• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Destin Boat Sinking and Rescue Overloaded Boat

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I admit having grown with great access to the coast and weekly trips to the beach, I may have a different perception of what it means to be able to swim.

If you cannot swim underwater to overcome a 6 feet floating obstacle, or remain for several minutes above choppy surf when it's deeper than you can reach, in my book, you don't "swim" for purposes of passing on a PFD.

This all goes out the window if you are hit or become unconscious, but to me, with my risk/reward as an adult, I don't wear a PDF when boating. I do wear one when engaged in watersports, (In Texas is legally required, and an very good idea. I won't tow anyone without a vest on.)

This made me curious on how many here actually wear a PFD while boating. In the area I boat, as far as adults, it's 5% or less that wear one.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Beachbummer
I wear my mustang survival auto inflatable Always and require passengers to put on a vest, if I am in any decent chop, in low visibility, and at night or in a rain/storm or unpredictable conditions. If you can't swim and want to be on my boat you are wearing a one of the PFD's. I carry 5 Mustang Survival Auto inflatables so it is comfortable for passengers to wear. Also I wear it when I am fishing and casting off the back swim platform by myself or with other in the boat. One wave I don't see and I fall and hit my head and go in it could be Game Over. No reason not to be prudent and safe.

Also, I am a very strong swimmer. I was a competition swimmer and diver, so no issues of swimming in a lot of water conditions.

EDIT: I do a lot of boating in Lake St. Clair where the chop is 1-3' a lot of the time and some of the big yachts easily kick up 3-4'+ waves rolling by not to mention tankers. Back in the coves where it is calm I am a bit less stringent especially in shallow water.

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You don’t see many people in PFDs on boats out here but it’s all calm lakes and we don’t get much weather.
The people I hang out with are all strong swimmers as most ride stand up jet skis too. I’ve never even thought about having someone on the boat that couldn’t swim - that would definitely make me a little nervous.

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You don’t see many people in PFDs on boats out here but it’s all calm lakes and we don’t get much weather.
The people I hang out with are all strong swimmers as most ride stand up jet skis too. I’ve never even thought about having someone on the boat that couldn’t swim - that would definitely make me a little nervous.
You NEVER see anyone besides children in the Chesapeake Bay wearing PFDs and that is because its the law. I was a beach lifeguard and still think I am a pretty strong swimmer, but I have heard a lot of drownings from "strong" swimmers" are because the person hits their head or is stunned in a collision. I was thinking about that when I was driving last Saturday night at 11:30pm going 30mph... got out the PFDs to be safe. It was just me and the wife in the boat, i wouldn't go that fast if it was a boat full of people, I hadn't gone the route a hundred times and it wasn't dead calm.