• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drone Fisherman

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i think people knocking these things out of the sky will become more and more common... Some people just dont want to be filmed. haha.

I just read an article about people flying drones over/into emergency response scenes interfering with first responders, etc...

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you think about the wind and distance, I was impressed that he was able to hook it!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
At first it looked like an impressive cast but the quad copter was a big one as seen at the end of the video and it wasn't that far from the pier if it had a gopro camera on it. All the caster had to do was get the line over the copter to tangle it up. At the very least the guy is guilty of wrongfully damaging someone else's property / vandalism. He couldn't justify doing that if the camera was on some ones head or mounted to a pole, car, etc. I'd be looking for instant justice, it would be ashamed but just an inconvenience if all his tires were deflated. If the line caused the copter to crash I'd be looking for compensation if it was mine. That's over $1,000 in damage maybe a lot more. If you can recover it at all from the water. Cameras are everywhere not just on drones/rc models, if you are out in public you are subject to being filmed.

There was a fire here in nor cal a few weeks ago and two drones delayed air drops of fire retardant. The first operator was identified and warned. The second was never found. Both idiots as far as I'm concerned that make all recreational drone users/rc pilots look bad.

Last edited:

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie; you're probably right about the distance, the wide angle of a gopro would definitely make it look farther than it is; but then again you've never witnessed my (lack of) casting skills! :(

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What a loser...bet you could find him in a trailer park near by with a Natty Ice in one hand and a cowboy killer hanging off of his lip.

hoppersteven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the other thread everyone keeps saying you don't know the whole story and you weren't there so you can't pass judgment. I believe the same is true for this video, what if the guy flying it was being a asshole? What if he was buzzing people and flying in the crowd? He did seem to be focusing in on that guy and everyone said he is probably closer then he looks. Could have deserved to have that thing sunk

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reminds me of a story years ago where a pilot of an airplane called the FAA to report that a surfer had struck his airplane with a surfboard. Later it was discovered that the pilot had buzzed the lineup several times and that I guess one surfer did shoot his board at the plane and struck it. I'm pretty sure the pilot had more explaining to do than the surfer. So I agree with @hoppersteven. Who knows what actually happened there.

@Ronnie, like you, I'm an older rc flyer from years ago. When I was learning, rule #1 was to never fly over anybody's head. Now a days, anybody can order a drone and think that they know how to "fly" it. But it practically flies itself (as compared to the old days). So every idiot out there thinks that they know what they're doing. At least until something goes wrong and the rc goes out of control. Like you pointed out, some of these guys are putting their drones up into firework shows, brush fires, etc. IMHO, it's just a matter of time before they end up in airplane engines, causing freeway accidents, etc. Like everything else in California, they've drawn the ire of public safety officials, so I'm sure there are huge regulations coming down the pipe for drone (and probably all rc fliers now too).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
i don't speak to hypotheticals, only what i see. Maybe the drone owner had it coming to him but that is another issue and I'm sure there is no self help law that would allow the fisherman to intentionally damage someone else's property like he did. If there was I suspect that the police or fireman in the brush fire I referenced would not hesitate to simply blow the quad copters interfering with them out of the sky with their guns or water hoses. It would have been a lot quicker than trying to locate the operators and demand that they land their models.

I know about the thread referenced and, knowing more of the back story than I can disclose, I have intentionally stopped posting to that thread. I will say from what I do know all of the speculation that I've read about it is incorrect.

I digress. For the drone story I dont think the fisherman did the right thing. Other than recover the drone and remove the fishing line I don't know what if anything the drone operator did. Why he didn't post any before or after footage is questionable.

This is a touchy subject for me because a few months ago I was running with my wife and had a gopro on my chest. A guy walking the opposite direction stopped me and asked me several times in a loud voice if I was recording to which I replied yes. He went on to object to me filming and I said tough, we were in a public marina and he would have just been another anonymous face in the crowd if he didn't stop me. He barked a few racial comments out before he started to walk on. I'm happy that nothing came of it but had he reached for my gopro we would have exchanged more than words that day.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And here's how an eagle would take down a drone!
Omg! That's awesome and probably what will happen to me when I take the plunge!