• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Disappointed

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My new 2016 195 hoi isnt what i thought it was. Seems slow and lacks power unless full throttle. Only reaching about 35mph. Any input?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard @ScubaSteve!

What is the power plant in your boat?

Yan Masse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi ScubaSteve,

How many hours on you 195?

Also, what is your rpm at full throttle?

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Isn't this boat plauged with the factory goof up involving the intake sucking air and causing cavitation/slow speeds?

@ScarabMike got any advice?

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Supercharged rotax. 8 hrs. I was told 7 hrs was the break in period. 8k rpm is max.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What's your dealer saying?

SPCAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
although I have twins in mine, Have you got underneath and inspected the grate? Its easy to see in it with a flashlight and make sure there is nothing in there except your impeller ? Just a quick check to make sure its nothing simple.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
What's your dealer saying?
Havent talked to them about it yet. Wasnt sure how fast it should be?? Never owned a jet. And with only the 8 hrs thought i might have to wait longer. What is the normal power band and top speed?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your issue @ScubaSteve Im not sure what the max rpm's are for your boat, so I'm sure that a scarab guy would be better hell there.

If you are reaching max rpm's, I would wonder if you trailer the boat, dry slip or wet slip? If you wet slip, how long has the boat been in the water? how clean is the hull? A dirty hull could drop max speed.

Anyway, hope you figure it out soon.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure which hp supercharged engine you have but the top speed listed is 40 on the 200 hp and 43 mph on the 250hp per boat test ao your not far off. I fyou have the 200hp model its probably close to correct as those numbers usually come from a 1/4 tank of fuel and 300lbs onboard which is unrealistic in most situations unless its just you with nothing on board.

Yan Masse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Sounds like you have something stuck in your impeller.

RPM @ 8K is ok, I do 43-44 mph.

Having the bimini open reduces Speed too.

funbobby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My new 2016 195 hoi isnt what i thought it was. Seems slow and lacks power unless full throttle. Only reaching about 35mph. Any input?
@ScubaSteve - Bring it out to Belleville Lake and we can compare. :)

I assume you got it at Wilsons? If so they should be able to check it out and get it back to you within a week. I've taken mine to Brighton a few times on a Monday and every time I get it back for the weekend.

I also get ~43 MPH

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My boat wouldn't get up to full speed until 10 hours. The other thing is, my marina only sells 89 octane but the boat calls for 93. When I put 89 I get her up to about 38-39mph. When I use 93 it will do 41-43mph. I never believed in higher octane making such a big difference but I've actually seen it with my own eyes.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
In the heat of the summer the Rotax 250 will be much happier with 91+ octane as it will otherwise protect itself by retarding the ignition timing thus scrubbing power.
@ScubaSteve your boat should be a 43/45mph boat, make sure the jet pump doesn't cavitate due to possible air leaks.

BMF JK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@ScubaSteve is your boat loaded up with passengers every time you go out ? I have hit 45 mph at 8100 rpms with perfect conditions, full tank and just my wife and I .
Get 6 adults on board and speed will run between 38-40 max with average lake conditions.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2 big guys on board + full tank of gas and my biggest disadvantage: I bottom painted the boat to keep in the water which slowed the boat down a decent amount
image.jpeg

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Speed will be affected with conditions. I will echo the posts above.

1. weight
2. water temperature
3. wind
4. quality/octane of fuel
5. Cavitation

With a full load of people (8) I barely reach 40mph on my boat. 250hp on a stern or outboard is not the same as a jet. The jet will be less efficient than a prop driven engine.

funbobby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Speed will be affected with conditions. I will echo the posts above.

1. weight
2. water temperature
3. wind
4. quality/octane of fuel
5. Cavitation

With a full load of people (8) I barely reach 40mph on my boat. 250hp on a stern or outboard is not the same as a jet. The jet will be less efficient than a prop driven engine.
I'll just add that I believe one benefit of a jet drive boat, despite their inefficiency, is that their acceleration is not affected by additional weight as much as with other drive setups.

@ScarabMike - what is the relationship with water temp? Less cooling through the ride plate? So if coolant temp is say ~200F, a 20F difference in water temp for example would be a 10% difference in cooling, yeah?