• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Don't you love Tag-A-Long?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, I know what you mean about docking. I am almost 2 years with this (my first boat ever) and I am only just now able to say that I am fairly solid on the docking part. And I don't have fins, either.

There is a video I found very helpful. I will have to try to dig it up, but pretty sure it should be on here somewhere. Basically it teaches that you approach the dock at a 45 deg angle. When you get "close" (which is the operative part), cut the wheel toward the dock and put it in reverse. That slows forward progress and swings the aft toward the dock. Results in perfect parallel parking.

Now that you got that, the more important part is to take your time and relax. No sin in taking a second run at it. Always have an exit plan for if you miss. As long as you are not rushed, not afraid to push the throttle a little for a second and then back (remember--jets at slow speed do very little, but a short burst can alter your course nicely), you will get the hang of it quickly.

Good luck and remember we are all here to help!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Found it!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tdonoughue Thanks...I have watched that one before.

I just have not been able to get myself to come in on that angle for fear of crushing the dock. I come in slightly under and reverse thrust turning towards the dock. I have not been able to get close enough for someone to jump out so I have had to inch it back and forth. The video makes it look so easy though!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, he is disgustingly good at it. And I am never cruising anywhere near a dock or marina at the speeds he is.

But I did get brave and tried that nose in thing. It worked perfectly. And, of course, I happened to have a boat full of guys aboard that time for a guys weekend at the lake... Score!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha...showoff! lol

Maybe I will get nerve to try it next weekend.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You can alter the 45 degree approach a tad and make it 30 degrees or even closer to 90 degrees, and just pivot in and out of forward and reverse to turn the boat just prior to the dock, then use the technique in the video. It is an excellent "under control" maneuver. But like @tdonoughue says, you have to know the boat a bit and trust that forward movement will slow or stop when you turn toward the dock with throttles in reverse idle. Keep in mind that you don't have to have the throttles in forward idle for the entire approach to the dock. You can be in and out of forward idle, which will cut your closure rate in half. But the speed helps with the pivot to parallel. Also, put out a bow fender, a midship cleat fender, and a fender on the aft cockpit grab rail, and practice this maneuver, it will become second nature pretty quick. If you have wind across your approach, this is harder of course. It is one of those things that you have to game then. If you go into the wind, it can stop you short and blow you out before you can reach for the dock. If you go with the wind, it will continue to push you toward the dock after you turn parallel. So you have to leave room for the wind. An upwind approach means leaving maybe 2 or 3 feet between being parallel and the dock, and a downwind approach means you have to almost hit the dock before you turn parallel. Don't have the bimini open when you do this! It is a big sail and catches a bunch of wind and will mess with you! After you do this a few times, your going to love this approach. Glad @tdon found the video for you, don't you hate that guy though...(he had absolute perfect conditions:rolleyes:)

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah...tell me about it Mel. I watched that video a few times before I even got the boat. I said to myself this will be a piece of cake. Yeah right, until I got out there and tried it. I will take your advice and load up on some fenders and try it..maybe this weekend. I know that is one area I really need to work on. Everything else is coming along fine. Thanks to everyone's tips on this site. :)

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the boat and the new adventures that await you.

Don't Blink! :cool:

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Glassman

I plan to make every second count. As some of you have known I have had an interest in these boats for some time. For awhile it just wasn't the right time to buy but I kept learning. Then when the time was right it was about finding the boat. I was going to hold off again this year and try to pick one up in the fall, when prices come down a bit. Then it dawned on me that my oldest daughter would be starting 5th grade this summer. So I felt like I had to pull the trigger now, even if it cost me a little more. In the near future my girls might not want to have anything to do with me or want to be seen with me. My wife and I need to cherish these moments now.

Because you are correct when you say...Don't Blink...because it passes so quickly.

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
YOU will love that boat. It is the exact year and model I have and I honestly think that pound for pound it is the best year and model Yamaha has put out!
I totally agree. I would be hard pressed to trade mine for a different year or model. After 7 years I still get compliments on her. Knock on wood, I have never had an issue I didn't cause myself except for the crappy trim around the storage compartment doors and I'm going to finally fix that this year. I do the parallel parking maneuver sliding it right between other boats. The fins really help with both steering and confidence. If you are just picking up or dropping off. You can just approach the dock perpendicular then cut the wheel and as the boat starts to parallel just slide into reverse. The passengers can then step directly on or off the swim deck. I do so love these boats.:winkingthumbsup"

Non jetboaters are amazed at the maneuverability. You will be hooked for life and shall never return to a prop.

Oh and don't worry about your girls not wanting to have anything to do with you or want to be seen with you. My 24 yo still brings his friends and girlfriend out when he is home from school.
Welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Finally have some time to welcome some of our newest members!
Welcome.jpg

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Welcome! This forum is 10x better than any dealer for technical support. We've got ya covered :)

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks fellas! I can't tell you how many times this site and the other has helped me out. 1st in my search and now in my ownership.

@tdonoughue and @txav8r I tried out the 45 degree approach this past weekend and it worked pretty well. I had to move in and out of fwd and rev a few times, but going against the current it went pretty well. I didn't slam the dock at least...:D