• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bizzarre starting issue - need some advise

One other thing that helps is to
Thanks, I'll check this!
If the engines turn over it's not the safety switches.... The whole point of the safety switches is to keep the engines from turning over if the hatch is open.

@Bluejuice Does the hard starting occur whether or not you try to start it at home first? If it varies it may be a clue as to the issue. I would concur that I'd check all the safety devices as the bumpy trip to the ramp may loosen something.

Do you put the cleanup plugs in at home or at the ramp?

Also, if I read correctly, it cranks, but does not catch. Note that the cleanup tray safety switches have two circuits per engine, one for start and one for run, so don't discount them as the source of a crank but no run problem.

I put the plugs in at home. I'm going to check all the switches during the week and report back. Thanks.

But at home, they both start without a problem...?
If the engines crank over then it's not your rear hatch safety switch..... If they crank and one engine will start it's not your safety lanyard switch. Sounds like you can rule out those. Doesn't sound like your fuel is contaminated.... does one engine start easier than the other?

If the engines crank over then it's not your rear hatch safety switch..... If they crank and one engine will start it's not your safety lanyard switch. Sounds like you can rule out those. Doesn't sound like your fuel is contaminated.... does one engine start easier than the other?

The problem is random with both engines unfortunately.

When the engines are running at home....what RPM do they idle at?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will start by checking all safety switches, even though i think that it's ruled out. (The lanyard switch was a little loose). I'll add some fuel injector cleaner. And l think maybe hook up to the YDS and make sure the throttle body position sensor is set correctly.

When the engines are running at home....what RPM do they idle at?

I'll have to get back to you on that. I can't today but will have a chance to mess with it tomorrow.

The problem is random with both engines unfortunately.
So randomly one engine will start and the other won't? And the one engine that starts will stay running while the other will not start....?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will start by checking all safety switches, even though i think that it's ruled out. (The lanyard switch was a little loose). I'll add some fuel injector cleaner. And l think maybe hook up to the YDS and make sure the throttle body position sensor is set correctly.
I was going to mention that you probably need to get the YDS software and see what's going on. I don't know if it was mentioned earlier but you may want to change the spark plugs on both engines. Possibly you have some old plugs that are common to both engines. Still doesn't make sense why they start at home and not at the ramp. Something is off there....

I was going to mention that you probably need to get the YDS software and see what's going on. I don't know if it was mentioned earlier but you may want to change the spark plugs on both engines. Possibly you have some old plugs that are common to both engines. Still doesn't make sense why they start at home and not at the ramp. Something is off there....

I'll run the YDS during the week. All plugs are brand new every season. Thanks.

So randomly one engine will start and the other won't? And the one engine that starts will stay running while the other will not start....?

Sort of. Either both of them take forever to start, or one will fire right up and the other one struggles. And it alternates randomly. I am always able to get them both started, but but it takes forever. Then they run perfect and start perfect all day on the water.....and even when I tow it home, they'll start perfect. Something is happening from the house to the ramp.

Sort of. Either both of them take forever to start, or one will fire right up and the other one struggles. And it alternates randomly. I am always able to get them both started, but but it takes forever. Then they run perfect and start perfect all day on the water.....and even when I tow it home, they'll start perfect. Something is happening from the house to the ramp.

So @TimW451 asked / suggested that you try starting the boat at home first and see if the engines start well once you get to the ramp, before yiu put the boat in the water, that is definitely worth trying.

So @TimW451 asked / suggested that you try starting the boat at home first and see if the engines start well once you get to the ramp, before yiu put the boat in the water, that is definitely worth trying.

I have done this and it doesn't make a difference. They'll turn right over at home, but both, or one, will be slow to start either on the trailer before the launch or after the launch.

Just an update, went out Friday and port engine fired right up, starboard struggled but not as bad as normal. I was rushing so this time i didnt warm it up at home or before launching. Just threw it in and tried.

I didnt get to run YDS yet...

I did find the the lanyard switch to be damaged. The threaded end that the bolt threads onto sheared, probably overnighted at some point. Dispite this it works fine, i'll
replace off-season.

Neutral safety switch works fine

Plug hatch safety switches prevent the engine from turning over so they're ruled out.

I'm chasing an oil leak so that slowed my progress, but i figured that out.

I'm curious if the fuel vent could be involved. Unlikely but i'll check.

Thanks everyone, i appreciate the insight and ideas.

I did, but I dont know where to start. I fugured the fuel sloshing around could be the culprit.....but why? it sloshes around all day on the water and it starts fine. Maybe a priming issue?

Good point, but being on the trailer running down the road is a lot different than being on the water. If you have sediment in the fuel tank, it can cause problems on the fuel screens after the tank is stirred up. Since it is both engines, I always start with the safety switches and then go to the fuel. My lake is notorious for having poor quality fuel and with a boat as old as yours, fresh fuel can cause issues like breaking down of junk stuck to the walls of the fuel tanks.

Sounds like you have water in your fuel. When the boat sits perfectly still, the water separates and the motors start. When you travel, it sloshes around and remixes, causing starting issues in both motors.

Drain your fuel, add new fuel, and add a bottle of Seafoam.

@Bluejuice Sounds like you always start/warm up at home. This last time you didn't, and did 50% better. :) I think something moves/vibrates out of place. You may want to try installing the plugs in at the ramp, or check them before launch. Need to consider @anmut 's suggestion too.

Hmm, anyone reading this recall the issue about trying to start the motor "too soon" after previously running at high speed? Not sure if that learning applies here.

Folks, the safety switches on the clean out tray hatch do not ONLY stop the engine from cranking, they ALSO stop the engine from running. If the hatch opens while the engine is running they kill the motor(s). If the switch is not setting correctly or is malfunctioning it can result in unanticipated behavior like crank but no run. Ask me how I know. It doesn't mean this is the cause, in general, or for @Bluejuice , but if it is isn't diagnosed correctly a failure can be easily overlooked.

Hmm, anyone reading this recall the issue about trying to start the motor "too soon" after previously running at high speed? Not sure if that learning applies here.
I had this issue with the starboard engine from the first day I brought her home, and the fix was simple - adjust the kill switch under the cleanout tray hatch.

@Bluejuice I tested it first by using some masking tape on the underside of the hatch to hold a dime above the switch so it would contact sooner - it fired up 100% of the time, so I used a wrench and raised the switch a couple turns. Never had a problem since.

Back