• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY decal removal gone South…

Update… I worked the starboard side yesterday and it is not quite there. The admiral brought up a good point yesterday (as always during times of stress that I have with the boat) to wait until our new registration stickers come sometime this year for 2023. Point being, if I am taking off all of the stickers I would like to replace the boat cf numbers and the registration stickers and wet sand the entire thing at one time. For now I have hit it all with the oxidation remover and placed a light coat of polish and wax to make it decent for our trip next week. Only thing noticeable is the ghosting of the old decals, other than that she’s shiny. We only have one lake trip planned for the summer due to schedules ? so it won’t be out on the lake that much. I can then take more time and get myself set up to wet sand it all and get a proper rotary buffer to do the job. I will post pictures of final finish once completed. ?? Hopefully there will be new seadek/ gatorstep in the boat as well! Thank you all who provided input, videos, and personal successes with this job. Cannot say how much I appreciate the community on this site. Happy and safe boating to you all! ☀ ??

PS- The admiral was a huge help with the decal removal. Still married!

I removed the graphics.

20170415_144558.jpg

I wetsanded with 1000, 1500 and finally 2000 3m wet or dry paper.

20170430_102323.jpg

After wetsanding the topsides and using the DA with a heavy cut oxidation remover. Had no rotary at the time.

20170430_172441_001.jpg

After final polish and wax.

20210606_131813.jpg

20210610_073934.jpg

Update… I worked the starboard side yesterday and it is not quite there. The admiral brought up a good point yesterday (as always during times of stress that I have with the boat) to wait until our new registration stickers come sometime this year for 2023. Point being, if I am taking off all of the stickers I would like to replace the boat cf numbers and the registration stickers and wet sand the entire thing at one time. For now I have hit it all with the oxidation remover and placed a light coat of polish and wax to make it decent for our trip next week. Only thing noticeable is the ghosting of the old decals, other than that she’s shiny. We only have one lake trip planned for the summer due to schedules ? so it won’t be out on the lake that much. I can then take more time and get myself set up to wet sand it all and get a proper rotary buffer to do the job. I will post pictures of final finish once completed. ?? Hopefully there will be new seadek/ gatorstep in the boat as well! Thank you all who provided input, videos, and personal successes with this job. Cannot say how much I appreciate the community on this site. Happy and safe boating to you all! ☀ ??

I also have a

I also have a 2008 SX 230 and used a 3M "removal wheel" which worked great. Took a while but it turned out great.

The best way to remove oxidation from a fiberglass gel coat decal is to utilize a marine grade product. Note that wax or polish may not be enough on a fiberglass surface. But painting a new layer would do.
To remove oxidation from vinyls, the old decal can be removed by wet sanding the surface or by peeling them off. A good polish also does the trick, and then replace the vinyls with new ones.
As for the fully painted finish surface, the ideal way to remove oxidation is to paint over the original gel coat.

I chickened out on my boat before I even hit the 3M 1000.
I'm hoping to find a pro that can do it 'right'. I have the name of a guy that details trucks at my brother's shop. I need to give him a call.

To remove oxidation on decals you just need to polish and wax that area. I usually polish the decal, replace and remove it to make it cleaner, then repaint it.

I am removing the 5 inch "YAMAHA" stuck on letters from the rear sides of the boat soon. I expect them to come off easy, since 3 of them are already falling off. Boat is 5 weeks old.

Back