1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  2. After selling out of last years red and blue models, Eric Justason has ordered another round of Koozies. The new color options are Blue with Yellow Logo, Red with Black Logo and Yellow with Blue Logo. He is making them available for $1.25 each. You can order yours via his Order Form or you can discuss them in this Thread. All proceeds from Koozie sales go into future SWAG production and event sponsorship.

(Clicking the X in the top right hand corner will dismiss this notice).
    Dismiss Notice

DIY steering cable replacement, pump pulls & cone lube check

Discussion in 'Yamaha AR210, SX210, 212X & 212SS' started by Seadeals, Jan 2, 2016.

1. fairpilot

fairpilot Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +192 / 2
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    what primer and paint was used on intake grates

2. fairpilot

Ratings:
    +192 / 2
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    thought the grease in the cones was something special, what did you use on them. thought I read all these things about it having to be kinda liquidy.

3. Seadeals

Seadeals Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +425 / 6
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    Hi @fairpilot
    Primer: https://duplicolor.com/product/self-etching-primer

I have tried two paints.
    Original port pump refurb:
    Paint: http://www.vhtpaint.com/specialty/vht-epoxy-all-weather-paint
    Starboard pump refurb and port touch-up:
    Paint: https://duplicolor.com/product/wheel-coating

I removed corrosion spots with a more docile 3m abrasive wheel but you never seem to get it all. A few of the tougher spots inevitably resurfaced so I have done touch-ups once a season.

I know you are just asking about grates; but I also reported elsewhere the paint does fail where I used it on the pump parts. This is due to heat from the exhaust. It happened quickly (on first use during the Cooper River run last year). Port sides of pumps held up pretty well. (Today) IMG_1277.JPG The starboard side of the pumps are exposed to exhaust heat and that proved too much for the paint/primer combo. (Today)
    IMG_1275.JPG
    You can see the "bare" metal is still the etched surface from the primer so it still met my primary objective to fight corrosion. Also, those new steering cables were silver out of the box; but changed to the brass color very quickly. That exhaust heat is no joke.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. fairpilot

Ratings:
    +192 / 2
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    That is a very harsh enviroment, Im sure almost any paint will fail, i thought i saw someone who color etched these parts, not sure the process, maybe some form of anodizing, possibly maybe a metal shop could give some insight. As for the grates, Im sure it is very difficult to keep paint on those also, the grit in the water tears this stuff up.
    What did you put back in the cones for grease for the bearings thought a special grease had to go in there

5. Seadeals

Seadeals Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +425 / 6
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    The paint holds up fine on the grates. I blasted and anodized the nozzle and reverse gate; but the pump housing has the steel wear ring and I didn't think that combo would anodize The other section has the shaft bearings and I didn't want to break it all down just to anodize so I blasted off the corrosion etched and painted instead.

The slurry is royal purple ultra performance grease with royal purple 80w-90 synthetic oil mixed in until reaching a desired ooze consistency. It was thick enough for me to get the cone back on before pouring out.
    IMG_1284.PNG
    Keep in mind, unless you disassemble the impeller shaft and bearings from the housing, you are only really greasing the aft (exposed) bearing. My intention with this was to get a thinner mix of lubrication in there to keep things covered.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Art Traver

Art Traver Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    I just picked up a 2007 sx210. Going through the threads I saw how easy it was to check and repack the bearings, and not knowing the maintenance history on the boat it seemed like a good idea. Only issue I had was re-installing the starboard pump. I was able to seat the unit, but it kept wanting to push itself back about 1/4". Has any one else experienced this, or should I remove the pump again and try to reseat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bruce

Bruce Jetboaters Fleet Admiral Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,255 / 46
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    Did you grease the splines before reassembling the pumps?

8. Seadeals

Seadeals Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +425 / 6
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    Good question. It seems like the well greased splines may create a seal that can initially compress (trap) air in the sleeve for a push-back effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Art Traver

Art Traver Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    yes, i greased the spline. i used 2-4-D marine lube, same as i have used when i had an outboard. the spline seemed to slip in fine, no binding.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  10. Bruce

Bruce Jetboaters Fleet Admiral Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,255 / 46
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    As @Seadeals pointed out the grease was likely holding air in.

11. Art Traver

Art Traver Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    so most likely not an issue, the air will bleed out

12. fairpilot

Ratings:
    +192 / 2
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    If it seats when you push it in I would say it fine, mine wanted to pop back a small amount after greasing, bolt it down all should be ok