• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bizzarre starting issue - need some advise

Plug hatch safety switches prevent the engine from turning over so they're ruled out.

Like @TimW451 says...It does not work like you think... It has 2 circuits in there, one that fakes the boat is NOT in neutral - so it won't crank, and the other that fakes the key is in OFF position, so it will shut off if running.

Since it never shuts off on its own I suspect it's not the switch, but this info is important to know when troubleshooting, so I'm taking license to state it again. If I was you, I would bypass them to confirm it's not the switch, just in case.

Best of Luck!

I had this issue with the starboard engine from the first day I brought her home, and the fix was simple - adjust the kill switch under the cleanout tray hatch.

@Bluejuice I tested it first by using some masking tape on the underside of the hatch to hold a dime above the switch so it would contact sooner - it fired up 100% of the time, so I used a wrench and raised the switch a couple turns. Never had a problem since.

I have this issue on my 212 after a hard run - I always thought it was heat soak on the stbd engine because, if I let it run and cool itself for a minute, there's no issue.

last year I had an intermittent no crank or crank/no start issue,
old battery, new battery, two batteries, no rhyme or reason, for sure it was a safety switch

turns out my battery cable terminal had a small film of corrosion on it, barely visible, I put a new terminal on it and haven't had a problem since,

check everything involved,

Plug hatch safety switches prevent the engine from turning over so they're ruled out.
I wouldn't rule them out. That's not how mine was malfunctioning. I could crank the engine, but it would not start, and it was intermittent likely from walking on the hatch while floating. I caught a whiff of gas from the exhaust when cranking which indicated no combustion yet it cranked over, so I figured it was electrical. I read about the safety switches and once I taped a dime under the hatch to push the switch down further, my engines fired up 100% of the time. I believe the switches are wired for two safety features, no crank, and no spark. If not fully depressed, the switch cuts the spark. I adjusted the height of the switch which cured the problem. That was 3 seasons ago and no issues since.

Sorry for the massive delay. I was able to resolve the issue. It was the safety lanyard switch. It tested good on the bench with a meter. It actually turned out that over the years i collected half a dozen or so safety lanyards. Turns out the random lanyard i was using had a clip thats was ever so slimmer than others, causing a week connection. I did find a small crack in the plastic of the switch so i replaced the whole thing, but simply using a thicker clip resoved the issue. Go figure.

Sorry for the massive delay. I was able to resolve the issue. It was the safety lanyard switch. It tested good on the bench with a meter. It actually turned out that over the years i collected half a dozen or so safety lanyards. Turns out the random lanyard i was using had a clip thats was ever so slimmer than others, causing a week connection. I did find a small crack in the plastic of the switch so i replaced the whole thing, but simply using a thicker clip resoved the issue. Go figure.

Thanks for closing the loop! Glad you finally got it sorted out!

Back