• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Desperately need you advice

Mohammed

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hi all,
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to seek guidenes from such big network of experienced people.
Am a fishing lover and and I have absolutely no experience in boats,,,I found a clean Yamaha sr230 and I have some questions before I proceed with my first boat:
1- I noticed that all the comments talks about water sports while this is fun but my main aim of buying the boat is fishing my question is how good is this boat for fishing is sea water:
2- what should I consider when am buying a used sr230?
3- is this a steady/stable boat when it's parked while fishing?
4-what are the main required maintenances and how often I need to do it?
3- out of 10 what is the level of gas consumption?!

I seek as many advices as I can get , any advice is useful for me and will surely be considered

Yours,
Mohammed alshaer

What kind of fishing? Fresh water? Ocean? Where are you located?

The boat is designed for family fun cruising but you can fish from it fairly easily. Some of our members fish heavily from their yamaha jet boat and have even added a flat deck in the bow to make it easier.

As long as the sea condition is flat to 3' waves you will be ok. The ride starts getting dangerous at 3' waves.

And.....welcome aboard!!

The boat is designed for family fun cruising but you can fish from it fairly easily. Some of our members fish heavily from their yamaha jet boat and have even added a flat deck in the bow to make it easier.

As long as the sea condition is flat to 3' waves you will be ok. The ride starts getting dangerous at 3' waves.

And.....welcome aboard!!
Appreciate you taking time to answer my query ...it gave me more comfort coz I really liked the boat...but I'll be more greedy and request u to kindly take a look at the rest of my quireis ...I have a short time to make the payment and I need to be sure that am ready for this boat

Also, what do u mean by 3' waves?! Meters?!

3' = 3 feet = 1 yard = slightly less than 1 meter.

When the boat in front of you starts to disappear up to the deck cap it's time to head for home.

I love my boat, and I use it for fishing, crabbing, shrimping etc. But my primary use is watersports. If my primary use was fishing, I would look a different direction. These boats are great all around boats, but if you have spent any time in a "fishing" boat, the Yamaha leaves much to be desired. If you were looking for an all around family boat that you can comfortably fish from, then I would say you found it!

I agree with @Addicted and would add that if you are set for a fishing platform, I am certain Yamaha will be bringing more fish models out next year which may be exactly what you are looking for.

Welcome aboard!

Hi Mohammed,
I love my Yamaha and I would recommend it for many water activities but I'm not sure you should buy one to fish in the ocean.
If that is your main purpose, you may become disappointed after the excitement of your new boat wears off.
You would probably happier in the long run with a boat that is made for ocean conditions. Something with a bow that doesn't dip down close to the water like the Yamaha and has a large bow flare to keep the spray out of your face (and out of the boat) would be safer in an ocean environment and would be less likely to get swamped. You can get in trouble real fast with these boats in wavy conditions, especially if your jets ingest something that requires cutting the power. Rod storage, live wells, and an easy-to-clean interior are other things you should probably be looking for.

I love my boat, and I use it for fishing, crabbing, shrimping etc. But my primary use is watersports. If my primary use was fishing, I would look a different direction. These boats are great all around boats, but if you have spent any time in a "fishing" boat, the Yamaha leaves much to be desired. If you were looking for an all around family boat that you can comfortably fish from, then I would say you found it!
That's actually is what I exactly looking for and that's why I prefered the Yamaha more than the basic fishing boat...is it ok for ocean water?!

Hi Mohammed,
I love my Yamaha and I would recommend it for many water activities but I'm not sure you should buy one to fish in the ocean.
If that is your main purpose, you may become disappointed after the excitement of your new boat wears off.
You would probably happier in the long run with a boat that is made for ocean conditions. Something with a bow that doesn't dip down close to the water like the Yamaha and has a large bow flare to keep the spray out of your face (and out of the boat) would be safer in an ocean environment and would be less likely to get swamped. You can get in trouble real fast with these boats in wavy conditions, especially if your jets ingest something that requires cutting the power. Rod storage, live wells, and an easy-to-clean interior are other things you should probably be looking for.
Thanks for ur precious advice, u have raised an important points:
1- spraying the water inside the boat (is that there in this kind of boats)
2- do u mean that ocean is not the perfect environment for Yamaha?!

Hi @Mohammed !!! Welcome to the board! I wouldn't suggest a Yamaha for what you are trying to do with it. These boats are great and can do everything but what you are wanting is VERY specific and you would be better suited, like others have said, with a boat the is more to off shore fishing. The salt water can be very harmful to our boats if left in the water all the time and corrode away at metal parts if not properly maintained. I do not boat in salt water so I will leave that to some of my salt water jet boat brethren, I am sure they can give you specifics as to what harm it can do if you are interested.

I would tell you to go buy a Boat that is designed for fishing. This boat will not serve your needs as well. That being said....can you arrange a group outting for us in your beautiful country? Just kidding. Good luck in your boat search!

If my primary use was fishing, personally I would look at other options especially if you will be in the ocean. There may be newer fish options from Yamaha given their recent 19' FSH release but only time will tell.

I would tell you to go buy a Boat that is designed for fishing. This boat will not serve your needs as well. That being said....can you arrange a group outting for us in your beautiful country? Just kidding. Good luck in your boat search!
Thanks a lot and ur always welcome to contact me if ur coming to this side shaer411@yahoo.com

Personally, I think for that application you would want a displacement hull, not the planing hull Yamaha offers. Those should handle the waves better at sea and provide a more stable platform for fishing, I would think.

Small displacement hulls are not typically a very stable hull for a fishing platform. Walk to a side and the boat rolls due to the lack of a hard chine and the fact they are light weight. Most of your fishing platforms for recreational fishing etc are planing hulls for speed and stability. Now a displacement hull will take a harsh sea much more comfortable than a planing hull will but they are not very expedient... Displacement hulls can do speed but it takes length to achieve it which will quickly take it from a small trailerable boat to a much larger one.

Back