• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Decisions, Decisions

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Hello all.
Brand new here after only a very short lurking period.

I'm currently not a jet boat owner but I sure could be very soon. I am currently running a Mako Skiff. It's been good to me and my family, I love it and drag it all over the place. My trailer hours and my boat hours are at a very, very sad ratio. All in all though, it's just a bit small for me. The FSH series has me intrigued. A little bigger, more power, and still easy for me to drag all over the country.

Like my little Mako, the FSH series isn't and probably will never be popular here in CO, therefore there is nothing close by to look at. I'm heading to Destin again next month and renting a house with dock on the bay. I've talked to the Fort Walton dealer and he currently has at least one in stock. If all the stars align, I could potentially be trailering a different boat home than the one we trailer down there.

So sitting here in my winter decision making phase of standard (add a fold t-top later), deluxe (live with the bimini), sport (hassle with t-top every time), I was wondering if anyone here might be willing to help out with a few other questions.

First, I can easily clear 92" on the garage door header. (Probably a little over 93" if I hand walk it in and brush the rubber weather stripping a little.)
  • Will this clear the leaning post back rest?
  • Maybe the windshield without removing it?
Second, a couple of other measurements.
  • Widest width point down at the wheel/fender area? (I've got a concrete footer that comes up about two feet and intrudes into my floor space, pushing the boat closer to the middle of the gargae than I'd like)
  • Length I need to close the garage door? (I've got one of those funky three car garages that are only two cars wide. One bay is double deep but I can't get the boat to the very back and I'll still need to walk past the back corner to get into that deep bay for lawn mower, snow blower, etc.
Third, trolling motor setup. I've seen photos online of the two batteries side by side. Looks like they were possibly under the deck, hopefully forward of the center console storage area. Can anyone confirm? I've got to keep my I-Pilot. It gets more use than than my outboard out here.

Thanks in advance for your help and any advice. I'm hoping to get on one of these things at some point while we're in Destin. The dealer was understandably cautious when I spoke to him about a test drive. He doesn't want to give joy rides but is very willing to drop one in the water for a serious buyer. From my point of view, how do I know if I'm a serious buyer until I take a ride and find "joy" with it. :winkingthumbsup"

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard and good luck on the search! I bet some 190/192 owners can offer more info on the single engine boats and hopefully there will be a new FSH owner out there that can chime in on some detail for you. @Julian , @Murf'n'surf , did either of you guys get on this boat and can help with the info here?

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks. That's a good point. The other 190's and similar boats are certainly more of what we see out here, usually going in counter clockwise circles in large bathtub size manmade lakes. Center consoles are very few and far between. Don't get me wrong, I love CO and have been here a very long time now but I grew up on the Great Lakes so I'm constantly in search of a bigger water fix.

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I dont own yet as im waiting on a test ride. Lucky for me a friend has one. I can only comment on the battery location. The two main batteries are mounted under deck in the back corner of the boat. But, for your application there is a place just ahead of the console for trolling motor batteries im told. Access is from inside the console. I've been digging for info on mounting a trolling motor myself. Good luck.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is an area under the bow that has a molded tray where 2 trolling motor batteries can be mounted. There is a clear path to run wires from the trolling motor to the battery area. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of that area.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@92 inches you may be close to clear the leaning post. My garage is rigth at 84 inches, and the only way I was able to clear the leaning post was by desinflating the tires to get me 3 inches to make it.
I finally ended up removing the leaning post as it was easier then desinflating and inflating the tires.
As for the windshield, it does stand higher, but it takes 30 seconds to remove.
Screenshot_2016-02-21-20-19-20.png

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I appreciate that...Thanks a bunch!

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Anybody able to help out with length on trailer with the tongue folded?
My apologies if someone already posted this info elsewhere but I'm not finding it on a search.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your headed in the right direction. The FSH seems like a good trade from a Mako in terms of similarity. Others will have to help you with the dimensions but I just wanted to say that the boat and this forum will make the FSH or another Yamaha a great option. Good luck

Will you continue to trailer and with what vehicle?
Do you have to store this in your garage/indoors?

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Will you continue to trailer and with what vehicle?
Do you have to store this in your garage/indoors?
Oh yes, here in Colorado I have to trailer everywhere to find water. Along with that, I head up to Lake Michigan every summer and usually down to Florida in spring or fall. I'd like to get to Lake Powell again someday. I'll change tires more than oil. ;) On a side note, I would venture a guess and maybe even bet my left testicle that there are more boats per boatable acre of water in this state than any other in the country. Lots of trailering is necessary to try to avoid the crowds.

Since I passed the old Dakota on to my daughter, I now tow with a little more comfort (and mileage) in my new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.

My intent is to keep it garaged like the Mako was, but I do rent a spot outdoors for my camper so if worse comes to worse, that camper may have to go. That's why I've been curious on dimensions. We're fortunate to have a garage door header slightly higher than most standard builds so it's looking like the deluxe will slide in with only a windshield removal. That's probably where I'll start and then eventually look into adding a folding T-top at some point down the road. My WI best bud put a "Fishmaster?" on his Whaler and he loves it.

The boat measures 19.3 long, with the folded tounge about 2-3 more inches.
Thanks for that measurement and the link. It'll definitely fit but my "walk around it to get to the back bay" space is going to be quite snug.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
OK, another silly prop guy question.
Are there any on-the-fly trim adjustments on a jet boat?
That's such a huge part of normal prop boating to adjust for different conditions whether it's waves or boat loading.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There are not any trim tabs. A few members have installed them. I have found that the jets kinda take care of that for you.

I had tabs on my last boat and used them constantly. I never thought to myself "I wish I had some trim tabs" on this boat.

Perhaps @Bruce can chime in as he has them.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK, another silly prop guy question.
Are there any on-the-fly trim adjustments on a jet boat?
That's such a huge part of normal prop boating to adjust for different conditions whether it's waves or boat loading.
We do not have trim adjustment for the motors. Some skis do so it would have been possible to add if Yamaha had wanted to. We have little bow rise compared to most boats and once that settles down the boats run flat and efficiently. So I sorta agree on the lack of need for trim adjustment on the jets and it is nice not to be fiddling with it all the time.

This thread discusses the trim tabs that I added to my boat https://jetboaters.net/threads/lectrotab-trim-tabs.71/ . They certainly improved rough water handling and in a way that I do not believe engine trim could have.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks.
That's good to hear they have bow down tendency. I hate porposing and getting beat up just because of a little chop. Rarely do I seem to find smooth water.
I'm getting a little excited about getting on one soon and giving it a try.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on your new boat! I'm sure you'll love it!

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Congrats on the new boat! Just looking at the picture you posted, did you get the galvanized I-beam trailer? I thought it was standard equipment on these, but I can't tell with the pic.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That was my one sacrifice, it's painted. Not that 700 miles is close by but nobody on this part of the country seems to go the aluminum route (or even galvanized if that's the new Yamaha norm)
I could have waited until I got down south in a few weeks but I wanted this boat home in my garage right now so I could do some accessorizing before the trip. This way, I got some good water time on the boat before I made the purchase.

I love my I-pilot and just couldn't imagine the time and money I spent on this vacation without having all my "stuff" with me, i.e a bare bones boat. Maybe some new electronics thrown in for good measure.

Oh and by the way Yamaha, a trailer with LED's everywhere except the taillights...come on man!