• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Depth finder transducer winterization

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Happened across the Owners Manual for the factory installed depth finder transducer (was stuck in bag with the boat Manual). There is a section in the manual for transducer called "Winterizing". This instructs you to remove the transducer to drain any water trapped between the through-hull-sleeve and the transducer itself to prevent possible breaking/cracking if the water were to freeze in there. It actually says remove "blanking plug" but that is because it earlier on says to remove the transducer and insert the blanking plug whenever you remove the boat from the water (so the blanking plug would in theory be installed at the time of winterization). Removing and installing blanking plug every time you pull it out of the water seems very excessive to me, but the fact that it says to remove it to drain water that may be in the sleeve concerns me. There isn't any difference in the sealing/o-ring configuration between the blanking plug and the actual transducer, so if water egress is possible with the plug, it is just as possible with the actual transducer. Anyone else see this manual? Anyone do this water draining procedure when winterizing? My concern about removing it would be to weaken the seal more than just leaving it alone. Plus I haven't looked to see how accessible this transducer is as far as doing this procedure. If I remember right I think it is in the bilge area which would require to unscrew and break the seal on the bilge cover to get at it. Who thinks this is worth doing? Or should it just be left it alone?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Here is a capture of the manual.

transducer.jpeg

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Very interesting. This is definitely news to me. I look forward to hearing other's opinions on this.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That transducer looks to be very similar in design to an ultrasonic tank level transducer we use in industrial applications. If the bottom o-ring stays intact, there should be no water intrusion. That being said, I have removed these in a pressurized application and found water in between. There is also potential for condensation to form in between. Not enough to fill the sleeve, but a few good tablespoons worth.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've not done this, and when speaking with the technician they haven't mentioned doing it either.

Big picture, I suspect it isn't a problem..... until it is... haha

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seems like if you needed to do this you would need to do the same thing for the speed sensor too.

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't have one of these, but if you were to do something like fill the cavity on purpose with RV antifreeze it would preclude water entry and not freeze either.
Since the o'ring is at the bottom and top put the transducer almost all the way in, leaving room for addition of RV antifreeze, pour the cavity full and keep a little going while you put the transducer all the way in.
Use new O'rings and grease them with a little silicone grease.
For that matter fill the cavity with silicone grease if that sounds better.
I agree that it looks a lot like there is tittle difference in the form of the transducer and the blanking plug so I see little reason to not leave the transducer in place, taking some precautions

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I it was easier to get to I'd just pull them put some pool o-ring lube on them and put them back in. Just hate removing that bilge cover and all those screws that strip so easy and then having to reseal it all. I'm going to look and see if I can possibly reach it through the bilge access panel.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I never use mine but I’m also not in a climate with extreme cold temps. You should be able to access the transducer if you remove the bilge access cover. On mine I have two access ports on each side of my clean out plug tube that I twist off. Not sure how the large boats are. Obviously unscrewing the entire tray would give you the most access. My arm barely fits in the access port and freaks me out lol.

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Never done it on hundreds of boats and never had a problem...

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Left mine in last year, no problem. I have that plug around here somewhere, but I don't think I'm going to use it. Plan to touch that big possible hole as little as possible. You should be able to reach it through the bilge access cover if you're so inclined.

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If worried about the trapped water freezing fill the void with some silicone grease or oil.
Pull the transducer every ten years to check