• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DJI Mavic Drone

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Ronnie I am anxiously awaiting your testing of the Mavic at those altitudes. I would like to see how it videos at surf and wakeboard speeds flying close to the boat.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, looks like I may have to get one of these after all. I've never been an advocate for drones as they have a history of being intrusive. However, my profession has a high demand for drone usage. So much so we just had a 2 hour seminar on drone usage in the commercial roofing and exterior waterproofing field. Drones are in high demand for inspections, infrared leak detection, wall inspections on joints and windows, and as a marketing tool to showcase before and after aerial views of roofing projects as well as time lapse aerial views of high profile projects. My first need is a week by week aerial view of a high profile roof replacement of The Ector County Colliseum in Odessa, TX.

So I have started the process to get my UAV commercial license and will be getting a drone soon. I intend to use it for my own purposes on my projects, but also offer it as a free service to my clients as a perk to use my products on their projects.

Anyone else have a commercial license?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@BigN8 , I wish you well on your drone adventures. What kind of drones is your company going to get? Are you going to get something to practice with? There is some good simulation software out there as well.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did some impulse buying at Best Buy today. Couldn't resist the back pack carrying case for the mavic and the new zeiss bar goggles look easier to manage than the cinemizers.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most likely Inspire 1. Of course I don't see a whole heck of a lot difference between that one and the phantom pro. Maybe some high end camera stuff but not mutch. I'm still looking. I'm working on the license first. It's a hefty fine if your caught flying for business with no license.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a link to my first Mavic review video. It's still to cold to go boating.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It looks more stable than any of the Phantoms I had (Pro, Standard, 4K, and P2), and those were pretty stable.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
interesting attachment for unexpected water landing

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is some footage of us on the boat. Used follow me mode and a little manual operation as well. The Mavic, in my opinion, is amazing.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Trevor Shipman
Is that the closest that the Mavic would fly in follow me mode?

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No, I didn't really test to see how close it would get. I'm sure a bit closer wouldn't have been an issue. It was freezing that day so we got in and out. Haha. I think, I could be wrong, it needs to at least be 10' off the ground for follow me though.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
OK, well that gives me hope as I want to see it catch expressions on faces at wakeboard speed.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was able to use follow me mode to track my wife's car around the parking lot at about 10' high and 15' to 30' back. The Mavic was really stable / maintained its altitude and distance at less than 10 mph not sure how it will do at boarding and tubing speeds.

Also, the Mavic lost the car when i tried to put the Mavic in front of the car in "lead me" mode. That is, it kept flying in the direction the car was going before the Mavic lost it. Of course, I forgot to hit the record button when I was testing these / follow me - lead me and track modes.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Bad Ronnie, back to the lab. :)I am counting on your perspective.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hear you. I was supposed to do more on the following day but Mother Nature had different plans as it rained and hailed all day.

aceofbase

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just got my Mavic pro with 4 batteries, cases and I fly over water so I have 4 floats on the extended landing gear...flew that configuration in sport mode tonight and it flew perfectly. I am wrapping it in white vinyl and I have corrosion X'ed most of it carefully. I fly with an IPAD mini and I am getting great video so far. I have a 2014 SX 240 HO and will be getting the follow me mode video up soon. Its an amazing set up....hope I don't soak it like my Phantom 3.....I have a good pic of the float set up in you are interested.

aceofbase

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got my Mavic pro with 4 batteries, cases and I fly over water so I have 4 floats on the extended landing gear...flew that configuration in sport mode tonight and it flew perfectly. I am wrapping it in white vinyl and I have corrosion X'ed most of it carefully. I fly with an IPAD mini and I am getting great video so far. I have a 2014 SX 240 HO and will be getting the follow me mode video up soon. Its an amazing set up....hope I don't soak it like my Phantom 3.....I have a good pic of the float set up in you are interested.
No pic? Would love to see the water setup. DJI Care now includes water damage.

aceofbase

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No pic? Would love to see the water setup. DJI Care now includes water damage.

In order to get the DJI insurance you need to recover the drone,,,

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

In order to get the DJI insurance you need to recover the drone,,,
Correct, which is why I'm interested in seeing the float setup. I don't really care about keeping it dry, just need to be able to recover.