• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Disaster my first time out! 🤦🏽‍♂️

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Think about it this way with the Gel coat repair on the keel. It's towards the rear where no one can see unless your under the boat so as long as the repair is a close match I'd call it good enough, slap a keel guard over it and call it good. The longest I seen for guards was 14' so you can run a second one if you want to go all the way to the transom of the boat and seal the seam with some 5200 or epoxy & there again, it's going to be where you can't see unless your laying under the boat.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Think about it this way with the Gel coat repair on the keel. It's towards the rear where no one can see unless your under the boat so as long as the repair is a close match I'd call it good enough, slap a keel guard over it and call it good. The longest I seen for guards was 14' so you can run a second one if you want to go all the way to the transom of the boat and seal the seam with some 5200 or epoxy & there again, it's going to be where you can't see unless your laying under the boat.
The back where no one can see is the most important. If it’s not smooth and flat then performance will suffer. Keel gaurd or bedliner seem like a bad idea for the back third of the keel/hull.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He has a Garmin I believe, just not the proper maps loaded. Navionics on the phone as a backup for $20 is a solid investment.
Most folks (myself included) didn't have Navionics until recently. I'm going to say that until about 2, maybe 3 years ago....Navionics App was north of $200. I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on an app. Now that they've dropped into the subscription model, I finally ponied up the $20.

You're 100% correct, it's a great tool, but a good deal of us "old guys" didn't know it had gotten cheaper until recently.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
He has a Garmin I believe, just not the proper maps loaded. Navionics on the phone as a backup for $20 is a solid investment.
I have navionics in my phone for backup, I think you need an ipad to see clearly but that's just me with fvcked up computer eyes lol.

JPINOT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Definitely looking at a keel guard once I repair the damage. Wondering if I should buy the charts for my Garmin or just do the Navionics subscription

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run both, always nice to have a backup, especially for that price. Navionics is updated pretty quick with sunken hazards as people find and post them which is nice. Now with that being said, I guess it all depends on where you boat and what charts you have. Buying additional maps may be a few bucks, but far cheaper than the damage caused.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I never boat without navionics up. Just a habit now.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Definitely looking at a keel guard once I repair the damage. Wondering if I should buy the charts for my Garmin or just do the Navionics subscription
Which Garmin model?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The back where no one can see is the most important. If it’s not smooth and flat then performance will suffer. Keel gaurd or bedliner seem like a bad idea for the back third of the keel/hull.
I would think that if the guard went from the front (anchor locker drain) to the rear that there would be no performance lost but if you installed from midship to the rear there would be some lost performance due to a slight drag from the guard's leading edge in the water. Any lost performance would be negligible if going from locker drain to transom IMO.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Charts for the garmin is couple of hundred bucks but more convenient, if you can see your phone clearly, you can just buy the navionics subscription. If you have an iPad its easier to see navionics charts while underway.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing to keep in mind with an iPad is not all models include GPS. I think it’s only the cellular iPads that have it.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Speaking from personal experience as I damaged my boat earlier in the season, you want to at least re-gelcoat the areas of where the fiberglass is exposed. The shop that did my repairs says the fiberglass will start to absorb water at some point and will travel to the areas that are still protected by gelcoat. The main problem is trying to get those areas dried out because they are under the gelcoat. This shop has been doing this since 1972 and they are well known. So I learned a lot from them.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's an insurance claim! You can do what I did when I removed a patch of gel coat last year: File the claim, then get in writing from the insurance company to allow you to temp fix your boat, then have it completely repaired in the off season.

Here's what I used: https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/bondo-glass-short-strand-reinforced-fiberglass-filler/0000000307482?Ntt=fiberglass repair

Mix, apply, sand the bumps. It was super easy and I was able to enjoy the rest of the summer without having any downtime at a repair shop. Btw, I had a local fiberglass boat builder do the repairs, as none of the auto body shops would touch it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Speaking from personal experience as I damaged my boat earlier in the season, you want to at least re-gelcoat the areas of where the fiberglass is exposed. The shop that did my repairs says the fiberglass will start to absorb water at some point and will travel to the areas that are still protected by gelcoat. The main problem is trying to get those areas dried out because they are under the gelcoat. This shop has been doing this since 1972 and they are well known. So I learned a lot from them.
I've heard the same thing, but I honestly don't believe that. Reason? The entire inside of the boat hull is raw fiberglass, and it fills with water on every use. Maybe there's a light coat of something over that fiberglass - but still, it's certainly not gel coat.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I've heard the same thing, but I honestly don't believe that. Reason? The entire inside of the boat hull is raw fiberglass, and it fills with water on every use. Maybe there's a light coat of something over that fiberglass - but still, it's certainly not gel coat.
It has to be sealed. If you look in the cleanout locker, you can see the fiberglass is sealed. No way the inner liner is filled with just raw fiberglass. Especially when some boats are taking in salt water.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I believe it is the 94v
are you sure you do not see all the numbers in navigation mode like this one? You probably are in sonar/fishing mode if you dont see it.
1622219143571.png