• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Distortion, new speakers no amp

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, question. I installed 4 wet sounds xs650's just now and wanted to listen to them without an amp (will be installing an amp in a week). They are a little bit louder than the stock speakers but they get distorted at about 90% volume unless I turn down the treble and bass which makes the music flat. I do not think they are that loud and I'm wondering if the amp will double the volume. Also after adding the amp and to get the speakers loud, I do not want to put the bass and treble flat in the middle. Can you see where im going....i like really loud music

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20170623_163333.jpg
20170623_165117.jpg
20170623_165122.jpg
As you can see, Yamaha could not get it right the first time. Luckily, the new speaker holes were wider.
20170623_165326.jpg

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Ok, question. I installed 4 wet sounds xs650's just now and wanted to listen to them without an amp (will be installing an amp in a week). They are a little bit louder than the stock speakers but they get distorted at about 90% volume unless I turn down the treble and bass which makes the music flat. I do not think they are that loud and I'm wondering if the amp will double the volume. Also after adding the amp and to get the speakers loud, I do not want to put the bass and treble flat in the middle. Can you see where im going....i like really loud music
If you are listening to HU power then understand that the HU power specifications are pure fantasy....not at all rated on the same basis as good external amplifiers. So the distortion you are hearing is when the HU runs out of power....and not from the speakers. Also, most but not all, HUs clip/distort at or just before 90%. The extra numeric ceiling affords you the added gain in case you have a very low gain source. Chances are that when adding an amplifier the HU preamp output will clip at about the same numeric level. As for bass and treble, the more tone boost you add the less volume you will achieve before the amplifier clips/distorts. So keeping tone controls flat or neutral will produce the most output.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's not the speakers, it is your underpowered head unit. You want 100W/channel amp (or more) going to those speakers. With that being said if you really want bass you will need a sub. Doubling the volume takes a lot of power.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what i thought, thank you guys for the quick responses.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Polk DB651s currently and will be switching them out with the same Wet Sounds you have this week. When I added the Polks it did little to inprove the sound. So I added a 5 channel Polk amp and a 10inch JL sub and it was an amazing improvement! Then I added tower speakers and another amp and that was a game changer. Now while we are swimming off the back it sounds great.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Polk DB651s currently and will be switching them out with the same Wet Sounds you have this week. When I added the Polks it did little to inprove the sound. So I added a 5 channel Polk amp and a 10inch JL sub and it was an amazing improvement! Then I added tower speakers and another amp and that was a game changer. Now while we are swimming off the back it sounds great.
Do you just have the 2 stock batteries? Does your system drain them? Also I'm looking to add in a duel bank charger.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you just have the 2 stock batteries? Does your system drain them? Also I'm looking to add in a duel bank charger.
I have a basic starting/deep cycle batter and a 31M 105 AH as a second battery. I have a 600w amp and 400w amp and pull from both batteries most of the time. I get hours of music at max volume. I've only ran down the one deep cycle one time to where the amp cut off due to low voltage....and even without enough voltage to turn the amp on it would still start the motors. I have a dual bank charger and manual swich.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
An amp with cheap speakers will always sound better than great speakers without an amp. You need watts for bass. You can also quickly ruin great speakers by playing too loud without the appropriate watts.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be very interested in what you find with that swap!

I have 10 DB651s and really like those. To me they sound very soft and musical yet plenty loud without any distortion when properly powered.

My new (tower) Wet Sounds ICON8s are very good speakers, excellent quality etc. However, I would NOT describe the Icons as mellow sounding speakers by any stretch (or particularly musical for that matter). Perfectly good when under way. But when we are stationary I find myself turning the Icons down and cranking the in-boats (DBs).

My zoning works very well with the WS420.

Curious what you'll find.

--

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I have 10 DB651s and really like those. To me they sound very soft and musical yet plenty loud without any distortion when properly powered.

My new (tower) Wet Sounds ICON8s are very good speakers, excellent quality etc. However, I would NOT describe the Icons as mellow sounding speakers by any stretch (or particularly musical for that matter). Perfectly good when under way. But when we are stationary I find myself turning the Icons down and cranking the in-boats (DBs).

--
I switched from the DBs to JL MX650s and amp. I don't have 10 speakers so not apples to apples, but you can drive the heck out of the JLs and the clarity of the music at high volume is awesome. Is it night and day better than the DBs? Not really, but easily better. I have HLCD towers too and understand that they aren't mellow and find myself balancing a little heavier on the boat speakers and sub when anchored and floating. Sometimes though I max out both just because I can!

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
An amp with cheap speakers will always sound better than great speakers without an amp. You need watts for bass. You can also quickly ruin great speakers by playing too loud without the appropriate watts.
You can't ruin speakers without enough Watts. You ruin the speakers by clipping (Distorting) the signal going to the speakers, this usually happens in an underpowering situation because people turn their HU up as loud as it gets and the distortion ruins the speakers, not the lack of wattage.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can't ruin speakers without enough Watts. You ruin the speakers by clipping (Distorting) the signal going to the speakers, this usually happens in an underpowering situation because people turn their HU up as loud as it gets and the distortion ruins the speakers, not the lack of wattage.
I think that's exactly what @Jgorm is saying.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I switched from the DBs to JL MX650s and amp. I don't have 10 speakers so not apples to apples, but you can drive the heck out of the JLs and the clarity of the music at high volume is awesome. Is it night and day better than the DBs? Not really, but easily better. I have HLCD towers too and understand that they aren't mellow and find myself balancing a little heavier on the boat speakers and sub when anchored and floating. Sometimes though I max out both just because I can!
The ICON8s are not HLCDs and that is why I got those. I really wanted JL 880s... (long story... wife liked the looks of icons better, whatever). Those new tower speakers are marketed as "surfing" distance/range, which kind of works.

--

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ICON8s are not HLCDs and that is why I got those. I really wanted JL 880s... (long story... wife liked the looks of icons better, whatever). Those new tower speakers are marketed as "surfing" distance/range, which kind of works.

--
That's right...I remember about the ICON 8s....they are still harsh sounding ? I've softened mine up a bit for lounging behind the boat with an EQ.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's right...I remember about the ICON 8s....they are still harsh sounding ? I've softened mine up a bit for lounging behind the boat with an EQ.
I think it is that large titanium tweeter vs silk in JLs.
ICON8s are not bad at all, just not super soft. Nothing like the old style HLCDs shrill, punishing, and harsh, lol. More like just very bright.

--

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The distortion / clipping is caused by lack of wattage.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The distortion / clipping is caused by lack of wattage.
Distortion / Clipping is caused by people trying to drive their HU amplifier or external amplifier harder than it was designed to do. Usually by chasing Volume..

If you never distort the signal going to the speakers, the lack of watts will never ruin a speaker.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

--
I will let you know. The Polks just didn't seem to be able to handle mid/bass very well at higher levels. I'm also installing the WS420 this week.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length