• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dealer service if not bought from them

Cletusinva

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Hello, newbie here. I’m about ready to buy either a used boat from a private seller or a new boat from a dealer not in my area. I’ve had a boat on order from my local dealer since Sept 2021 and still no real visibility if I will ever get that boat and don’t want to miss another summer hoping and waiting.
My question for the group is do you think a local dealer will service a boat not purchased from them? Lord knows I tried going local but I just don’t want to risk it but not sure if the local dealer will see it that way. Nothing else around me unless 4 hour drive.
Thanks.

I’ve done this a couple of times, never had an issue. I guess you never know how they’re going to react but it would be pretty silly for them to turn down service business because you lost patience waiting.

If I were you and concerned, I’d just tell them you found a boat somewhere else and couldn’t let the opportunity pass.

Good luck.

I wouldn’t think it would be a problem. If it’s warranty work, any “authorized” Yamaha dealer will do the work. Unfortunately, these authorized dealers are far and few between. The Yamaha website I believe tells you who is an authorized dealer/service for your boat/jet ski.

That is not an issue at all, they want your business regardless of where you purchased it.

Local dealer will absolutely service your boat. Had you bought it there, you might get some prioritization during busy times, but even that's doubtful.

Hello, newbie here. I’m about ready to buy either a used boat from a private seller or a new boat from a dealer not in my area. I’ve had a boat on order from my local dealer since Sept 2021 and still no real visibility if I will ever get that boat and don’t want to miss another summer hoping and waiting.
My question for the group is do you think a local dealer will service a boat not purchased from them? Lord knows I tried going local but I just don’t want to risk it but not sure if the local dealer will see it that way. Nothing else around me unless 4 hour drive.
Thanks.

You can get service if you buy a boat from another dealer. I was in a similar situation so maybe this will help.......

First, Yamaha sent an email to all of their dealers back around August 4th telling them no more 2022's would be delivered. If a boat wasn't already on their lot, they weren't getting them. They were told all orders would be voided and customers could apply their deposit towards a 2023 but at the new '23 pricing.

Your dealer should have told you this months ago. If you ordered a '22 in September 2021, you aren't getting that boat. They should have told you and offered to refund your money or roll it over as a deposit on a '23 boat. I would be a little leery of this dealer if they did not disclose all this to you by now. There were a few guys on here who ordered August 2021 and their dealers called them back in August '22 and said their orders were cancelled after waiting 12 months.

I was looking for a boat late last July when a dock I was on the waitlist for came open. We wanted a 275SD and I'm down in southwest Florida. There wasn't a boat to be had in the southeast. The local dealer wouldn't even take my money for a deposit because deliver was a mess and pricing was going to be changing significantly.

I started looking around the country and found a 275SD in New York with a trailer that had just been delivered. Someone was going to buy it and backed out so I jumped on it. That is when the dealer told me about the email they got from Yamaha. My sales guy had to tear up $600K in '22 boat orders... some placed 10 - 12 months before.

The local dealer called me back after the dealer meeting in mid-August and told me he could order me '23 275SD and he would get it in a few months. I told him I had just bought a '22 from anothewr dealer but asked if they would do my service. They said they would but they would put on a lower priority than their direct customers. I told them I would buy the YES warranty from them so I would be a customer. They said that would be great and I bought the YES warranty from the local dealer in December before prices increased.

Then hurricane Ian hit and took out our marina. I have property back in PA and fortunately I had the boat stored there while I was out west on a motorhome trip. But here we are 5+ months later and I'm in Florida and the boat is in PA while I wait for a place to dock it.... the boat has 1/2 hour on it from the dealer shake down cruise.

In the end I might have been better off ordering the '23 but I would have paid $10K more. I still have to trailer it 1200 miles to get it down here so that is also a bummer. Who could have known a major hurricane would hit us straight on two months later?

I would call your local dealer and tell them you heard '22 production stopped last July and any open orders for '22 boats were cancelled. Tell him you want your deposit back but you want service from them if you buy a boat elsewhere. If you buy a new boat, buy the YES warranty from the dealer you intend to use for service so they know you are trying to do business with them so they give you good service when you need it.... if you still trust that dealer.

Last edited:
Where are you at? Inventory is piling up at my local dealers.

Where are you at? Inventory is piling up at my local dealers.

Same down here in Cape Coral. I passed my local dealer Friday and he had a '23 275SDX. If I ordered from them last August, I would probably have it now... and the newer DRIVE system..... but I still would have a place to dock it yet! ?

Thanks for all the help. I did get told in August I was not getting a 2022 and so I did move the deposit to a 2023. I’m getting real nervous that I won’t get one this spring. I’m trying to get a 22’ D version with the paddles. Dealer has absolutely no visibility on when he might get one in, hence finally looking elsewhere.

I was worried they wouldn’t do my 10 hour service but I think I’ve been patient enough with them. Good advice on the YES plan,I will try that.

Not sure where you live but I have seen '23's showing up in southwest Florida. There is also a dealer on here from Michigan and he has been posting new '23's as he has been getting them.

It seems to me at least that Yamaha stopped making any more '22's so they could get deal with supply chain issues and try to get ahead of the curve with the '23's.... but that remains to be seen.

Inventory is getting better, but it still isn’t back to a pre-covid level. Not to concerned about the warranty work, as I can find someone to do it. One of the reason to buy a jet boat is that you don’t have to take it to a dealer for most routine maintenance, as it is fairly easy to DYI. I have decided that I am willing to travel to find the right boat. Quite honestly, I wouldn’t mind traveling to FL for a new boat, as I would break it in at the lower Keys. :)

Jim

To the OP, you really should put in your location in your profile, as it helps other forum members sometimes give better answers to any questions you might ask. Could be town, state, or region - whatever info you feel comfortable sharing.

Jim

To the OP, you really should put in your location in your profile, as it helps other forum members sometimes give better answers to any questions you might ask. Could be town, state, or region - whatever info you feel comfortable sharing.

Jim
I agree with Jim. There is also a great members map feature that shows other members in your area. A great way to connect with others nearby to share/ trade local info.

Thanks for all the help. I did get told in August I was not getting a 2022 and so I did move the deposit to a 2023. I’m getting real nervous that I won’t get one this spring. I’m trying to get a 22’ D version with the paddles. Dealer has absolutely no visibility on when he might get one in, hence finally looking elsewhere.

I was worried they wouldn’t do my 10 hour service but I think I’ve been patient enough with them. Good advice on the YES plan,I will try that.

If you like your local dealer, I would try to let him get you the boat. If there are issues with it, he is more likely to bend over backwards to make you happy and get them resolved. If you decide you can't wait, explain it to them and tell them you will buy the YES warranty through them.

I really wanted to buy from my local dealer but at the time I was thinking I could end up paying for a dock space that sat empty for 6 - 12 months waiting for a new boat the way things were going with new boat deliveries last year. I didn't intend to buy a trailer because I could take the boat to them via the water.

I decided to buy the boat in NY even though it meant trailering it 1500 miles to Florida because I thought I would have the boat to use in October after my trip out west. In the end it all bit me in the a$$ with the hurricane. Not only do I need to trailer it down, I don't have a place down here to store the trailer so I will likely sell it because I don't want to pay to store it when I will hardly use it. I'm not going to be trailering it anywhere once I get her since it is a 9' beam.

Ultimately I would have preferred working with the local dealer.

Last edited:
I think most dealers will work on your boat even if you didnt purchase from them. There are exceptions. When I had my Four Winns 210 I used CH Marine in Livingston, TX for about 10 years. I spent plenty of money with them. Then one year I took it in for service and they said they would not work on my boat since I didnt buy it from them! They were actually somewhat rude about it too. Now, I wouldnt buy a boat from them no matter what the deal. I noticed that 4 the past couple of years they have no inventory. I wouldnt care if they went belly up :)

My salesperson told me when I bought the boat, we dont make a lot on yamaha boat, we get it back on services so we prefer local buyer. I don't think any dealer will deny services to you.

Back