• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ecoboost owners... We making a mistake?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Love my 2017 3.5 EB. I bought it at 40k miles I now have 70k on it. I have the extended warranty with it being a CPO for 84 months and 100k miles. I plan to get another one when my warranty is up in 2025. Granted who knows what the world will look like then. Generally you wouldn't think much would change in 3 years, but if you would have told me where we are today 3 years ago I would have never believed it.

Oh I used to think I had the "cam phaser" issue as there's a sound when it first starts up.....but it does it all the time. Talked to another EB friend who has the same noise but has had it since new on his. Can't recall what he said it is, but as someone mentioned above the cam phaser sound is very loud and noticeable. This sound sort of lines up with the vents opening and closing in front of the intercooler. Which is fun to hit the remote start and watch for some reason to me.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love my 2017 3.5 EB. I bought it at 40k miles I now have 70k on it. I have the extended warranty with it being a CPO for 84 months and 100k miles. I plan to get another one when my warranty is up in 2025. Granted who knows what the world will look like then. Generally you wouldn't think much would change in 3 years, but if you would have told me where we are today 3 years ago I would have never believed it.

Oh I used to think I had the "cam phaser" issue as there's a sound when it first starts up.....but it does it all the time. Talked to another EB friend who has the same noise but has had it since new on his. Can't recall what he said it is, but as someone mentioned above the cam phaser sound is very loud and noticeable. This sound sort of lines up with the vents opening and closing in front of the intercooler. Which is fun to hit the remote start and watch for some reason to me.
I made a very short video of the cam phaser sound before having it repaired, this is my 2018 f150 3.5 EB

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Short list of things I've noticed so far

The little mirror to see the backseat... Whoever designed and whoever okd that should be flogged, then fired. It's way too small and so useless.

The insert in the sunglasses holder.... Why? Ever other one I've ever had didn't have an insert and worked great. This has one and doesn't work as a result.

The bang and olufson stereo is great.

The exhaust on this sounds like crap and is surprisingly loud. They should have put a quieter muffler on it because at cruising rpm you get this low hum from the engine, the wife thought something was wrong because it's just kinda a wheird sound.

The seats are super comfortable, but why is my lumbar a fixed height on a 74k vehicle?

The 9" screen is great, responds quickly, and is as big as I could ever need. I appreciate that it's not reflective too. The new screen in the Durango looks nice too, but honestly this is more than great enough.

This thing rides feeling amazing, even withb22s. I believe that the 22s means it has the CCD suspension, but have no window sticker to verify, but it rides insanely comfortably.

The driver aids work well, very satisfied with them. Glad to have them. The 360 camera is better than it was in our rogue, and better than it was on the 12" explorer screen.

This thing scoots for its size, and will blow the rear tires off if you're an imbecile. Brakes are really good too, but I think the wife expected a little more initial bite. The dealership replaced the pads on it with unknown ones (they're likely the cheapest decent option knowing what they used for tires) , so that could be it.

Really digging how it looks overall. Ours is a stealth edition, and I thought I'd want to black out the really small amounts of chrome immediately. I've now reached the point of blacking the chrome out "in a little bit". It probably would look better without the chrome, but it's not bad.

Ford invented the most infuriating push pin ever, and use them to hold the front license plate bracket on. Literally think I'm gonna have to drill them out they're so tight, they work reverse of other pins, and they just hold like a sob. Maybe a hook pick around the outside will get them out, you sure as shit can't move them from the center pin.

This would have been sweet with a diesel... Right up until diesel hit 5 plus bucks a gallon and seems to be going up not down. Happy to be in a gasser that takes 87, even if fuel economy is... Adequate for its size.

I think it sits up 1 to 2 inches too high. Seems like few options for this. Also surprised the rear doesn't seem to be load leveling. I sort of wish it was on air springs at this point.... Maybe will do that one day.

Overall, love this thing already. It's no replacement for the TBSS, but it's an awesome companion to it.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The shakes? What do you mean by that?

We are on day 2 now, really liking it. Not used to all the space yet, the wife lost her wallet because it was in the second glove box she forgot existed, lol. I might have put it there also.

Little man seems much happier with his roof ac vent too.

At this point, unless you get a killer lease deal I don't think you can go wrong buying the lease out with the price of used cars. Even if you bought it and then turned around and traded it for a new lease you'd come out ahead I suspect.
The rattling when you turn the motor. The cam issue.

Flawed212X

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
first post but long time lurker and just picked up a 2017 212x today with only 26 hours on it.

im on my second F150 and apparently a glutton for punishment. Had a 2013 that had such bad cam phaser problems that timing would slip during towing. Test drove everything under the sun and still loved the power of the ecoboost so traded it in on a new (at the time) 2017 lariat fx4 3.5 ecoboost with all the bells and whistles. In the 5 years I’ve owned it I’ve had the engine torn down for cam phasers, transmission rebuilt, entire front end replaced due to a casting issue in the front axle that grenaded itself, and an ecu replaced. I’m gonna go back to Toyota once this boat is payed off. Anyways, I digress.

@CarolinaJet I’m leveled with 295/55/20s and got 7.4 mpg for the 5 hour tow home. It was 100+ degrees, but does that sound similar to what you are getting?

@BlkGS the engine noise is fake and pumped through the speakers. I turned mine off with forscan and my truck is very quiet

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
first post but long time lurker and just picked up a 2017 212x today with only 26 hours on it.

im on my second F150 and apparently a glutton for punishment. Had a 2013 that had such bad cam phaser problems that timing would slip during towing. Test drove everything under the sun and still loved the power of the ecoboost so traded it in on a new (at the time) 2017 lariat fx4 3.5 ecoboost with all the bells and whistles. In the 5 years I’ve owned it I’ve had the engine torn down for cam phasers, transmission rebuilt, entire front end replaced due to a casting issue in the front axle that grenaded itself, and an ecu replaced. I’m gonna go back to Toyota once this boat is payed off. Anyways, I digress.

@CarolinaJet I’m leveled with 295/55/20s and got 7.4 mpg for the 5 hour tow home. It was 100+ degrees, but does that sound similar to what you are getting?

@BlkGS the engine noise is fake and pumped through the speakers. I turned mine off with forscan and my truck is very quiet
Congrats on your boat!

As far as mileage I am leveled w 285/65R20s. With that setup I get 18mpg on road trips if I’m careful and 15-16 around town.

I usually see 10-11 mpg towing on the freeway but speed makes a big difference. I keep it under 65 both because the mpg drops off a lot the faster I go, and I have the original bias ply trailer tires still.

motomandan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Waiting on my Powerboost F150. Ordered in February. Latest build date is in August. Been the diesel route and very overrated!

Flawed212X

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Congrats on your boat!

As far as mileage I am leveled w 285/65R20s. With that setup I get 18mpg on road trips if I’m careful and 15-16 around town.

I usually see 10-11 mpg towing on the freeway but speed makes a big difference. I keep it under 65 both because the mpg drops off a lot the faster I go, and I have the original bias ply trailer tires still.
Interesting. I never see a bit above 16.5. I had to throw the stock wheels/tires on recently so the dealer couldn’t blame my bigger tires for the front end and they ended up staying on the truck for months. Surprisingly, my average mpg only crept up to 16.7.

I’m ultimately not to concerned as the end goal is to get the boat in dry storage at the marina, we just gotta get the old boat sold first.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tbh, I don't think that new tundra and sequoia will be that different from ecoboost in reliability.

I'm just surprised if you had that many issues with your first ecoboost you didn't get a coyote second time around, haha.

FWIW, we have been very happy with our expedition so far. We took it in for various recalls and they had planned to replace the cam phasers but they found it had been done already. Our noise and weird shifting was due to some sort of weird oil movement for the phasers in the tune that was wrong. They put in the newest tune and it's been driving great ever since.

Complaints are really minimal. I think the auto high beams are too conservative, I wish the headlights were a little better (my 2015 f150 platinum led headlights were awesome, these are just pretty good). We haven't been able to program the homelink to our community's gate with any remote (my 12 corvette also won't work with it, by my 09 tbss does, go figure). Wouldn't mind a bigger gas tank, my f150 had a 36 gallon tank, kinda wish this had that, 25 gallons is fine, but 36 would be better.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Flawed212X

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'm just surprised if you had that many issues with your first ecoboost you didn't get a coyote second time around, haha.
Like I said, I’m apparently a glutton for punishment haha. I drove the dealership nuts test driving. I drove the coyote, the new gen 3.5, then the coyote again, then the 3.5 again. I just couldn’t get over the lower rpm throttle response of the ecoboost. I did opt for the extended warranty since I knew I was potentially making a fools mistake and it’s paid off. Realistically, outside of the cam phasers, this engine has been great. I didn’t expect the transmission and front differential to grenade themselves and both issues were due to oddball unique manufacturing defects that I seem to be alone in experiencing.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2013 F150 owner with 93k on the clock and my only complaint is that it eats brakes and the Sync system goes nuts frequently and needs to be reset. I put on a set of Powerstop rotors/pads/calipers a bit ago and we will see how they last.

In town, I get between 16-17 and open road mileage varies form a high of 22 to 19, depending on wind and speed...gas mileage really does start falling off above 65 as mentioned above. Our tow is only 3 miles @ 30MPH max speed - AR230 - so I don't really know what it would be like on the highway.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2018 and now 2020 Expedition Max with Tow Package (similar to F-150)- - no issues towing 242 with tons of gear, 109F heat and steep I-15 grades going from SoCal to Las Vegas -thousands of miles - towes incredibly. Gas Mileage is so-so - honestly 10 to 10.5mph - but we average 65-70mph and pulls like a champ.