• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Debris and Yamaha..

BRosen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Deposit on new AR210. Very excited about first jet boat, but several friends are all commenting about... Be careful, debris gets sucked up in there and you're done, happened to my friend... I'm in central KY

1. So how much of a problem is this really, and how often? Is it debilitating

2. Are the Yamaha clean out plugs effective? Do they get it "most of the time"?

3. What if they don't, and you can't clear it? Chances of happening to both engines? Just limp back on 1? And then tow it out. Can you fix it yourself.

Or is I/O better/easier, etc.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That would be the equivalent of me saying, “Don’t get and O/B or I/B! You hit a sandbar or log and your lower unit will be ripped off!”
Sigh
Yes if you suck up major debit it could cause an issue. Most of the time you pop the port open and clear it out. If not “limp” back on a single motor and clear it on the trailer or pull the pump. If you limp back on a single engine don’t go above no wake speed or just clamp off the line.
cheers

Last edited:

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I boat on the TN River, which has an unbelievable amount of debris for some reason. (I think that there must be a retired yamaha worker upriver somewhere who sits on the bank all day throwing tree limbs in a wood chipper and laughing his head off.)

That being said, I've only used my clean out ports a handful of times, maybe 5 or 6 in 3 years, and I've never had anything stuck that couldn't be dislodged through the ports.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BRosen It is a great boat and price is nice. I picked up ours this last May, 3 months. You will enjoy it a lot.

One of the factors, which you don't mention, is where you are at and what type of water you will be on. Different areas and different bodies and types of water make a difference and present different possible challenges.

I am at 80 hours now on the engines, and yes we go out every weekend on inland lakes, Lake St. Clair, St. Clair River, Detroit River, Lake Erie and have been on Lake Michigan. We do a tremendous amount of tubing..... Actually the kids and their friends do, I just drive the boat and get instructed on what I am doing wrong. :rolleyes: I have yet to use the clean out plugs or suck anything up. Last week on the water I actually pulled them out to check the impeller just to practice in a heavy chop, and I could get my hand easily on the shaft and the impellers.

There have been times when I can feel some weeds on them, but the reverse move clears the right up. Usually coming out of a launch in a bay that is a bit weedy. WE. and i really mean I, am very diligent about dock lines and tow ropes and where they are at all times. Also, around launches and docks its "All eyes on deck", looking for anything in the water or floating and weeds etc. I would rather be overly cautious than to have a day lost or more and have to pull the boat back out.

I carry a VHF radio, have my BoatUS unlimited towing membership, which I highly recommend for the price if available in your area, paid up. I carry a "go bag" - a backpack full of different lights, two pair of swim goggles, hose clamps, knives and cutting tools, all of which have been recommended here by other members. It is the first thing that goes in the boat and the last to come out. And I don't really sweat it. I am just careful.

You will be fine. Sooner or later I will suck something up, but I am confident after reading other posts here on members who have went through the ordeal and having a bag full of the proper tools and towing it will all work out.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nobody can tell you for sure. It depends on where you boat and the conditions. I probably average sucking something up less than 1 time/year and it usually manifest itself with an annoying vibration/hum at higher speed and not a total shutdown. That has happened maybe 1 time in 13 seasons.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I did see that you are in "Central Ky." I am also in Lexington and keep my Yamaha on Cumberland. It tends to be debris heavy in the early spring from winter wash off. I'm in my 6th season (second Yamaha) and have only had to pull a pump one time in the now almost six years. I am very careful , especially in the early season , to stand up while driving and avoid debris fields. The only other thing to get sucked in was a dock line ( my brain fart) which was easily removed via the clean out port without even taking out of the water. Good Luck . You are making the right decision. Are you dealing with Stokley's ?

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the jet and debris is way easier to deal with than smacking an outboard on a log. If I had to deal with lots of floating weeds then that’s a different story.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
105 hrs..river and coastal boating...never needed clean out ports or reverse move. One thing when at the ramp move boat to deepest available water at ramp b4 starting as a little extra precaution as at ramp tends to collect thrash and assorted debris. Just be attentive to your surroundings and dont listen to the experts that never owned a newer jet boat.

akozar

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Deposit on new AR210. Very excited about first jet boat, but several friends are all commenting about... Be careful, debris gets sucked up in there and you're done, happened to my friend... I'm in central KY

1. So how much of a problem is this really, and how often? Is it debilitating

2. Are the Yamaha clean out plugs effective? Do they get it "most of the time"?

3. What if they don't, and you can't clear it? Chances of happening to both engines? Just limp back on 1? And then tow it out. Can you fix it yourself.

Or is I/O better/easier, etc.
I have had a small stick get stuck on an impeller twice. It sucks because you have to take the boat out of the water to fix. That being said it is an easy fix. can be done in 15-20 minutes. I have found that not sitting and idling in neutral has stopped this from happening. Now I just kill the engines as soon as I come to a stop. Hasn't happened since I started doing this. Hope this helps.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m mostly on the Ohio river with debris. I agree with above regarding turning engines off when not needed. I’ve also learned the fine art of putting her in reverse and spitting the sticks out. That was a game changer.

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weeds suck, had lots of weeds around the lift/dock until we had them sprayed. I would go in/out on one engine (wake speed) stop and clean out that side, made me long for my inboard. Don't have too many issues now and forgot about my inboard :) Rivers are always fun, looking for submerged logs (deadheads) that love to take out lower units/props, but overall my jet experience is nice and would recommend them over I/O or Outboards

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have sucked up a few grocery bags, pop cap, and small pieces of wood. Twice I have had small piece of wood that was lodged between blade and pump. I used a small screw driver, held it tight (of course don't drop it) but used it like a thumb nail and chipped the wood away. Took 5 min and up and running. I do have a glove that I use to feel what the object is first, dont want to get cut on a fishing lure.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have sucked up a few grocery bags, pop cap, and small pieces of wood. Twice I have had small piece of wood that was lodged between blade and pump. I used a small screw driver, held it tight (of course don't drop it) but used it like a thumb nail and chipped the wood away. Took 5 min and up and running. I do have a glove that I use to feel what the object is first, dont want to get cut on a fishing lure.
Oh, the glove is a great idea!

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
First time I had to pull the clean out plug it was a Kroger bag. My wife was watching me and I said it feels like plastic or rubber. Then she said I hope its not a condom, I've been using a glove ever sense 😬

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Off to Amazon to buy gloves, at least they won't be "Boat" gloves, so won't have the automatic boat tax.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Few weeks ago in Florida I sucked up a white Nautica ball cap. So if you're missing one and you were in Destin 7/31 I know where it is...