• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Done with Yamaha.

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I’m stuck with the boat but I wouldn’t really recommend the Yamaha. I’ve had a ton of warranty claims in two years. I like the boat a lot but a lot of small issues from small to large. It’s unfortunate because there isn’t much competition in this segment.
I agree with this. Our SX192 seemed like it should have been the ideal upgrade from our SeaDoo Speedster. The Yamaha boat has been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The SeaDoo was very reliable.

Fortunately, the major repairs were covered by warranty but that is over and I always wonder what is going to be the next big thing to fail. Parts are expensive and I am reliant on the dealer for diagnostics and repair.

I had to get a new engine due to the timing chain failure. That was four months of downtime. The throttle body failed and had to be replaced. Most of the steering components failed and were replaced. Last year was trouble free but the boat didn't seem to like running at high RPM so I babied it. This spring, I found out why when the supercharger clutch failed.

I am hoping to make it through next year without any failures, I will probably trade it for something with a better track record and more options for diagnostics and repair. As I have started shopping for the next boat, the dealers are discouraging me from bringing the Yamaha as a trade.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I agree with this. Our SX192 seemed like it should have been the ideal upgrade from our SeaDoo Speedster. The Yamaha boat has been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The SeaDoo was very reliable.

Fortunately, the major repairs were covered by warranty but that is over and I always wonder what is going to be the next big thing to fail. Parts are expensive and I am reliant on the dealer for diagnostics and repair.

I had to get a new engine due to the timing chain failure. That was four months of downtime. The throttle body failed and had to be replaced. Most of the steering components failed and were replaced. Last year was trouble free but the boat didn't seem to like running at high RPM so I babied it. This spring, I found out why when the supercharger clutch failed.

I am hoping to make it through next year without any failures, I will probably trade it for something with a better track record and more options for diagnostics and repair. As I have started shopping for the next boat, the dealers are discouraging me from bringing the Yamaha as a trade.
Wow, sorry to hear about the issues you've been facing. If I had that experience, I would likely be terrified to buy another boat. That said, I traded my AR192 for my current boat. I would never trade a boat in again, because It gives the dealer all of the negotiating power. Not only are you trying to get rid of your headache, but you've found something you want even more. It makes it much more difficult to recognize a bad deal, much less get up and walk away.

I took a good loss on what I got for my last boat, but they will try to convince you that you're paying sticker (plus shipping, etc.) for the new one and getting a high trade in price. When I finally cut through the BS, they were just moving numbers to make me feel better about my trade which inadvertently was driving me away from purchasing my current boat (purchased as a new, year old model).

My advice, sell your boat yourself. Once you get what you want for it, walk into a dealership and start negotiating. You may have to walk away from the table a time or two, but my experience is that they won't let a thousand dollars stand between you and what they want to sell you.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I took a good loss on what I got for my last boat, but they will try to convince you that you're paying sticker (plus shipping, etc.) for the new one and getting a high trade in price. When I finally cut through the BS, they were just moving numbers to make me feel better about my trade which inadvertently was driving me away from purchasing my current boat (purchased as a new, year old model).
Did they get out the four square?99E3141D-9492-479C-9BF4-D0A14BF624CB.jpeg

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@the MfM, Haha, no I actually negotiated over phone and email as I was overseas at the time and my dealer was storing my last boat.

Consequently, I am the inverse when it comes to negotiating vehicles. I do enjoy trading when buying a new truck because it gives me more room to push numbers into my favor. Plus, used trucks carry value much better than boats. When year end models go up for sale, manufacturers will make huge mark downs (like $10K) on their trucks and you can upgrade for next to nothing. All the while, your last truck has maintained a steadily declining value. Believe it or not, I have purchased a new truck that was worth more used (right after purchase) than I paid for it new.

Yes, I am the guy that loves car buying and negotiating for hours.