• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drain Plug Light Install - How To (with photos!)

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey all, so the whole reason I discovered this forum is because I was researching underwater lights for my 2013 AR190 and I came across a thread on here similar to what I was looking to install. However, I could not really find a step by step guide of how to install them and wire them, so here you go. I hope this helps whoever might be considering doing this to their boat. And best of all, this entire install only cost me roughly $140!!!!

First off, I decided to wire my lights into my stern light wiring for a few reasons. One, I wanted to use an existing rocker switch that was at my dash already. Two, I am not an electrical expert, so splicing into the stern light wiring avoided me having to wire my own switch off the battery, as well as inline fuses (because the nav/stern light rocker switch has its own breaker below it).

So here we go!

Step 1 - Install the adapter and the lights into the drain
So first, I had to purchase my lights, I went with the 1200 lumen typhon (figured I can always upgrade to bigger brighter lights later on if these arent good enough). Purchased two of them since my boat has two drain plugs.

THE TYPHON

1a.jpg

I also had to purchase a compatible adapter, because the lights are 1/2" NPT threads, which my yamaha drain plugs are not, so therefore I had to buy this adapter. For this adapter you use the same o-ring that is on our drain plugs now. Simply remove it and put on the adapter (see photo). Cool thing with this adapter is it allows the water to drain out of the hull when the boat is out of the water, all you have to do is unscrew the light from the adapter (leaving the adapter screwed into the drain).

DRAIN PLUG ADAPTER FOR PLASTIC DRAINS

2a.jpg

I had some trouble with this adapter screwing into the drain, the threads did not line up perfectly, but eventually I got them in securely.
Once I got the adapter screwed in, it was time to feed the wire of the led light through the adapter and into the boat, and then screw the light into the adapter.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Here is what they look like both installed into the drains. Pretty flush and nice looking install. Does not protrude out very far, and more importantly is not below the hull as to interfere with the water flowing under the hull at fast speeds.

3.jpg

Step 2 - Connect the wires of the led lights to the led driver
A led driver is included for each led light you purchase. Coming out of the driver it has one long wire, and one short wire coming out of it. It looks like this:

cube.jpg

Included in your order will be a directions paper that leads you to this youtube video to show you how to wire the lights to the driver using the gel connectors that come with your order (this is very simple)

Make sure you watch this video to understand the rest of this post.

So I took the wire from the led lights (the wire is about 3-4 ft) and ran that wire up and through the transom and into the engine compartment using the holes that are already there:

4.jpg

To understand this next step, make sure you watched the youtube video above so you know about the short wire and long wire of the led driver

From there, I took the led drivers, and put them inside my starboard side rear seat compartment.
6.jpg

Then I took the short wires of the drivers and ran them through the open space and into the engine compartment to meet with the wires of the led lights. Then I spliced the positive and negative wires of the led lights to the short positive and negative wires of the drivers inside of the engine compartment using the waterproof gel connectors that you saw in the youtube video above. I then wrapped them in electric tape to secure them a bit better, as well as to do my best to make sure no moisture can get in at all what so ever.

5.jpg

Step 3 - Wire the long wire of the led driver to your power source
So this is where you have the option to wire the long wire of the driver either to your battery directly, or to another power source such as your stern light wiring. I went with the stern light wiring as I mentioned in the beginning of this post. I wanted to be able to control the underwater lights from my existing rocker switch up at the dash.

To do so, I used Posi Products Posi Taps (thanks for telling me about these @marcham , they worked amazing!) in order to splice into the stern light wires.

x669PP607-f.jpeg

I purchased them from ebay, but here is a different link to buy from:
Posi-Products™ Wire Connectors 6 tap connectors for 10- to 22-gauge wires tap into wires without cutting them at Crutchfield
Theres a video on this site of how the wire taps work. So simple. Only negative thing is these taps are not waterproof. To help in that regard, I stuffed dielectric grease into the taps to try to waterproof them myself.

From here, I twisted the two positive long wires coming from the drivers together, as well as twisted the long negative wires together coming from the driver together. From there, I used the posi taps to splice the positive wires to the positive stern light wire, as well as splice the negative wires from the driver to the negative wire of the stern light. By looking at the next few photos, you can see the wiring inside the boat is very clearly labeled which is positive and which is negative for the stern light wires. Black is the ground, and the grey/blue is the positive. (least for my boat it is, your boat may be different, but I believe it should be labeled as well if you also own a yamaha)

7.jpg 20200509_162444.jpg
8.jpg

And that is it, you are done! Such a simple install! And all of this for roughly $140!!!

Now my bow lights, stern light, and underwater lights are all on the same rocker switch up at my dash. Not sure how your boats are, but my boat has a dual rocker switch for my lights. I push the switch up, it illuminates my bow lights and my stern light (also will now illuminate my underwater lights due to them being wired into my stern light wires). If I push the switch down, it illuminates my stern light (as well as my under water lights). I like this option because now if I am out at the dock at night, all I have to do is remove my stern light, and put my rocker switch down, and just my underwater lights will go on.

Here is what one of the lights illuminated during the day looks like. Pretty bright I think. Ill add photos to this thread after my first night out on the water! Hopefully soon, the weather has sucked recently! Temps in the 30s and 40s today here in NYC with snow showers!!! WTFFFF lol

Note: these lights have to be submerged to stay cool, so you can not leave these lights on for very long when the boat is not in the water!!!

10.jpg

Lastly, I learned a lot about this stuff and what to buy from reading all 11 pages of this older thread, so thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread!
https://jetboaters.net/threads/drain-plug-led-diablo-royal.7833/

Cheers!

UPDATE 5/22/20
I decided to remove the shitty plastic drain plugs and replace with stainless steel 1/2" NPT drain plugs. Reason behind the change was the boatpluglight adapter for my drain plugs did not thread in nicely each time, and it shredded the shit out of my drains. Take a look, first picture you can see a good drain, the second one was a bad shredded drain after installing the adapters they sell. Not good, I was worried for leaks.

1.jpg 2.jpg

So I replaced with the following:

3.jpg

Had to drill just two new holes, as I used one of the preexisting holes that was already there from the previous drain. Used some 5200 sealant on the plug, as well as on the inside of the transom. Definitely wont be any leaks!

Also, this new plug now means I no longer need the adapters that I was previously using. The plug lights are 1/2" NPT, so they thread right into these plugs! Makes for a much cleaner looking install!

If your interested in these drain plugs, I bought them from Amazon.

UPDATE 6/21/20
Finally made it out after sunset for the first time since installing the lights. They look great! So happy with the outcome. While they aren't the brightest I've ever seen, for just over $100 I couldn't be happier!

20200621_205331.jpg

IMG_20200620_103314.jpg

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice write up.

FYI - I’m giving away one of these drain plug lights without the adapter (the next owner just has to cover shipping), new/ never installed but nobody has responded to my post about the same.

Attachments

ATXScarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Awesome write-up. i just bought two if the acme 2 lights for my scarab 195 open and will be installing them as soon as they are back in stock and ship. i am hoping to route them to the open accessory switches my dash but tapping into the nav lights is another solid option. and the tip on the posi=taps is great.

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update: I decided to remove the shitty plastic drain plugs and replace with stainless steel 1/2" NPT drain plugs. Reason behind the change was the boatpluglight adapter for my drain plugs did not thread in nicely each time, and it shredded the shit out of my drains. Take a look, first picture you can see a good drain, the second one was a bad shredded drain after installing the adapters they sell. Not good, I was worried for leaks.

20200519_182847.jpg 20200519_183019.jpg

20200522_161554.jpg

Had to drill just two new holes, as I used one of the preexisting holes that was already there from the previous drain. Used some 5200 sealant on the plug, as well as on the inside of the transom. Definitely wont be any leaks!

Also, this new plug now means I no longer need the adapters that I was previously using. The plug lights are 1/2" NPT, so they thread right into these plugs! Makes for a much cleaner looking install!

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally was out after sunset for the first time since installing the lights, they look great!

Note, the clarity of this water is about 5 ft visibility if that. Very murky brackish water where I was when I took this photo.

20200621_205331.jpg

Outnumbered212S

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Anyone come up with something for the newer 2017+ drain plugs? I have a 2020 212s that I would like to light up without drilling into the transom. Does that void the warranty?

Attachments

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone come up with something for the newer 2017+ drain plugs? I have a 2020 212s that I would like to light up without drilling into the transom. Does that void the warranty?
looks like they make an adapter and looks like it will clear the rudder

Cdkjht1010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed two of these lights, used the new adapter for newer jet boats. Easy to install works great didn’t get pics in the water of my 2020 AR195, will add next trip..

Attachments

Cdkjht1010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed two of these lights, used the new adapter for newer jet boats. Easy to install works great.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hey all, so the whole reason I discovered this forum is because I was researching underwater lights for my 2013 AR190 and I came across a thread on here similar to what I was looking to install. However, I could not really find a step by step guide of how to install them and wire them, so here you go. I hope this helps whoever might be considering doing this to their boat. And best of all, this entire install only cost me roughly $140!!!!

First off, I decided to wire my lights into my stern light wiring for a few reasons. One, I wanted to use an existing rocker switch that was at my dash already. Two, I am not an electrical expert, so splicing into the stern light wiring avoided me having to wire my own switch off the battery, as well as inline fuses (because the nav/stern light rocker switch has its own breaker below it).

So here we go!

Step 1 - Install the adapter and the lights into the drain
So first, I had to purchase my lights, I went with the 1200 lumen typhon (figured I can always upgrade to bigger brighter lights later on if these arent good enough). Purchased two of them since my boat has two drain plugs.

THE TYPHON

View attachment 118363

I also had to purchase a compatible adapter, because the lights are 1/2" NPT threads, which my yamaha drain plugs are not, so therefore I had to buy this adapter. For this adapter you use the same o-ring that is on our drain plugs now. Simply remove it and put on the adapter (see photo). Cool thing with this adapter is it allows the water to drain out of the hull when the boat is out of the water, all you have to do is unscrew the light from the adapter (leaving the adapter screwed into the drain).

DRAIN PLUG ADAPTER FOR PLASTIC DRAINS

View attachment 118364

I had some trouble with this adapter screwing into the drain, the threads did not line up perfectly, but eventually I got them in securely.
Once I got the adapter screwed in, it was time to feed the wire of the led light through the adapter and into the boat, and then screw the light into the adapter.

View attachment 118362 View attachment 118365

Here is what they look like both installed into the drains. Pretty flush and nice looking install. Does not protrude out very far, and more importantly is not below the hull as to interfere with the water flowing under the hull at fast speeds.

View attachment 118366

Step 2 - Connect the wires of the led lights to the led driver
A led driver is included for each led light you purchase. Coming out of the driver it has one long wire, and one short wire coming out of it. It looks like this:

View attachment 118367

Included in your order will be a directions paper that leads you to this youtube video to show you how to wire the lights to the driver using the gel connectors that come with your order (this is very simple)

Make sure you watch this video to understand the rest of this post.

So I took the wire from the led lights (the wire is about 3-4 ft) and ran that wire up and through the transom and into the engine compartment using the holes that are already there:

View attachment 118368

To understand this next step, make sure you watched the youtube video above so you know about the short wire and long wire of the led driver

From there, I took the led drivers, and put them inside my starboard side rear seat compartment.
View attachment 118371

Then I took the short wires of the drivers and ran them through the open space and into the engine compartment to meet with the wires of the led lights. Then I spliced the positive and negative wires of the led lights to the short positive and negative wires of the drivers inside of the engine compartment using the waterproof gel connectors that you saw in the youtube video above. I then wrapped them in electric tape to secure them a bit better, as well as to do my best to make sure no moisture can get in at all what so ever.

View attachment 118369

Step 3 - Wire the long wire of the led driver to your power source
So this is where you have the option to wire the long wire of the driver either to your battery directly, or to another power source such as your stern light wiring. I went with the stern light wiring as I mentioned in the beginning of this post. I wanted to be able to control the underwater lights from my existing rocker switch up at the dash.

To do so, I used Posi Products Posi Taps (thanks for telling me about these @marcham , they worked amazing!) in order to splice into the stern light wires.

View attachment 118370

I purchased them from ebay, but here is a different link to buy from:
Posi-Products™ Wire Connectors 6 tap connectors for 10- to 22-gauge wires tap into wires without cutting them at Crutchfield
Theres a video on this site of how the wire taps work. So simple. Only negative thing is these taps are not waterproof. To help in that regard, I stuffed dielectric grease into the taps to try to waterproof them myself.

From here, I twisted the two positive long wires coming from the drivers together, as well as twisted the long negative wires together coming from the driver together. From there, I used the posi taps to splice the positive wires to the positive stern light wire, as well as splice the negative wires from the driver to the negative wire of the stern light. By looking at the next few photos, you can see the wiring inside the boat is very clearly labeled which is positive and which is negative for the stern light wires. Black is the ground, and the grey/blue is the positive. (least for my boat it is, your boat may be different, but I believe it should be labeled as well if you also own a yamaha)

View attachment 118373 View attachment 118372
View attachment 118374

And that is it, you are done! Such a simple install! And all of this for roughly $140!!!

Now my bow lights, stern light, and underwater lights are all on the same rocker switch up at my dash. Not sure how your boats are, but my boat has a dual rocker switch for my lights. I push the switch up, it illuminates my bow lights and my stern light (also will now illuminate my underwater lights due to them being wired into my stern light wires). If I push the switch down, it illuminates my stern light (as well as my under water lights). I like this option because now if I am out at the dock at night, all I have to do is remove my stern light, and put my rocker switch down, and just my underwater lights will go on.

Here is what one of the lights illuminated during the day looks like. Pretty bright I think. Ill add photos to this thread after my first night out on the water! Hopefully soon, the weather has sucked recently! Temps in the 30s and 40s today here in NYC with snow showers!!! WTFFFF lol

Note: these lights have to be submerged to stay cool, so you can not leave these lights on for very long when the boat is not in the water!!!

View attachment 118375

Lastly, I learned a lot about this stuff and what to buy from reading all 11 pages of this older thread, so thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread!
https://jetboaters.net/threads/drain-plug-led-diablo-royal.7833/

Cheers!

UPDATE 5/22/20
I decided to remove the shitty plastic drain plugs and replace with stainless steel 1/2" NPT drain plugs. Reason behind the change was the boatpluglight adapter for my drain plugs did not thread in nicely each time, and it shredded the shit out of my drains. Take a look, first picture you can see a good drain, the second one was a bad shredded drain after installing the adapters they sell. Not good, I was worried for leaks.

View attachment 123150 View attachment 123151

View attachment 123152

UPDATE 6/21/20
Finally made it out after sunset for the first time since installing the lights. They look great! So happy with the outcome. While they aren't the brightest I've ever seen, for just over $100 I couldn't be happier!

View attachment 123533

View attachment 123534
Finally was out after sunset for the first time since installing the lights, they look great!

Note, the clarity of this water is about 5 ft visibility if that. Very murky brackish water where I was when I took this photo.

View attachment 123532
@kennetht .....awesome install and super step by step tutorial - Top Shelf!

ATXScarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has anyone installed these lights and wired them to an aux dash switch?

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone installed these lights and wired them to an aux dash switch?
Mine are wired to the nav/stern light aux dash switch. Or are you talking about installing a new dash switch just for the lights?

ATXScarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine are wired to the nav/stern light aux dash switch. Or are you talking about installing a new dash switch just for the lights?
i have two hot auxiliary switches on my dash that are not hooked up to anything. i would like to wire them there so that they are not always running when i turn on my nav lights. my anchor light is up on my tower also so the stern light wiring doesn't come all the way back to the transom

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i have two hot auxiliary switches on my dash that are not hooked up to anything. i would like to wire them there so that they are not always running when i turn on my nav lights. my anchor light is up on my tower also so the stern light wiring doesn't come all the way back to the transom
Gotcha. You should be able to wire them directly to one of your switches then. You'll just have to purchase new wire long enough to reach your helm.