• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY surf gate v1.0

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yesterday I stopped by @Bill D's home on the way to the Bama game and he graciously let me borrow some of his bags and pumps for testing. Thanks again Bill! Hoping to hit the water next Friday to test with plenty of ballast.
It’s Friday, did you make it to the water? I’m excited to hear about the test results.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did not. Had to take my dog to the vet and then to my daughters school for a Halloween parade. Weather isn't looking great for the weekend but hoping it will clear a little on Sunday for some testing.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just a heads up but I'm headed to the lake to finally test this thing with some heavy ballast. I'll take the GoPro to capture some footage.

IMG_7101.JPG

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well once heavily ballasted along with my greater angle to the wedge causes too much pull to the wedge side and you have to crank the steering opposite too much to keep the jet wash from going over. I will post video when I get home from the lake. It's not pretty lol.

I did however test with ballasting 60/40 on the bench and sides which gave a nice wave without the wedge. Had no issues with cavitation pulling 1400 lbs. I had more ballast to fill but will go further in the spring.

IMG_7105.JPG

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Video is rendering now and I will upload to YT once it's complete.

Here is jet spray chaos in action using the surf wedge with approx 1300-1400 lbs

total chaos 2.jpg

Here are some pics of the surf wedge installed with my latest angle changes. It tucks in nice on the boat and follows the hull contours. However without skegs underneath this boat I see no way of controlling the sideways effect from all that force being applied to the surf wedges surface. It's just too much to overcome unfortunately.

wedge outside.jpg

wedgeunder.jpg

Once I removed the surf wedge and played around with where I was on the boat, I was able to make some decent waves with just 1300-1400 lbs. If the borrowed pump I had was higher gph then I would have stayed out longer to test 3 more bags but that thing fills slow compared to my 1200 gph Tsunami pump for my FlyHigh bag.

nice curl.jpg

With an approx. 60/40 split of ballast distribution I was able to move side to side on the boat to have an effect on which side the wave would develop just by moving around...

starboard curl.jpg

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upload_2017-11-6_9-57-3.png
I think that first picture tells the whole story:
The pump is steered to port, pushing all the jet wash over the wake. No go.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wait until you see the vid and laugh your butt off lol

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's video from yesterdays testing. I forgot to add some text for the last few sections of the video where I removed the surf wedge but I think it's pretty obvious it's been removed :D