• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Destin, FL Summer Family Boating Trip

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen a lot of good pictures of Destin, FL here. It looks interesting.

Family wants to do a week vacation this summer, either June 27th for a week or Aug 8th for a week. I mentioned Destin, FL and we could tow the boat down. There would be 8 of us, 3 adults 5 kids. They wanted to be on the ocean. We want to get the brother in law and his kids out and on the ocean, the winter is rough since losing his wife this past fall.

Are there any suggestions of Lodging on the ocean and/or additional info of things to do and see?

Also, are there any marina's where I can just drop in the boat at a slip for a week and leave the trailer somewhere so I don't have to keep towing it around.

Any suggestions or info would greatly be appreciated.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You’re SOL. No ocean near Destin :D

All kidding aside you’ll love Destin. It’s a nice community and beaches. Depending on how long you plan on staying you can also explore further east and west along the Gulf or ICW to PCB, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Pensacola, Perdido Key etc. All of those areas are nice for boating and sealife sight seeing.

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Family wants to do a week vacation this summer, either June 27th for a week or Aug 8th for a week. I mentioned Destin, FL and we could tow the boat down. There would be 8 of us, 3 adults 5 kids. They wanted to be on the ocean. We want to get the brother in law and his kids out and on the ocean, the winter is rough since losing his wife this past fall.

Are there any suggestions of Lodging on the ocean and/or additional info of things to do and see?

Also, are there any marina's where I can just drop in the boat at a slip for a week and leave the trailer somewhere so I don't have to keep towing it around.

I had booked a stay at a VRBO in Orange Beach / Destin area that had a dock. Then, as a the lyrics say... "a hurricane came, devastation reigned" and I had to cancel the trip. But that is what I would look into if I try and go again.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finding that anyplace for 8 people is pricey right in Destin. Would love to find a place close with a dock though. Will look around Orange Beach

Tough part is I don't know really what areas to look at since I have never been there and outside of this forum don't have much first hand info.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tim h That would be awesome, but it is Too far. It is going to be 14 hrs, from Detroit to Destin. From Detroit to the Keys is 20 - 22 hrs. The family won't do it. We don't want to spend airfare for 7 people and I drive down with alone either. Just not in the budget this year for this trip.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Checking around Navarre as well

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is the place we had booked. Yes it was pricey but it was two families so we were gonna split it. I'm still bitter that we didn't make that trip

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Checking around Navarre as well
We went to Navarre in June of '21. It was great.

The launch at Navarre was easy to use, and rarely had more than 10-15 trailers in it. Juan's Pagoda is a neat place for night life, and the pier is neat to walk out on. The beaches are crystal clear water, and white sand.

We did Crab Island one day with the boat. Launched out of a public ramp near Ft Walton for free, and motored down to Crab Island. Spent the afternoon there, then went over to the boardwalk. Docked, walked around and had dinner, then walked back to the boat and motored away. Super easy.
1642188410715.png

We also took a day and went down to Pensacola bay and watched the Blue Angels practice. We climbed right up on the sand dunes, and at one point they came overhead so close I could read the pilots name on the side of the jet. Super cool experience. They publish the practice schedule online, and you just have to get there in time. Anchor right off the end of the runway and enjoy the show:
1642188543428.png

Uncle took this shot of me resetting the anchor because I'm dumb.
1642188716728.png

On the way back from Pensacola we stopped at Pensacola beach and pulled up in the sand in front of a restaurant, had lunch, rode go carts, etc. Was nice to be able to just boat up and hop out and do that. Going by boat beats the pants off fighting the traffic around there. Pensacola bay was "fairly wavy" and was about as large of chop as I've been in. It wasn't terrible, but my little 19ft'er didn't want much more. I'm guessing 3-4ft waves, but a decent long period. It was enough that my uncle and his passengers wanted to turn back. He was in a 21ft bass tracker "walleye" style aluminum boat. I think they were a little more sensitive and had a shade less freeboard than we did. I had 4 adults and 3 kids aboard and it's a SOLID hour boat drive from Navarre at 30+mph. We were fine, but be aware that the bay got rough. Probably less of an issue for your 21ft than our boats though.

This is the only picture I have of his boat to get a size reference from.
1642189038853.png

If you look on AirBnB there are quite a few places to rent that will handle all your people in Navarre AND have a driveway to park the truck/boat. It's not right on the beach, but rather on the ICW side of the island. The beach is short walk away though, so if we go back that's what we'll do. We stayed at the red circle and they didn't like us having the boat there. hence why the boat is behind my uncles truck in the above pic. He stayed in the Springhill Suites next door to us. The black line below is a really nice beach access for the public. If you want to keep the boat with you, look for the streets that are in the blue squares. There are many vacation rentals in there and they have generously sized driveways.
1642189292660.png

If you can swing the cash, the Springhill Suites was brand new and actually really amazing. Had a great outdoor pool with a lazy river for the kids. The ice machines worked well, and there was a nice outdoor bar. It's pricey at around $500/night/room, but it's really nice. I think we got our condo for closer to $200/night.

I didn't slip the boat, I took it in/out each day. Drug is back to the condo and used a hose and sprayer I brought to wash it and the trailer down, then flush the engines. Once I had it "desalted" I had to run it next door to the hotel to park it. Condo owner said it was "navarre HOA policy" to not have boats on premises, but the hotel didn't give a crap when my uncle and I talked to the manager on duty. probably because he was staying there, I doubt they do it out of the blue. There is enough space at the launch that you could probably park there if you really wanted to, but I would lock it up. Juana's Pagoda gets busy on weekend nights.

Hope some of that helps. We're considering going back down in March this year, and we won't go without the boat. The boat tows easy enough, and the water is so clear it's seriously like boating in a whole other world. Condo prices are reasonable in Navarre, and it's far less "touristy" than Destin, Ft Walton or Pensacola. Good Luck!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u Wow, thanks for the detailed information and taking the time to post it. It helps us a great deal in understanding the area. The Admiral was looking for a place that would offer cancellations due to hurricanes as well, if they even exist. All I am thinking about is switching my tires over to radials and updating my Garmin Maps and if I need to get a couple extra fishing poles, and anything else I need before prices tick up in the season.......

Scanning airbnb and vrbo in and around Navarre now.

jdbakerucf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
we just did a trip to Destin this past summer and I kept my boat at Adventure Marina on Okalossa Island (just over the bridge from Destin). With traffic it was alike a 15 minute drive to get to the boat, but they have a fenced in area to keep the boat on the trailer and they have a private ramp that you are allowed to use to launch the boat (boat doesn't stay in the water over night, it stays on the trailer in the lot). and it was relatively cheap to keep it there. was easy enough and would do it again. we stayed at sandpiper cove which is at the very end of Destin Harbor, and they did have slips you could rent, and the condos have a private beach access.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jdbakerucf Thanks. I just sent them a message, since they are closed checking availablity

FYI their response for others if interested.

Hello Charles,

We offer Yard and Wet Slip Storage, you can request a reservation online (link below). Give me a call if you have any questions at 850-581-2628 ext:4

. Daily Transient Rates

Wet Slip (under 50') - $100

RESERVE BELOW. NO CODE NEEDED

Yard Storage (under 30') - $25/day

RESERVE BELOW &

USE THIS CODE - 25YARD

. Weekly Transient Rates

Wet Slip (under 50') - $400

RESERVE BELOW. NO CODE NEEDED

Yard Storage (under 30') - $175

RESERVE BELOW &

USE THIS CODE - WEEKYARD

Please use the link below to request a reservation;

Storage | Adventure Marina | Fort Walton Beach Florida

MORE INFO

Wet Slips are in the water slips, if you need trailer parking while your boat is in a slip at Adventure Marina it is a one-time

$50 fee for up to 7 nights.

Yard Storage you would have 24-hour access to your boat and FREE access to the on-site boat ramp.

We also have a boat wash area for our customers to use.

Thanks,

www.adventuremarina.com

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

Just posted in an old thread on the forum regarding Desting. Looking to go in April, looking for hotel and marina suggestions. Hotel and marina combo would be ideal.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
This is the place we had booked. Yes it was pricey but it was two families so we were gonna split it. I'm still bitter that we didn't make that trip

Nice place, a lot of house for 2 but we would make it work. Will definitely research it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
www.adventuremarina.com

After reviewing all the options and discussing it with them, this place looks like a winner, and just keep it on the trailer there. Could slip it for $400 for 7 days I guess as well. Also can flush out there as well.

Lodging is more difficult :(

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
www.adventuremarina.com

After reviewing all the options and discussing it with them, this place looks like a winner, and just keep it on the trailer there. Could slip it for $400 for 7 days I guess as well. Also can flush out there as well.

Lodging is more difficult :(
We stayed at Home2suites in Destin. Was super affordable and the beach is in very short walking distance. Also very close to Crystal Beach and Fort Henderson state park. Also Noreaga Point Beach is incredible and most tourists don't know about it, right by Crab Island and the boardwalk. Definitely taking my boat with me this year. Dewey Destin's is a must to eat at and has a dock

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in Navarre. Adventure is a good option to be centrally located. Destin gets fairly busy, but it has the most to do. Lots of restaurants, mini golf, all the standard tourist stuff. Navarre has a little more of of low key vibe, although it gets busier every year. Still has plenty of great local places to eat and get drinks. If your looking to just hang out at the beach and enjoy the water Navarre might be a better option. If you want to be closer to shopping and activities Destin is probably better. Ft Walton is in between the two, but if you aren’t right on 98/the sound I would rather stay in Destin or Navarre. Speaking of 98, traffic can be a hassle. The bridge into Destin over crab island can get backed up, as well as Brooks Bridge, which is where 98 crosses the sound in Ft Walton out to the Island. Depending on time of year, traffic, accidents etc Navarre to Destin by car can be 30 minutes or 2 hours.

The boat trip from Navare to Crab island takes about a hour ish depending on speed. The sound has some real shallow spots, I recommend staying in the channel (it’s very well marked) unless you slow down to no wake speeds and keep a eye on the depth. Ft Walton to crab island by boat takes 15-20 minutes depending on speed. The bay can get a little rough in the day, lots of overloaded rental pontoons, quad motor center consuls, large off shore charter boats and your occasional go fast boat. It’s nothing a smaller boat can’t handle but you ain’t going to be running 40+mph on the bay, at least on the weekend days.

There are a bunch of islands in the sound just south east Of Hurlburt Field. They are open to anyone. If you want a low key seen to hang out on the boat and have some beach these are a great spot that usually aren’t very busy. You won’t get that beautiful blue water though. Again, very shallow so just be careful.

Crab Island. I love it, but you have to watch out for all the idiots. I anchor on the south east side by the Coast Guard station, it’s usually a little more quite there. Look at the tide charts, a couple hours before high tide is the best time for that beautiful water color. AJs on the Bayou is cool spot on the north side of the bay you can dock up and grab some dinner and drinks.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Inthrustwetrust Great Info.

We booked a place right on the Beach, ocean side in Navarre for 8 days. They host indicated that there is parking for 6 and that I can put the boat there no problem and park it. So I have the Marina or on Premise choices. Also walkway right to beach. We will be down there the second week of August.

3-Level Gulf Front Townhome w/ Breathtaking Views - Townhouses for Rent in Navarre, Florida, United States (airbnb.com)

Any other tips or suggestions you could provide on the area would be most welcome.

I would like to try and do some fishing, if just for one day or part of a day. Brother in law likes to fish and I would like to take him and his boys out. Since it is my first time in the Ocean down there I am unsure where to go. I have been off shore 10+ miles in the great lakes in 3+ footers without issues, although the waves are tighter here and it can get rough. Does anyone have any thoughts? and if so, what type of fish and tackle/bait? I have on board Chart/Plotter, and two VHF Radio's as well.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@Inthrustwetrust Great Info.

We booked a place right on the Beach, ocean side in Navarre for 8 days. They host indicated that there is parking for 6 and that I can put the boat there no problem and park it. So I have the Marina or on Premise choices. Also walkway right to beach. We will be down there the second week of August.

3-Level Gulf Front Townhome w/ Breathtaking Views - Townhouses for Rent in Navarre, Florida, United States (airbnb.com)

Any other tips or suggestions you could provide on the area would be most welcome.

I would like to try and do some fishing, if just for one day or part of a day. Brother in law likes to fish and I would like to take him and his boys out. Since it is my first time in the Ocean down there I am unsure where to go. I have been off shore 10+ miles in the great lakes in 3+ footers without issues, although the waves are tighter here and it can get rough. Does anyone have any thoughts? and if so, what type of fish and tackle/bait? I have on board Chart/Plotter, and two VHF Radio's as well.
Wow that's an awesome spot. Thinking about booking it in August or September

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We wanted June, but everything was booked.