• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Depth Gauge SX190

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking at installing a depth gauge on my 2012 SX190. What do you guys recommend? Not looking for anything too fancy, just need depth. Don’t need fishing or plotter functions. Thanks!

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The pain is mounting the transducer in a location with minimal turbulance. With a jet boat thats not easy. I am looking at a lowrance hook5. But still on the fence on drilling holes into my boat.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do some research on epoxying the transducer inside to shoot through hull. It will keep you from having to drill through the hull.

For the cost of a simple round depth gauge, you can get a nice Lowrance or hummingbird which would give you more bottom info than just a digit for depth. If you do get the transducer mounted outside of the hull, then you could also benefit from water surface temp.

Money better spent would be in inexpensive unit with depth and GPS that you can load lake maps on. Lake maps can keep you out of harms way almost as much as depth alone. Of course this may only apply if you are boating on lakes that are new to you.

Good luck!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's not really a feature that you will see listed, but a capability based on the specifications in the install instructions.

For example, if you looked at a sonar only unit from Hummingbird or Lowrance, the instructions would tell you where the transducer should be mounted outside the hull away from cavitation or interference from props etc. They would give alternate locations for mounting inside the hull with Marine Epoxy for shoot through hull reception. An alternate method would be using a true thru-hull mount which requires you to drill through the hull and mount on the bottom of the boat. (not recommended)

The new Side scanners, Downward Scanners etc may only have a stern mount option as the transducer cannot shoot through hull. The instructions should be very clear that nothing can come between the transducer and water. Or it will say reception may be poorly limited if shot through hull.

If you go to the Lowrance site, and check out the most basic fishfinders like the Hook 4x etc, they come with a skimmer transducer. The installation guide will only talk about stern mounting. These units start at around $99-$199. If you want to get maps, check out a unit that has sonar and maps, with no downscanning. It should still use the basic skimmer transducer.

Otherwise, learn the use of marine epoxy. Drilling through the hull is nerve racking, but with Youtube as your friend, you can make a nice clean install and be able to claim you drilled a hole in your boat on purpose!

PS: the Lowrance X4 Pro I use, was one of those $119 finders and it works great up to around 45mph through the hull.

Good luck!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One of the most common round gauge style depth finders was the Hawkeye at around $99. It drops into the dash of most boats with an industry standard round chrome trimmed gauge. It works fine and uses the standard transducer that can be mounted outside or inside the hull.

Back 2011, the basic Lowarance was the X4 and the X4 Pro was a multi range sonar. I bought mine for $85 on sale at Fleet Farm at the time. We tested the transducer on a ziplock bag of water in the ski locker inside the hull. A buddy held it while I drove and tested. We then put weight on top of it and ran the lake. The bag of water acted like the pool of epoxy we would fix the transducer with when we found the permanent location.

We knew we didn't have turbulence from the jet or cavitation throwing off the sonar. Then I did the install in a good place on the helm. We had access to the fuse block, and drilled away. This was in 2011, and it has worked flawlessly since.

Attachments

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Last edited:

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally got around to installing my depth gauge on my SX190. I went with a through hull transducer.
D0AB5EB0-FADB-48AF-8D00-86A42B7BA40F.jpeg
9CC02978-5560-44E4-8BF7-C514D7D234E0.jpeg

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got this Faria in brushed stainless steel. Matches my other gauges perfectly. In-hull transducer setup was realtively easy. I mounted it just to the left of my tach. Thought about putting between the tach and speedo but looked too crowded.

Attachments