• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Disaster my first time out! šŸ¤¦šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

JPINOT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
are you sure you do not see all the numbers in navigation mode like this one? You probably are in sonar/fishing mode if you dont see it.
View attachment 151645
I do see those when I am in the local lake but it was just white with no markings in the bay

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do see those when I am in the local lake but it was just white with no markings in the bay
You need bluecharts BlueChartĀ® g2 HD | Garmin this is coastal charts (ICW and Off shore) check compatibility of your device (there is a tab), I think lakevue is the lake charts. The most economical way is to use navionics $20 subscription on your iphone/ipad if you want to go that route.

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You need bluecharts BlueChartĀ® g2 HD | Garmin this is coastal charts (ICW and Off shore) check compatibility of your device (there is a tab), I think lakevue is the lake charts. The most economical way is to use navionics $20 subscription on your iphone/ipad if you want to go that route.
The Navionics subscription is a steal, detailed, and easy frequent updates. I run it as backup to the Simrad chart plotter on the Yamaha and my Raymarine plotters on the Formula. Most boaters should have get it.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I'm not sure what my boat is actually equipped with, but when I'm at the lake I get a white picture with lines that look like mountain ranges. There are no depth readings. And the icon for my boat is a black arrow that is way off course.

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get that fixed professionally, I hit something a couple of years back and it didnā€™t look as bad as yours. I was all prepared to go after it myself, bought resin, gel coat, etc. Ran out of decent weather and ended up taking it to a well recommended shop. They said that I fractured a considerable amount of fiberglass and that the repair was 2-3 times bigger than what was visible to the untrained eye. They fixed it all! After talking to a friend that does fiberglass repair in another state he said that it was common for a hit to fiberglass to fracture/spiderweb and that they did the correct repair.

1622249071995.jpeg

255XE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Took my first trip to the coast and disaster struck! Went out first day stayed close to boat ramp didnā€™t have any issues with beaching or anything else. Second day forgot to fully lock port side clean out plug so couldnā€™t get any power and had major cavitation. Finally realized that what was going on and locked in place. Purred like a cat after that šŸ˜“.

After beaching it twice and having to push it out twice to get it unstuck disaster struck. Hit some rocks or a oyster reef šŸ˜°šŸ˜³. My Garmin doesnā€™t have depths or any detail for the coastal area so that should have been my first red flag šŸš© to turn around.

So now I turn to the forum for assistance! I am pretty handy with body work so I am planning on ordering some gel coat and trying to fix myself. Any input would be appreciated. And yes I will be installing a keel guard once I fix it šŸ¤¦šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø. View attachment 151552View attachment 151550View attachment 151551View attachment 151552View attachment 151550View attachment 151551View attachment 151552
DBD91DD2-9AB6-457F-8517-FC05D3B72B2C.jpeg

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As to your repair: I doubt you impacted the fiberglass from the pictures, but @Jimmers is right that it can be hard to tell. Even for a shop, until they grind down to start the repair, they may not be able to sell how much or if any of the glass is damaged. Repairing the glass and the gel coat is a different ballgame from just doing the gel coat.

And it looks like you have some pretty good surface area at issue. And you are on a curved surface (the keel). That is more difficult when you do get to the gel coat stage.

I'm a pretty big DIY guy, and have done gel coat (and even a little glass) before (with help from this forum, I might add). If I had never done gel coat before, this one I would take to the shop and file the insurance. Even having done gel coat, I would still seriously consider doing that. This is going to be a big repair.

A word on the water wicking into the fibers: This is true. when the gel coat is knocked off, water can wick into the glass fibers and make its way into the boat. But the concern is not really a 'leak' in the boat that will fill the boat with water. The concern is that most boat manufacturers add structural integrity to fiberglass by laying the fiberglass with a wood base. In those situations, the migrating water comes to the wood and rots the wood. Then you have a hole (effectively) where your wood structure was and the fiberglass fails. Badly.

Yamaha uses very little wood in their hull construction. I believe I have some on my transom. But nowhere near what most boats have. For that reason, I think Yamaha does not gel the inside of their hulls. So I think we have less to worry about on that front than some boats. Not that I recommend tempting fate there, and I would not be putting yours into the water again if it were mine (too big a damage area). But for a little nick or so, I don't think it is anywhere near as critical in our Yamaha boats as with most.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Where is this I'll be in marathon this summer (end of next month)
Marquesas
you would have to go to key west fuel up sand go, from there about 3o miles. It is awesome itā€™s up from the channel you are in protected water most of the way.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good places, 7 mile Grill has live music at night and itā€™s pretty cool. The lighthouse grill AKA FARO BLANCO an awesome high-end place to eat if you want that thereā€™s also fuel there. The Sunset Grill and rahbar is a great place you can eat and if you have kids with you they can or you can swim in the pool which is right next to all the tables.AEFD338D-48D4-4F17-98C2-8F27A0F8FCDA.jpeg452B7CF0-D7FA-472D-B965-850EE190785F.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good places, 7 mile Grill has live music at night and itā€™s pretty cool. The lighthouse grill AKA FARO BLANCO an awesome high-end place to eat if you want that thereā€™s also fuel there. The Sunset Grill and rahbar is a great place you can eat and if you have kids with you they can or you can swim in the pool which is right next to all the tables.View attachment 151828View attachment 151829
Is that the same Sunset Grill from the song?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We ate at sunset grill last time will have to check the other 2 out, thanks

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
? Donā€™t know
I happened to be enjoying that song today. Don Henley was writing about a place in LA he used to go, and people watch.
Love Sunset Grille in Marathon too and each time I try to pick up another ceramic collectable drink container or two.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I happened to be enjoying that song today. Don Henley was writing about a place in LA he used to go, and people watch.
Love Sunset Grille in Marathon too and each time I try to pick up another ceramic collectable drink container or two.
Thanks for the info on the song!