• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do MR1s require periodic valve adjustment?

...and from all 62 years I have on this planet there is one thing I firmly believe in, if it AINT broke, DONT fix it!!!

Amen.

I say if it's easy to check, check it. If you need to start ripping critical things apart to check it, it's probably best to just let 'er ride...

Good advice there Jeff. I will begin the new regiment of soap when I get my new boat. Though this time I'm going to limit my salt water use. It just so hard cause it's so close

I don't know if salt water was your issue, I think it may have contributed to the problem.
I don't know if you have zinc on your pumps etc but that is a must have for salt water use in my opinion.
The anodes on the pumps are usually magnesium not zinc. So add some if you don't have them already. I even put them on my trailer at the rear since the do help, Remember the trailer is grounded to the battery and charging system of your tow vehicle, so when it is backed down in the water it has a lot of electrolysis going on.

O-ring re-install w/o lube....bottom line problem from a Yamaha mechanic...like everyone said....blow past the 200 hr. Sorry for the absence, been busy...no excuse.

I change oil and filter every 50 hours.
I just did that to both my skies last week as a matter of fact. As for my engines I only use 1800 engines , Never had a mr1.
However I know a lot of people who do have them and I do not recall the valve lash being a concern.
My 2010 S H O supercharged ski had 651 hours on it when I sold it late last summer.
I flush with car wash soap , I only run in salt water. I have never had to do any valve adjustments and from all 62 years I have on this planet there is one thing I firmly believe in, if it AINT broke, DONT fix it!!!
Also I might add if you don't want it to break BUY a YAMAHA. That's my opinion yours may be different. But I doubt it.
Now I believe the worst thing you can do to a marine engine is let it sit for an extended period of time, so I moved to FLORIDA and I ride every week , usually 2 or 3 times a week. Ok so That isn't why I moved to Florida but it is why I stay here.
Actually think of it in this respect, your exhaust system has water in it when it is not in use, when your engine is not running some of your exhaust valves are sitting open, this is a direct rout to the water in the muffler, commonly called a water box " go figure".
So water likes to evaporate, when it does the water vapor travels up the exhaust system and enters the exhaust valves that are open.
I would guess some of that vapor condenses and enters the combustion chambers, NOT GOOD, and a good suspect for why the threads of some sparkplugs get rusted and cause issues.
Or the water vapor condenses on the valve stems of the closed exhaust valves, this can cause a valve to stick open and get rudely introduced to the top of a piston also NOT GOOD.
All that is the reason they have you fog an engine for storage. Lots of people don't do that or sometimes they did not plan on letting the engines sit , either way letting them sit is not good. I start mine once a week if the weather won't allow me to get out on the water.
I realize this really has nothing to do with valve adjustments but it is more likely to cause you a problem than not getting your valves checked every 200 hours.
So weather permitting protect your investment and get out on the water as often as you can. THATS MY ADVICE!
Hey mate I only realised this after buy a 2010 fx ho with 55 hours last year , so 55 hours in 12 years, basically one weekend a year or so he would drive it up 5 hours from his place in south west Australia to a beach shack and ride , flush then take home and let it sit till the next year. I bought it in the following 9 months I have got it to 110 hours, had impeller redone and a 2 services. It has a lumpy idle that both mechanics said couldn't work out why but once under load it runs fine. About 5 x tho after sitting in water it won't start instantaneously like usual. Takes a bit then it's like it's bogged down or flooded like a carby . I thought it may be a air sensor or looses clip on the water muffler but this is my first ski. I have purchased diagnostic kit also, mechanic who just serviced said it seems like a good ski but check chain at around 200 hours. He didn't know it's history tho. You seeem like the ski guru and would love your thoughts please . Thanks legends

Back