• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Destin, FL Summer Family Boating Trip

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dangit. Sorry to hear that. They're neat boats. I want one.

You're 210 will still serve you well for this trip I think. My 190 did fine, but I wish I had a SHADE more power overall with a full compliment of people and running with another boat that was significantly more powerful than mine.
Yes the FSH is a great boat. We will revisit changing/upgrading boats again in next Winter or Spring of 2023, also see what changes they make to models, if any.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well a couple weeks away for driving down to Destin/Navarre and I am prepping the boat, changing the tires, putting more organizers in areas in the boat and prepping the Expedition for the tow. I just reached out to Adventure Marina and will most likely leave the boat there where I can have 24 hour access, wash down and electricity hookup to charge batteries. Plus it is gated and has camera's so I won't worry about it when we are doing something else. Also it cuts down on the drive from the Navarre Ramp to Destin/Crab Island substantially as well as saves a lot of gas making that trip.

Been scanning the web for different things to do, found a water park there.

Bringing all of my fishing and trolling rods, and trying to figure out where to fish and with what type of bait/lure.

Gas prices are coming down a bit. All in all pretty excited.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was in Destin a few weeks back. Stayed at the Effie hotel in the Village of Baytown Wharf area. Fun spot of bars with music, restaurants, mini golf, zip line, ice cream shops etc. Fun spot for an evening out.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Well a couple weeks away for driving down to Destin/Navarre and I am prepping the boat, changing the tires, putting more organizers in areas in the boat and prepping the Expedition for the tow. I just reached out to Adventure Marina and will most likely leave the boat there where I can have 24 hour access, wash down and electricity hookup to charge batteries. Plus it is gated and has camera's so I won't worry about it when we are doing something else. Also it cuts down on the drive from the Navarre Ramp to Destin/Crab Island substantially as well as saves a lot of gas making that trip.

Been scanning the web for different things to do, found a water park there.

Bringing all of my fishing and trolling rods, and trying to figure out where to fish and with what type of bait/lure.

Gas prices are coming down a bit. All in all pretty excited.
Dewey Destin has awesome food and it right by crab island, you can dock there I believe. Taking mine down in September, but staying at my wife's friend's house in Crestview since it's free!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, got a bunch of stuff delivered today and over the next couple of days prepping for trip........ Amazon and I have issues :)

Mesh organizer pockets.
A new Magma Grill, with Carrying case,
2 AO coolers
4 snorkel face masks for the kids.
Sahara 750 second bilge pump.
20220724_222044.jpg20220724_222044.jpg20220724_222106.jpg20220724_222125.jpg20220724_222146.jpg20220724_222209.jpg

jthackman

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
where are you putting the mesh pockets?
on my 240, thinking this could go under throttles

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
where are you putting the mesh pockets?
on my 240, thinking this could go under throttles
Probably. Going to test fit them around the boat when I have time to get up there in the next day or so.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The last time we went snorkeling (trip to Puerto Rico), my daughter and I got a pair of decent snorkel vests. They made a world of difference, no longer get tired on the water and we stay out until we look like prunes! :)

Jim

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The last time we went snorkeling (trip to Puerto Rico), my daughter and I got a pair of decent snorkel vests. They made a world of difference, no longer get tired on the water and we stay out until we look like prunes! :)

Jim
Those look pretty cool. Unfortunately there is 8 of us and I can't foot the bill for everyone, so the watersports vests will have to do.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been thinking about it and I have reserved a spot in the Yard at Adventure Marina. As I pondered this, I am going to switch it over to a dock for 7 days, waiting on a call back from them to confirm. Figured this way I only have to dunk the trailer twice and it will be much easier if I want to go out myself in the very early morning to do some fishing before the crew gets up.

I am wondering what the general rule of thumb is for tying to a dock when there are tides? Here I don't have the issue when we are docked, pretty much snug it up with just a bit of play so it can move against the fenders and the dock.

Pretty full of questions since I am getting very close to the trip.......

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Been thinking about it and I have reserved a spot in the Yard at Adventure Marina. As I pondered this, I am going to switch it over to a dock for 7 days, waiting on a call back from them to confirm. Figured this way I only have to dunk the trailer twice and it will be much easier if I want to go out myself in the very early morning to do some fishing before the crew gets up.

I am wondering what the general rule of thumb is for tying to a dock when there are tides? Here I don't have the issue when we are docked, pretty much snug it up with just a bit of play so it can move against the fenders and the dock.

Check this one out

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I would worry more about the wind, tide ain’t to bad over there usually, it’s a pretty good distance from the pass.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Inthrustwetrust Any good places to snorkel? Kids seem interested in doing that!.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Inthrustwetrust Any good places to snorkel? Kids seem interested in doing that!.
They can mess around at Crab, they will see some little fish, hermit crabs, maybe a actual crab or two. If the tide is coming in and you got the clear/blue sea water you can easily see 30-50ft in front of ya. Out going tide vis will only be a couple feet. Anywhere else in the sound/bay will only be a couple feet regardless of tide. Noriega point/East jetties are probably your best bet. I’ve never tried but I would beach up on the protected side across from the Destin harbor walk and walk over. Current through the pass can be strong and there is a lot of big boat traffic going in/out the pass. I’ve heard great things from some people that drove over and tried it

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Check this one out

Good video. I know they said the lines will stretch but I still don't understand how tight lines compensate for an outgoing tide. Was in FL in April with our 195s, first time leaving it the water. The tide swing was 18"-24". I cross tied my lines. The first morning my lines were pretty tight. The boat wasn't out of the water but probably lifted 3"-4". I put more length on them, had no trouble the rest of the week but if there had been a boat next to us I sure they would have bumped each other, side to side swing.

Attachments

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good video. I know they said the lines will stretch but I still don't understand how tight lines compensate for an outgoing tide. Was in FL in April with our 195s, first time leaving it the water. The tide swing was 18"-24". I cross tide my lines. The first morning my lines were pretty tight. The boat wasn't out of the water but probably lifted 3"-4". I put more length on them, had no trouble the rest of the week but if there had been a boat next to us I sure they would have bumped each other, side to side swing.
It appears the trick is to have long lines… I hear ya though.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
They can mess around at Crab, they will see some little fish, hermit crabs, maybe a actual crab or two. If the tide is coming in and you got the clear/blue sea water you can easily see 30-50ft in front of ya. Out going tide vis will only be a couple feet. Anywhere else in the sound/bay will only be a couple feet regardless of tide. Noriega point/East jetties are probably your best bet. I’ve never tried but I would beach up on the protected side across from the Destin harbor walk and walk over. Current through the pass can be strong and there is a lot of big boat traffic going in/out the pass. I’ve heard great things from some people that drove over and tried it
It is beautiful over there, here's a few pics from Noreaga Point

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to recap things I learned on this trip for those whom want to visit the area.

We stayed in Navarre in an AirBnB right on the Gulf. Fantastic View and a walk way right to the beach.

20220807_172550.jpg

Navarre Beach is sleepier than Destin and Pensacola which are each 30 minutes away in opposite directions. It has a great fishing pier, where we saw dolphins, sharks and some rays with a pretty cool restaurant/bar at the pier called Windjammers.

Across a Street is the Public Launch, which we didn't use since it would be about 45mins-1hour depending on weather and conditions to travel the sound to Crab Island. Plus I didn't want to keep dunking my trailer in and out everyday or more often.

Next to the public Launch is Juana's Pagoda's. Very cool for drinks, food was average, nothing to rave about, but we ended up here several nights and watched the kids play volleyball while we drank. I dove on the first night for a volleyball, after many drinks, and hurt my right and pretty bad and knocked the wind out of me. Hand still hurts, but an awesome time. Highly recommend visiting here if you are in the area.

Juana's Pagodas and Sailors' Grill (juanaspagodas.com)

Up the road a 1/4 mile is the Marine Sanctuary which has some very cool snorkeling off shore, unfortunately the surf and waves were to big all week so we didn't make it out there to Snorkel. Very bummed about that.

Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary | Navarre Beach Florida Marine Artificial Reef Snorkeling and Shore Diving

I wet slipped the boat at Adventure Marina, it ran me $650 for the week including a spot in the locked gate for my trailer. This is located on Okaloosa Island, about 4 miles from Crab Island and Destin. It is 30 minutes from where we were staying. They give you a code and there are camera's everywhere. You can access 24/7. There is a Bait Shop and fuel at the dock they are open form 7:00 am - 7:00 pm. I could of saved a couple hundred if I booked in January but I wasn't sure I wanted one. Although if we go to this area again, I will probably not wet slip since we would be doing the sound more for watersports and want the option to drop in at Destin or Pensacola depending on the weather. We like to explore.

Storage | Adventure Marina | Fort Walton Beach Florida

Pro's
1) I didn't have to drop the boat everyday.
2) Easy access, just pulled upto the boat took the cover off loaded and went.
3) Pretty cool restaurant/bar called Fubar's about 200 feet away right on the channel. Fantastic Pizza.
4) Staff was responsive and very helpful.

Con's
1) The launch at the Bait Shop is not great. Rocky, Mossy and there is just one.
2) Current can get strong there.
3) Gas Prices where ridiculous (I didn't burn a full tank the entire week, which was awesome.) Being close to Crab Island (4 miles) helped.

If I were to slip there again I would only put in and pull out at the Ross Marler Park Boat Ramp. I pulled her out on Saturday from there. Nice long deep water launches. Plenty of Parking

1660582869310.png

Crab Island

Fantastic Experience. Water was awesome. A first for me swimming in the Ocean. Weather was hit or miss, but it seemed like the storms would swirl on the outside for the most part and then dissapate.
There were a lot of boats but plenty of room. Didn't see any asshats doing anything stupid. Glad we pulled the boat down, since renting a pontoon for 4 - 6 hours or so was $900.

They have floating food vendors. Burgers, Walking Taco's, Ice Cream, General Store, Barbecue, Pulled Pork, Turkely Let, etc. Prices were a bit high but still pretty cool. Had the ice cream girl come over a few times. Most take credit card but a few vendors only take cash.

As was suggested to me by other members here, go around high tide till a couple hours after, that is when the water is at it's best.

We also anchored/Beach at spots 2, 3, 4 which was cool since the water gets deeper quicker and you can watch all the boats come in. Great Snorkeling and the water stays clearer longer as the Tide starts going out.

There is also the Destin Harbor Boardwalk which is cool. Food is ridiculous at the restaurants, we ate there the first night and I felt liked I got robbed for $450 for 8 people at TJ's, which I don't reommend. The street vendors are more reasonable and toward the end of the week we also ate our first WhataBurger :). Very cool vibe, nice shopping, a lot of fishing boats, I do recommend you visit there if you are in the area. Alos this iw where you would see a lot of different fishing charters, boat rentals, Jet Ski rentals, snorkeling charters and dolphin excursions. More than I have seen in anyone one place so far.

I attempted going out into the Gulf through the Destin Pass on Monday morning, but as I got closer I was looking at some serious Cresting and Rolling Waves, I didn't feel comfortable so I turned around. Back in the sound the water is non issue and we handled it great in the 21' boat every day. Didn't see any Dolphins in our wake or near the boat, which everyone was bummed about.

1660583328963.png

20220813_115220.jpg

As far as the weather, it rained a lot in Navarre, but not so much in Destin or Pensacola. Everyone like Pensacola and we will be going down again. Not sure if we will get back to Destin though. Crab Island and the beaches were worth it, but there is a better vibe for us in Pensacola. Maybe stay in Navarra Beach or Directly in Pensacola Beach Next time.

Finally, we went to Fort Pickens. Very cool and we walked around for a couple hours. Even the kids liked it.

1660583837789.png

20220812_120843.jpg

Overall, thanks to recommendations and pictures here from other Members, we had a fantastic Trip. The weather was a bit off but we made the best of it. Fantastic times on the beach late at night with the kids and their nephews. Good Memories.

The boat handled well. I am getting ready to do a thorough clean today. Noticed I lost a bit of speed toward the end of the week due to what felt like small bumps on the hull. I would assume it was salt build up. The Goodyear Endurance Tires, performed fantastic. Smoothest tow I have ever done. There was some pretty heavy downpours but the boat stayed dry thanks to the Second Bilge Pump I put in a couple weeks ago.

Trip down was two days and 16 hours of Driving including gas stops and rest stops. Coming home was horrible, Took 21 hours, we left at 4:00 am and drove straight through arriving just after 1:00 am this morning. Construction on the roads and Traffic in Tennessee and Kentucky was not good. We also stopped for dinner and a Cracker Barrel which took an hour and a half, worse service every, but we love Cracker Barrel and always had excellent meals.

Towing I was averaging circa 9 mpg. Gas was in the low to mid $3.00 's for most of the trip, except when you go back to Michigan it was a good deal higher.

Pretty sure I can now sell both Bimini and the Key's to the Admiral and kids with towing the boat down. We will see how the fall and winter goes.

Attachments

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
HOD,

What an awesome write up from your trip!!!!!! Anyone could take this posting, and thread for that matter, and travel to FL, stay where you did and have a great trip with reasonable expectations.

Thanks for taking the time to write up such a detailed trip report for all of us to enjoy!