• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DJI Mavic Drone

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anybody heard anything on this? I have been patiently waiting for 3 months for DJI to catch up/fix issues but haven't heard a word.
I love the portability of this drone!!

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
They're out and about in the market if you can get lucky. I've heard that DJI is shipping them pretty quickly through their own website but third party dealers are still being hit with delays. Latest I heard was that the Chinese New Years was going to slow down production a bit so they are filling their own orders before dealers. I got lucky in December and stumbled upon one at my local Best Buy but it was pure luck and the other two they had didn't last long from one I heard.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recieved my mavic drone mid December.....
I placed my order oct 11

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm looking forward to seeing the videos you guys will produce. Don't forget to register with the FAA, rumor has it that they are issuing fines to those who are posting videos but who haven't put their FAA registration number on their flying cameras.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I want one so bad....I go to korea for 5 weeks next month and then 2 weeks later, Bahrain for 5 or 6 more.....This might be my gift to myself for all that travel....oh wait, I guess I'm supposed to get the wife something for being a single mom for ~3 months.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I forgot to mention that before Xmas I could have ordered one through my employer's (Apple) website for $750 with controller but the estimated delivery date was mid-feb (at least 7 weeks later). I have not seen that good a deal since anywhere. There are guys selling them new in package on Craig's list for closer to $2k, I giggle when I see those ads but they must be selling because I don't see the ads up for long.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What do you think? Are they as good as all the reviews say?
YES! I love my Mavic! It's well worth the money. To a camera aficionado, they may claim the DJI Phantom 4 camera is better but to the average flyer its hard to tell any difference. And you honestly can't compare it to other brands because DJI is in a class all its own. I have both a Mavic and a P4 but I can't tell the picture quality apart however the portability of the Mavic over the others is worth the cost alone. It's very easy to travel with.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
YES! I love my Mavic! It's well worth the money. To a camera aficionado, they may claim the DJI Phantom 4 camera is better but to the average flyer its hard to tell any difference. And you honestly can't compare it to other brands because DJI is in a class all its own. I have both a Mavic and a P4 but I can't tell the picture quality apart however the portability of the Mavic over the others is worth the cost alone. It's very easy to travel with.
Thanks, I can't wait to get mine, I've put some money down on it and they say it should be here by the end of the month.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can completely vouch for the Mavic. I had the Phantom and this thing blows it away. We had the boat going about 40mph and on the follow me mode, kept right up to the boat. It's amazing. Also to note, DJI just upgraded their protection program to include water, only catch is you have to send them the damaged unit. So just make sure you rig up something so that'll float. Couldn't be more impressed with the Mavic

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Trevor Shipman : How close (altitude and horizontal distance) could you get to the subject and still enable follow me mode?

My p4 won't let me use follow me unless I'm at least 30 feet or meters up. I can't recall which now but it was too high for my intended use. I'd buy a Mavic if it can fly autonomously closer to the subject being filmed or pictured, That is, if the Mavic is more functional than a p4 not just more portable than one.

Last edited:

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Trevor Shipman : How close (altitude and horizontal distance) could you get to the subject and still enable follow me mode?

My p4 won't let me use follow me unless I'm at least 30 feet or meters up. I can't recall which now but it was too high for my intended use. I'd buy a Mavic if it can fly autonomously closer to the subject being filmed or pictured, That is, if the Mavic is more functional than a p4 not just more portable than one.
Hey Ronnie, I think it only needs to be 10 or 15tt up before follow me works. It's really impressive. Especially on the boat when you don't have to worry about obsticals.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Trevor Shipman , thanks . Have you posted the video taken of the boat with the mavic in follow me mode? If so please post the link. When you get a chance I'd appreciate if you could verify the minimum required height and distance for follow me to work. On the p4 its speed limited as well and I'm not impressd with how it works when it does work.

I was planning to buy a lily to get better arial footage of myself while boating, wake boarding and tubing but lily went under before shipping any copters. Anyway, If the follow me mode on the mavic is better than the p4 I could get better footage while driving the boat at speed, I'm still on the fence as to whether this alone is worth the cost. The other option is to have someone else drive the boat while I fly the p4 in sport mode but I'd be stuck filming instead of being filmed again, hmm.

I'm reading a lot more about people being fined (hundreds and even thousands) for flying where they shouldn't, like in wild life reserves, national parks or without their FAA registration numbers on their flying cameras, etc. just saying be careful where you fly and about identifying where you fly in your videos.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Trevor Shipman I also would like to see your videos of 'follow me' mode. If reasonable videos are possible at 10 mph surfing speed and 19 mph wakeboarding speed then I may be seriously in the market for a Mavic.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well we had an epic fail and forgot the SD card this weekend. My boat is actually in storage but we brought it out on my buddies boat to try the follow me mode. I'll take a follow me mode video this weekend of just me walking so you can get an idea. I can promise this, the Mavic will not disappoint. On every front it's amazing.

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well we had an epic fail and forgot the SD card this weekend. My boat is actually in storage but we brought it out on my buddies boat to try the follow me mode. I'll take a follow me mode video this weekend of just me walking so you can get an idea. I can promise this, the Mavic will not disappoint. On every front it's amazing.
I can't wait to see your video. I just ordered mine, hope it doesn't take too long to ship. YouTube has some phenomenal video the Mavic is taking.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I got a great deal on a barely used mavic pro system (two additional batteries, four port charging hub and a car charger) today with dji care. Even if the track view does not work as well as I want, I should still be able to use it in the water via wifi from my smart phone (no need to bring or put the dedicated remote at risk by taking it with me tubing or wakeboarding).

I've only flown it once but didn't check the advanced flight features. So far I'm impressed, smaller and easier to set up and fly. I was able to get the first person vision goggles to work with the tablet. I Also purchased the pictured case and a high speed memory card. Still need to slap an FAA registration number on it to make it all legal but don't think is much else I need to do to it, at least not right away. My P4 gear is in some of the pics for comparison.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats Ronnie!

The only thing that I don't care for with the Mavic is the position of the tablet below the remote controller. I have seen some fairly decent mods that will overcome this, but I don't understand why DJI went with this style, it will be interesting to see if they keep that in future generations.

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can't wait to see your video. I just ordered mine, hope it doesn't take too long to ship. YouTube has some phenomenal video the Mavic is taking.
Thats awesome! Please let me know what you think of the goggles. It seems like those would be very useful and a lot of fun.