• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dipstick won’t go in.

Dave H

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am stumped and hope someone can help with this. Went out to check the oil in my SX190 this afternoon. Pulled out the dipstick and noticed it felt a bit rough coming out. The when I put it back in it only went in part way leaving about 4 inches behind. It appears to hit a hard stop. I tried flipping it around and bumping it a few times, but to no avail. Also tried pushing my oil extraction tube in and it only goes in the same distance. It looks like it is making it down the length of the tube to where it enters the crankcase, but can’t be sure. It is a 2015 model and I’ve had the dealer service it in the past, including it’s last oil change in 2021. But we’ve moved away and haven’t found one here to use.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Maybey its time for a borescope? Idk sounds odd, unless you broke part of the dipstick off and its logged in the hole. Are the dipsticks plastic on that model?

Dave H

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybey its time for a borescope? Idk sounds odd, unless you broke part of the dipstick off and its logged in the hole. Are the dipsticks plastic on that model?
Thanks for the response. It is a metal one and appears to be intact. I was thinking about getting a borescope.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If there is an external tube it runs in, it may have been cushed near the crankcase interface, or some how the assemly was turned/twisted in a way it no longer guides the rod down the right path.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Start a methodical inspection before poking away at the blockage.
What does the working end of the dip stick look like? A crust ring somewhere along the length of the dip stick or completely smooth as expected? Secondly what does the tip look like? Dirty oil? Any Grit? Or smooth (albeit used oil) on the tip. Was the oil level proper or was it low?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wonder if the siphoning tube broke off somehow from the last oil change and they just left it in there.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pictures may help us help you. Dip stick, tube, etc.

chileanJK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Did you fix it?, I have the same problem with mine

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Maybe a borescope is the way to go. I’ve never used one but a quick google search will give a price range from around $20 and up.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Today I learned there is a Louisville, TN

I have a USB borescope sitting in a drawer I can send you if you want to try it. I haven't used it in years, not going to be much help troubleshooting it, but it exists and I don't mind sending it.

I would try rotating the dipstick in other orientations before you insert it. It won't go in some ways, will be tight others, and will slip right in when oriented properly.........I'm also going to leave all the "that's what she said" jokes aside :D

chileanJK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks!! but I'm in Santiago Chile!! so shipping would be high, but I have one, I'll try it tonight (that's what she said hahaha)

Can you confirm the dip stick of the 1.8HO is 21 1/2 inches long? my boat came with another sea ray boat and they could mistakenly changed the oil dip stick.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks!! but I'm in Santiago Chile!! so shipping would be high, but I have one, I'll try it tonight (that's what she said hahaha)

Can you confirm the dip stick of the 1.8HO is 21 1/2 inches long? my boat came with another sea ray boat and they could mistakenly changed the oil dip stick.
Mines in storage. Doesn't come out until the 1st of April. Be happy to check then for you.