• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Does anyone polish their boat?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bought a brand spankin' new boat last year and I would very much like to keep it that for as long as possible. Being brand new and never kept in the water, the hull still looks really good so I was planning on just putting a solid coat or two of wax before getting her back in the water this year, but is polishing a good idea too or is that something you only need/want to do after the gelcoat starts to look faded?

Mine is an 08 and still looks showroom new for the majority of the boat. I wax/polish the boat probably 4-5 times in the boating season. Also for winter I put a thick coat of wax on and leave it on until after winter. Polish after winter and ready to go!

I bought a brand spankin' new boat last year and I would very much like to keep it that for as long as possible. Being brand new and never kept in the water, the hull still looks really good so I was planning on just putting a solid coat or two of wax before getting her back in the water this year, but is polishing a good idea too or is that something you only need/want to do after the gelcoat starts to look faded?
I'm no expert on this, but if it looks like it still has that showroom shine then I would not polish the boat. By definition polish means to shine the boat or finish, so if it is already shinny then why mess with it. I plan to polish my hull as I have seen a decrease in speed due to the hull being rough, and then I will apply some wax.

Clarification. .....I just wax the boat.

Boat Bling for me!!

@Jim Robeson do you use boat bling while the boat is on the lift (assuming you have a lift by your avatar)?

I do mine at least twice a year, once in the Spring and again in the Fall before storage.

This is my routine, which takes scratches out too. If you dont have scratches then skip the rubbing compound step.

I bought this from harbor frieght:

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-electronic-polisher-66615.html

Bought 3m rubbing compound:
http://www.premiumboatcare.com/3m-g...productid=3m-gelcoat-compound&channelid=FROOG

And Attwood cleaner wax and polish:
http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-...30100-1.aspx?gclid=CLn__J_dvL0CFY1xOgodtEMA1g
http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-41258-attwood-premium-marine-polish-with-ptef-16-oz-30108-1.aspx

You will need two buffing pads, one for compounding and one for polishing.

Set the RPM at 1500 (dont go too high or you'll burn the finish) and apply the rubbing compound with the polisher. It will take some time but compound until the scratches turn grey and they start to disappear.

Then switch to the polishing pad and apply at the same RPM the cleaner wax. You should do this until the you cant see the scratches anymore.

Then apply the polish by hand with an applicator pad and clean terry cloth.

This method works well for me and my black hull. Its not cheap (especially if you get the 3m polishing and compounding pads) but worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
@Jim Robeson do you use boat bling while the boat is on the lift (assuming you have a lift by your avatar)?

Yes sir. On Sunday's before we leave I will give her a good rub down. I really like that stuff!! I also use the Vinyl Sauce and Conditioning Sauce.

Mine is a 2011 and still has the showroom sheen. I use all of the Boat Bling products. I wipe the hull down with Hot Sauce after each use and that supposedly puts a thin layer of wax on the boat. At the beginning and end of the season I will use the Quickie Sauce which is a quick wax. I also wipe the seats down with Vinyl Sauce after each use and a couple of times each season will use the Conditioning Sauce. I love the products and they all work great.

I store mine on a lift as well. I don't do hot sauce after every outing on the weekend. Typically if we go out Friday, Sat, and Sun, I will just wipe the boat with a beach towel on Fri. and Sat. and then do the hot sauce on Sunday before going home. I really don't think you need to use the hot sauce after every outing.

I do mine at least twice a year, once in the Spring and again in the Fall before storage. This is my routine, which takes scratches out too. If you dont have scratches that skip the rubbing compound step
............... Its not cheap (especially if you get the 3m polishing and compounding pads) but worth it in my opinion.
EXCELLENT advice @RobA ! All of it. Really great stuff you wrote ! Thanks ! - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

I must be 12, I thought this thread was about something else! :smuggrin:

Like others... I use hot sauce when I pull the boat out of the water. Then I wax a few times a year. Do yourself a favor and get 2 buffers and have someone help you when doing a wax job. Wax on Wax off is easy for the karate kid on a car... it's a pain in the ass for a boat.

I wax inside and out at the beginning of the season and again at the end. Pain in the ass to be on your back doing the underneath, but it's gotta be done.
And Like others - I use Hot Sauce after every use, even if going out the next day.

Last edited:
06 used in saltwater cleaned and polished with standard car polish every time i use it, No marks.

IMG_2645.JPG

I wash mine almost weekly during the season, black boats are a terrible idea at my house, when we mow its a ton of dust and I wax when needed and just recently bought a boat bling pack to try out so well see if it lives up to its hype, next boat will have 0 black on it going white and metallic purple

The guy I bought the boat from apparently used and abused it and left the waxing to me. I basically throw the wax on there so it doesn't continue to fade, but it's long gone from it's true bright red. It's kinda said really. I hope to repaint it someday. Actually, I'd love to learn to airbrush and do something cool in the winter, but I have some big things ahead of that!

I have always applied wax or wax/cleaner by hand, and then remove with buffer. For removal I 1st use a compounding pad, then follow up and finish with micro fiber pad to enhance the shine. Getting the dried wax off is the hard part.
If I have any deeps scratches I will use some buff magic before I start.

Back