dock owner. :)

The rejex is intriguing because I could possibly do multiple coats once we have the boat home next spring, before the weather is nice enough to go out on the lake.

I looked into the ceramic coating, but at ~$3,000 for a 21’ boat, and the fact I was told it may last just a couple years was crazy!!!

TY!!!
I trailer the boat. I do keep mine indoor storage. Its not heated or cooled, just your typical storage unit. I clean and rejex at the beginning of the season and the end. It is suppose to last longer, but I just do it because its really easy to do. If you use rejex make sure to read the application procedure, especially the temp. Quite a few people here use it as well.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

TY!!!
I was under the impression this was a form of ceramic. However still might be worth it if they fix fiberglass damage.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I was under the impression this was a form of ceramic. However still might be worth it if they fix fiberglass damage.
The brochure pic I posted above states a “nano” technology. I’m not for sure exactly what it is yet... still trying to research.

My wife is going to grab any and all paperwork for it if time allows this afternoon since she is down by the dealer.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would not do it. Check out all of the reviews of ceramic / nano coating for cars posted by professional paint correction/detailers, and you will find that it is mostly hype - at best does about the same as a good synthetic wax applied yearly. You can read my post about polishing /waxing my boat (100% salt water); the cost of the product used was about $4. As you can see in photo with my post, it would be hard to make it any better. It has been almost 2 months, and it is still just like the photo.

If it is so incredible, why don't the manufacturers of cars, planes, boats, motorcycles apply it at the factory? You know like TruCoat in the movie Fargo.

Reached the 1 year plus mark - time to polish/wax the boat
Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elliott, Oct 20, 2018.

Reflection in Yamaha FSH 190 boat Gelcoat.jpg

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
From reading that, dock rash would obviously not be covered. The interior coverage sounds interesting to me though, especially if you could get it for $600 or less. It's easy to keep a boat interior looking nice, and also really easy to fuck it up unintentionally. A single tear or stain could easily cost you hundreds. I'd want to see the fine print to see what is needed to maintain that coverage over five years.

The outside? Meh. Keep it cleaned and waxed.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would not do it. Check out all of the reviews of ceramic / nano coating for cars posted by professional paint correction/detailers, and you will find that it is mostly hype - at best does about the same as a good synthetic wax applied yearly. You can read my post about polishing /waxing my boat (100% salt water); the cost of the product used was about $4. As you can see in photo with my post, it would be hard to make it any better. It has been almost 2 months, and it is still just like the photo.
I would have to strongly disagree. After having my first truck with ceramic - it is light years ahead of any wax I have ever used. #1 is scratch resistance... I try to be good at washing and use two buckets method but even then I still ended up with swirls. Zero on the truck. #2 is the truck stays much cleaner... means I have to wash less, which is another big factor for me, especially because it takes a solid two hours to wash the truck. At a 5-7 year life - that means I probably save several days in labor of not having re-waxing/polishing/etc. Oh and it looks phenomenal, I am sure some great product could get you there on looks, but again less work to make it look great all the time. Granted some people are getting taxed for ceramic, at some of the price points I do not think it was worth it.... at what I paid I will do it every time to every car I own moving forward.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would have to strongly disagree. After having my first truck with ceramic - it is light years ahead of any wax I have ever used. #1 is scratch resistance... I try to be good at washing and use two buckets method but even then I still ended up with swirls. Zero on the truck. #2 is the truck stays much cleaner... means I have to wash less, which is another big factor for me, especially because it takes a solid two hours to wash the truck. At a 5-7 year life - that means I probably save several days in labor of not having re-waxing/polishing/etc. Oh and it looks phenomenal, I am sure some great product could get you there on looks, but again less work to make it look great all the time. Granted some people are getting taxed for ceramic, at some of the price points I do not think it was worth it.... at what I paid I will do it every time to every car I own moving forward.

I am glad your coating has worked for you. You did not mention how long you have had the coating and whether you have to have it refreshed (many coating sellers require a once or twice a year refresh at an additional charge to maintain a warranty - the warranty means you get another application, not a refund).

For many people using these coatings, they find out that its life span can be as low as one year depending on conditions (hence the common requirement for the refreshes), and these coatings are easily marred by hard water spots (a common problem). Many people are initially very happy with their coating, because the applier prepared the vehicle's paint prior to the application. The preparation would involve removing all embedded contaminants (like claying the paint), correcting the paint and polishing the paint. The purchaser sees their vehicle with near perfect paint (nearly flat surface with virtually no issues = very reflective) for the first time (better than new from the dealership), and they are very impressed. Also, the clean/prepared surface with any coating or wax/sealant is much easier to keep clean.

As to you scratching/swirling the paint's surface while washing your truck, it should not happen; there must be some flaw in the process or chemicals/equipment. Our oldest vehicle is over 8 years old, and it has near perfect paint all over (minus the unavoidable rock chips to the front air dam/ bumper area). I have only polished the hood and roof areas once to remove some hard water spots.

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I paint cars for a living and we do a lot of hi end German cars, I can tell the ones that have a ceramic coating or something like ziebart diamond coating because you can't hardly scuff it. I have to use a thinner or sometime tide powder to get it off of the panel I need to paint. I've been looking at some to put on my boat and truck, there are all kinds on ebay for sale with prices all over the place

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is no product on the market that is soooo great that it protects sooo long. It’s purley profit for your dealer and a small insurance plan on your cosmetic look. $1200? Pass! Simply wash and maintain your boat normally (which you have to do anyway) and all will be fine.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My comments are not to discredit @Kevin hughes because he is correct about ceramic coatings on automotive clear coat paint. Gel coat is a diffferant beast because it fades and is much softer than an automotive finish thusly not worth any upgraded miracle protectant.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Look, I'm not going to tell anyone what to spend money on, it's your boat, your money and everyone treats their equipment differently. This was my last boat, a 2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport. It was stored in "cold" storage during Wisconsin Winters and kept on the side of my house all summer long and trailered. All I did was wash it just about every time I pulled out of the water with (insert boat soap name here) and waxed it twice a year, that's it. No magical coatings, pixie dust or keebler elves waving magic wands, just soap, water and wax, for years. That said, the sun is different in my neck of the woods compared to, lets say Arizona or Florida, but as long as you take care of your shit, it's gonna take care of you... Minus a couple dock scrapes. Does this wizzardly magic work? Who the heck knows. But I do know what does work. You hit a dock/boat/pylon/whatever, it's gonna leave a mark, nothings gonna stop that, unless someone invents clear, paper-thin "diamond" coating for boats. And there's you Billion dollar idea, you're welcome. IMG_3585.JPG IMG_5370.JPG IMG_5371.JPG

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
There is no product on the market that is soooo great that it protects sooo long. It’s purley profit for your dealer and a small insurance plan on your cosmetic look. $1200? Pass! Simply wash and maintain your boat normally (which you have to do anyway) and all will be fine.
That is true there is no product that protects so long. They all have to be reapplied and even the stuff from dealers you can find at other places with some research. $1200 is stupid hi and every dealer is out to make a profit! So if they charge $1200 odds are they have 600 or less in it and that includes labor to put it on. I have worked and managed a few dealership bodyshops and Mark up is usually hi.
just for the record I wasn't offended at all I got your point and I don't offended easily

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
TY all for the opinions.

We skipped it when we signed last week on our 215 ID.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For anyone reading this thread someday about "Vantage Protection Systems", or other types of ceramic coatings offered on your new boat from your dealer... from personal experience I would NOT recommend it. I thought I was prepared for everything when I negotiated the sale of our boat, all the extras we would need, etc - but this was never on my radar. When we went to sign, we were taken into the dealership's managers office, and he then the upsell started to happen; warranties, etc. He REALLY went out of his way to sell us on "Vantage" and did a pretty fantastic job because somehow I ended up adding $1,300 to the financing of our boat to get it - the warranty on the interior really pushed us over the edge. At the time.

But now 1 year later, here's my feedback on how the stuff worked on our 2020 AR210...

1. The cost was around $1,300 for 3 years protection/warranty. After 3 years I can have them apply it again for like $800 and extend protection for another couple years.

2. Did it help with the interior protection? Absolutely 100% NOT. Whatever they put on the cushions I don't think works any better or longer than ArmorAll. Literally everything that hits the white part of our cushions immediately stains and is hard to get out! Especially little bugs, like gnats. I have gotten very good at getting the stains out, but only via some heavy duty methods (I use a bristlebrush and Meguilars degreaser). I'm never able to just use a regular cleaner and cloth to wipe out stains, and I've never seen a fabric that stains quicker. But this is really more due to Yamaha's white vinyl they use, and maybe lots of other white boat seats are that way too... but I'm confident there's absolutely no way that the Vantage stuff helped in anyway, cause MAN my boat's seats are tough to clean!

3. Is the interior warranty worth it? Sounds good because unlike the exterior warranty, the interior warranty basically covers any kind of conceivable rip, burn, or stain. But paying $1,300, to warranty your seat cushions for 3 years? Save your money and use it to replace them worst case scenario. If I accidentally burned or cut one of my seat cushions over the next 3 years.. I could buy a new one from the dealer (or 2 or 3) for less than $1,300. After 1 year my seats are still immaculate - but only because I take care of them (and are constantly cleaning them because they stain so easily lol).

4. Did it help with exterior protection? No - at least I don't think so more than any other ceramic coating. My boat gets water spots everytime I come out of the lake, it doesn't resist waterspots any better than my 05 grand cherokee that I haven't waxed in half a decade. I'm constantly cleaning waterspots by hand off my hull, I've found the "Hot Sauce" product works best for it. So if it's not helping prevent water spots (despite their claims to do so), I doubt it's doing much else. And I should mention that in just 1 year I've gotten scratches/rash from anytime I've bumped ANYTHING. Granted, Vantage doesn't claim that it will help with any kind of dock rash/scratches, and it definitely does NOT, nor is that warrantied.

5. So what does it really do or warranty for your exterior then, if it doesn't help protect against water spots or scratches? Basically "weather induced fading" would be covered. Which... how many brand new boat hulls would really ever have a problem with the paint fading within 3 years??

So basically, the product hasn't demonstrated anything of value to me. I feel like whatever they put on the seats did nothing, and would have worn off quickly. I don't feel like what they put on the hull did anything either, since water spots easily stick to it and don't come off without handbuffing with a good cleaner. Yes the boat still looks good otherwise and glossy, but come on - it's a brand new boat, and I'm constantly cleaning it with Hot Sauce anyway due to the aforementioned water spots. I think the company sells something no better than the ceramic stuff you can buy yourself, and they are banking their business model on the fact that the things they cover on the warranty are extremely unlikely to happen or be issues on brand new boats. The only cool thing was that they tell you don't need to/shouldn't wax your boat for the 3 years. That sounded great to me at the time, but I don't know if that's actually a good thing... how do I even know their product is still even on there at this point after many boat rides, car washes, and hand cleaning? At least if you did your own ceramic coating once a year you'd know it's good... So in the end, I regret paying $1,300 and even worse - putting it on my financing and paying for this over the life of the loan. Dealers will push this so hard, not because it really works, but because it's an upsell that's almost all profit for them.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My comments are not to discredit @Kevin hughes because he is correct about ceramic coatings on automotive clear coat paint. Gel coat is a diffferant beast because it fades and is much softer than an automotive finish thusly not worth any upgraded miracle protectant.
Funny what I have learned over the last 2 years since I made this comment. I have experienced a quality ceramic coating (Ceramic Pro) on red gelcoat that is simply amazing thus far. Ceramic coatings are evolving quickly but some are cost prohibitive. You get what you pay for I guess. If you are going to get a coating put, on seek out a pro in your area and dont rely on the dealers lot boy to know wtf hes doing to your boat.