• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Stuff Decal for 242S ( Side of the boat) - Need advice

Zulf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi,
I am looking to buy a 242s from someone I know. The color of the boat is very plain (White with stripe of blue) I want to make it look more sporty. Can I do anything about this buy buying large deals for both sides of the boat.

My question is
1) Has anyone does this and do they recommend it ? I don't want the decals to come off when the boat is washed

2) How much would it cost

3) Where can I purchase these decals.

Below is a pic of a similar boat to the one I am looking to buy.

I am really confused as I need to make my decision fast. Appreciate the help!

Attachments

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I feel the same about my 212S, I think its kind of plan. But my wife loves the clean simple look of our boat. Her argument was, when you see a boat with 2010 crazy graphics you know the boat is older. When you see a 10 year old boat with a simple design you can't tell if it's 2 years old or 20. So guess who won the argument 🙄

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought and installed some large custom cut decals for a prior boat of mine, “X - 23” about 3 feet high and 6 feet long. This was almost 10 years ago and cost around $400 total. @mitch seems to have a much better source with great prices. For comparison take a look at what the stock decals cost at Yamahasportsplaza.com .

I had to install my custom decals and thought it was a really pita Since I didn’t have an indoor location (so I had to wait for a day without wind or deal with it), and I didn’t have any help (the size of a decal can make it difficult to handle alone). My decals where cut In half left to right to account for the step in the side of the hull, so alignment was another thing to deal with.

Decals are subject to wear and tear especially those on the side where they may rub against the dock or fenders. From this perspective they also protect the boat somewhat. The stock decals on my current boat frayed enough after 10 years that I removed them during the last off season. I’m happy with the naked look but maybe because it’s different than what I’ve had for the last 10 years.

One possible alternative to smaller decals is to wrap the entire boat or very large parts of it. It should not be too difficult to find someone locally who wraps cars that may be willing to wrap your boat.

Good luck.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I prefer the clean and classy look as well. My boat has the one decal on each side, on the stern, close to the waterline and it looks just right to me.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Put me down for clean and classy as well! I bought the 195S for that very reason, no graphics to date it. Yours is essentially just like mine except blue instead of grey. What year is that?

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Keep it clean. Tint your windows instead of some cheesy stickers to throw on the side. The tint will definitely give the boat a new sporty appearance.

Zulf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I feel the same about my 212S, I think its kind of plan. But my wife loves the clean simple look of our boat. Her argument was, when you see a boat with 2010 crazy graphics you know the boat is older. When you see a 10 year old boat with a simple design you can't tell if it's 2 years old or 20. So guess who won the argument 🙄
Thats a great point about the boat looking new.

Zulf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Put me down for clean and classy as well! I bought the 195S for that very reason, no graphics to date it. Yours is essentially just like mine except blue instead of grey. What year is that?
Its a 2020 242 S

Zulf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Keep it clean. Tint your windows instead of some cheesy stickers to throw on the side. The tint will definitely give the boat a new sporty appearance.
Thats a great idea. I like the tint on your boat.
Quick question:
1) Did you just tint the side windows or all the windows including the ones in front of the captain and passanger ?
2) What was the tint #. I mean the darkness / shade of the tint?
3) Who did you use as I checked with the dealer and they said they don't do it.

Thanks!

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
1. All windows tinted.
2. It is the darkest "Limo."
3. Where do you live? It can be difficult finding a tinter to do the windows on a Yamaha due to the curve but it can be done. Run a search on the forum. I will tell you the cost will fluctuate greatly depending on where you live. On average I've seen 500 to 700 for the price. For me it was $700... but I live in Southern California where everything is more expensive. You will have to contact multiple shops for a quote due to the fact that all tinters are not created equal and a lot of them cannot tint that curve.

Last edited:

Zulf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
1. All windows tinted.
2. It is the darkest "Limo."
3. Where do you live? It can be difficult finding a tinter to do the windows on a Yamaha due to the curve but it can be done. Run a search on the forum. I will tell you the cost will fluctuate greatly depending on where you live. On average I've seen 500 to 700 for the price. For me it was $700... but I live in Southern California where everything is more expensive. You will have to contact multiple shops for a quote due to the fact that all tinters are not created equal and a lot of them cannot tint that curve.
Thanks or the feedback. The boat is at the dealer in NC and they said they don't do tinting. I think I will ask if a company can do it at their premises or take the boat to someone that does it.

Also if you had all the windows dark tinted - do you have any issues while you drive the boat ?? Or is your seat high enough that it doesn't bother you?

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks or the feedback. The boat is at the dealer in NC and they said they don't do tinting. I think I will ask if a company can do it at their premises or take the boat to someone that does it.

Also if you had all the windows dark tinted - do you have any issues while you drive the boat ?? Or is your seat high enough that it doesn't bother you?
No issues seeing through the tint.