• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DVSR help...

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Damnit. I wish I knew this before doing this mod. I guess I can just keep the house master on to charge via solar right? And off to use the battery charger?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Damnit. I wish I knew this before doing this mod. I guess I can just keep the house master on to charge via solar right? And off to use the battery charger?
I would think that’s right. I’m not sure how powerful those solar chargers are or how regularly people use them as the main recharge source.
I think it’s still better for the batteries to have your smart charger doing it’s thing the way it’s designed.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
All internal charging (from the engine or the solar panel) is done only to the Start battery. You need the DVSR active in order to bridge the Start and House batteries in order for the House battery to charge. With the red wire mod the DVSR is only active when the red wire is hot.

If the DVSR is off, only the Start battery will be charged by the engine or solar panel.

My question is, if you have a dual-bank charger, why would you need the solar panel when the boat is not running?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All internal charging (from the engine or the solar panel) is done only to the Start battery. You need the DVSR active in order to bridge the Start and House batteries in order for the House battery to charge. With the red wire mod the DVSR is only active when the red wire is hot.

If the DVSR is off, only the Start battery will be charged by the engine or solar panel.

My question is, if you have a dual-bank charger, why would you need the solar panel when the boat is not running?
As it comes setup from the factory, the DVSR would be active if the solar panel was generating sufficient charging voltage and it would charge your house battery too.
If you have the DVSR red wire hooked to something that stays on even when your engines are off (like one of the battery switches) you’ve got the same effect.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never messed with this mod and I have the same factory interstate batteries being charged/maintained by my duel bank promarine charger for 3 years now on my 2017 Yamaha ar240. I've also been running a large stereo system since new. My boat is plugged in 24/7 365. I never turn on 1 battery switch either. Any time I need batteries (starting or just messing around in the driveway) both switches are turned on.

Grogfather

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think I have a way to make this more automatic, regardless of having solar. Snipping the red lead disables the DVSR, so my thought is to take a 12V relay and put the leads on the normally closed side, essentially keeping it as from the factory. Then, power the relay by the charger so that when you plug it in, the DVSR red lead is electrically "cut". My ProMariner will be here today, and if I have time tomorrow morning to get it installed will report back.

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think I have a way to make this more automatic, regardless of having solar. Snipping the red lead disables the DVSR, so my thought is to take a 12V relay and put the leads on the normally closed side, essentially keeping it as from the factory. Then, power the relay by the charger so that when you plug it in, the DVSR red lead is electrically "cut". My ProMariner will be here today, and if I have time tomorrow morning to get it installed will report back.
You had me at automatic...following.

Grogfather

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, plan A didn't work, but I figured out a other option. Going to require a little wiring, but nothing too complicated. Should be able to solder up the pieces tonight and give it a try. If it works I'll post the schematic here.

Grogfather

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Off we go to plan C, the ProMariner is smarter than I thought and could tell I had inserted something inline on one of the leads (12v relays). Scrapped that idea and applying the K.I.S.S principle: magnetic reed switch under the seat so when it's open the DVSR is disabled. Not as automatic as I wanted, but I know will work and is stone simple. Once my parts arrive from Amazon, get them installed, I'll post back here with results/links.

blthlt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Sounds like all you need to do its put the DVSR's red wire on a switched 12v lead, whether from the ignition or just a toggle and when the ignition is off or the toggle is off the DVSR will not activate, keeping both batteries separate so you can charge with a dual bank charger. The ignition switch seems to be the most K.I.S.S and automatic way to me.

Grogfather

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Got it working. Difference with the e series is the key is always on, so doing it that way wouldn't have worked. Reed switch works perfectly, breaking the red wire when the seat is open so my charger sees each battery individually. I tried the shortcut way first, just breaking the ground wire from the DVSR, but somehow it was still clicking on as the charger voltage went up.

Anyway, all good now. With the seat closed everything is stock, solar panel works and DVSR comes on with stator voltage. Lid open, it's disabled and the smart charger isn't dumbed down.

Vinny Dip

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
I wouldn’t ask if I hadn’t searched all over. I can not find the tutorial with pictures for modifying the DVSR when adding a 2 bank charger. I just noticed that the red light on the DVSR was on during and after charging while the switches were off. Could someone post the link or pics or instructions for the mod? Summer is almost here!
Ok I have read all the responses. Let’s say you are using a NOCO 2 bank charger. When you hook up the leads from NOCO charger they are going directly to each individual battery. The DSRV has no way of interrupting or stopping or hindering any charge from NOCO. The NOCO system is independent of the boat charging system and from the solar charge panel if boat equipped. You do not have to clip any wires or anything. Just hook it up Like normal. I have seen the electrical schematic of the 252SE that’s my boat because I was curious. Hope this helps. For any of you who are saying that you have one battery not being charged. I would assume your not wiring charger directly to battery and either going thru battery switches or wiring charger in before DSRV. That’s the only way it will Not let the charger work properly.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok I have read all the responses. Let’s say you are using a NOCO 2 bank charger. When you hook up the leads from NOCO charger they are going directly to each individual battery. The DSRV has no way of interrupting or stopping or hindering any charge from NOCO. The NOCO system is independent of the boat charging system and from the solar charge panel if boat equipped. You do not have to clip any wires or anything. Just hook it up Like normal. I have seen the electrical schematic of the 252SE that’s my boat because I was curious. Hope this helps. For any of you who are saying that you have one battery not being charged. I would assume your not wiring charger directly to battery and either going thru battery switches or wiring charger in before DSRV. That’s the only way it will Not let the charger work properly.
The concern is not that one battery won’t be charged. It is that these smart chargers at least theoretically charge and maintain the batteries at different rates based on each battery’s condition. If they are directly linked by the DVSR then they both always get the same voltage and therefore lose the benefit of the smart charger.
I think it’s a valid concern as one battery is often a deep cycle or hybrid house battery and the other is used primarily just for starting.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Another item to keep an eye on for boats that have the solar charger and the batteries are not charging check the fuse for the solar panel . I was checking the voltage from the solar panel and when in direct sunlight it supplies a decent amount of power, probing the plug by the tower it was reading almost 18v and had enough power to run a small water pump . Checking the battery terminals I had no voltage from the solar panel and read about the fuse possibly being blown, mine was . The battery cables are always receiving power from the solar panels and if anyone pulls the batteries on a sunny day and the positive and negative wires touch it will pop the fuse not allowing any charge voltage to reach the batteries.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The concern is not that one battery won’t be charged. It is that these smart chargers at least theoretically charge and maintain the batteries at different rates based on each battery’s condition. If they are directly linked by the DVSR then they both always get the same voltage and therefore lose the benefit of the smart charger.
I think it’s a valid concern as one battery is often a deep cycle or hybrid house battery and the other is used primarily just for starting.
Mark is correct. If you leave the DVSR enabled, you are not getting the benefit of the 2-bank charger. You might as well just use a single charger as the DVSR bridges the batteries and creates one "big" battery.

Bottom line, if you care enough to invest in a 2-bank charger, you need to do the last step of modifying the DVSR in your chosen way. Red wire to ignition (hands-free but your solar panel will not charge the house battery if the ignition is off) or manual switch on the black/ground wire (switch it on/closed when you turn on the battery switches for the day; turn it off/open when you switch the batteries off and plug in your 2-bank charger at the end of the day).

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mark is correct. If you leave the DVSR enabled, you are not getting the benefit of the 2-bank charger. You might as well just use a single charger as the DVSR bridges the batteries and creates one "big" battery.

Bottom line, if you care enough to invest in a 2-bank charger, you need to do the last step of modifying the DVSR in your chosen way. Red wire to ignition (hands-free but your solar panel will not charge the house battery if the ignition is off) or manual switch on the black/ground wire (switch it on/closed when you turn on the battery switches for the day; turn it off/open when you switch the batteries off and plug in your 2-bank charger at the end of the day).
I simply detach the ground after every outing. Too lazy for a switch. Ha!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I simply detach the ground after every outing. Too lazy for a switch. Ha!
Hooking that red wire to one of the existing battery switches as I did earlier in this thread is the easiest way I found and I’ll never forget to do it that way.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

I'm assuming you're the guy on fb that I gave these directions to? I know you said you called NOCO and Yamaha and they told you otherwise. But we have experience and the instructions I gave you for the mods are correct. Your two bank charger will work but you will not be charging them independently due to the DVSR.

FredB32

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread, but I'm pretty sure this is incorrect - the DVSR (from what I have read) is literally there to allow you to charge multiple batteries as one. Yes, a multi-bank charger will charge multiple batteries with the DVSR "on"...but only using one bank, because the DVSR makes it look like multiple batteries = a single battery, not multiples. You are correct in that both/all batteries are being charged, just not independently - downstream batteries will be charged AFTER the upstream batteries are full, since electrically, the DVSR is basically turning multiple batteries into a bigger "pool", if that makes sense to you.

i.e. you don't have: Battery 1 @ 100 aH - Battery 2 @ 100 aH - Battery 3 @ 100aH

You DO have: Big Battery 1 @ 300 aH (which is the combined capacity of the 3 batteries to fill, thanks to the DVSR), and it essentially fills that pool, which extends the recharge timing since you'd be using a single bank instead of the 2/3 potential from the charger