• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ECU going bad need advice

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have read on this forum about the ecu getting water build up inside the plastic housing. Has anyone discovered why this is or how to prevent it or even how to check and see if this is happening? I am looking to purchase a 2007 sx23o next week and would like to know if there is anything I can do about this issue. Thanks for your help. Also are there any other issues that I might need to look for when checking out this boat?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Scottintexas has compiled a list of all the issues that you may see on that boat. Not to say that you will have any. It is a very reliable boat and properly maintained should be problem free.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where are you going to look at it, can they give you YDS print out, it could be as easy as going to PWC to hook up the computer, Do your best to get an on the water test, if he has cavitation/pump issues it will sound good on the trailer but only in the water will you know it's working correctly. Can you forward us a link to the ad ?

as far as water in the ECU's, I could be wrong but this is what I understand it to be
the 04-06 engine hatch design is such that water outside will run down inside the back engine wall and pool on the ECU box eventually seeping in,

07-09 I think the only water from above issue has been Bronze10 and he had to stop under a gas station overhang that dumped a tremendous amount of water directly onto his boat and not positive if this was water coming down the back engine wall or actually water rising in the engine compartment,

The only way you can check is to remove the ECU and as I understand it that's kind of a big deal, so much that even being a little paranoid myself I'm not going to bother with it.

I think the major symptom of the bad ECU is the fuel injectors not working properly so if he ran the boat for a while since the last oil change maybe smell the oil to make sure you don't smell fuel,

some have put a layer of silicone over the ECU seam to help seal it,

honestly I wouldn't be that worried about it on an 07-09 boat, I'd be more concerned about #3 spark plug corrosion and compression test,

The link for common issues in that boat is in my signature below, good luck and let me know if you need anything,

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes.. the ecu box is a pain to remove. I have had to do it a few times. Now and i have to remove the post starbord once more this spring. Then i hope i am done!

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info on the ecu issues. I'm not as worried about it now. From the threads I have been reading it seemed like they were a ticking time bomb.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not ECU related, but related to the boat in the add...be sure the non factory tower was mounted correctly, with proper backing plates, to prevent flexing/cracking of the fiberglass and gelcoat. Love our 07 AR230. Find someone to check the YDS info for hours run at certain RPM's and faults as @Scottintexas suggested. Ours has provided us many hours of trouble free fun since purchase nearly 3 yrs. ago. Maintenance and winterization is easily done by most DIY'ers.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok So I looked at the boat and everything looks good got the YDS reading only fault codes tripped was over heating at hour 1.9 and low oil at hour 8.9 on port side motor. Motors have 219 hrs. I did notice the floor (fuel tank hatch) a little squishy and slightly bowed but didn't seem too bad. I'm curious how difficult is it to fix this problem. I smelt oil looks and smells good but the oil was dark. He showed me a receipt of oil changed a few months ago. Guy won't budge off his 19,999 price. What do you think?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be concerned about the floor rot if it has any squishiness at all to it, are you handy enough to fix it yourself ?
see my floor rot fix in the link in my signature, I'm only semi-handy with home improvements but fixed it good enough, I wouldn't be scared to try it again, maybe ask him to unscrew the table mount and remove it to check the wood condition, not sure if they'd agree to this as it could show a problem and it's just as easy for them say "no thanks, we'll just sell the boat to someone else" although I think they've had it for sale on craigslist for a few months now,

I'm more curious of the oil, with it only being a few months ago I wouldn't think the boat hasn't been run enough to get the oil very dark and being a boat dealer I wonder why they didn't change it themselves as easy as it is ??

I would also be concerned about the add on tower and if it was reinforced at under the attachments, not sure if my AR has reinforcements or not just wondering out loud,

20k the price is about right, maybe a 2-3k high, depending on how bad you want a boat, I might hold out a little longer,

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did check the tower and it has a metal plate on the back side to give extra strength. I think the previous owner had oil changed and then needed to get rid of the boat for medical reasons and sold it to Boats of Dallas. I think they are a broker but licensed as a dealer. I have been looking for a long time and haven't seen anything in this price range this close to home. They are usually 10hrs or more of a drive.

I tried to follow the floor rot link in your sig but didnt work for me. Prob having issues with the new version.
I think I have pretty much talked my self into the purchase. I feel like prices are only going to go up the closer we get to spring.

Thanks for all of your info and help!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those boats have issues pulling the bolts out to the fuel hatch. I would make sure the deal removes the bolts first and let u look at the flood. U dont want to get it and then realize the floor is rotten, then break 13 bolts trying to get the floor up.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
here is the link to the boat
Link to advert
The boat looks great in pics. Did you have a chance to water trial? If it reaches close to 10,000RPm and does not cavitate much, the cleanout plugs come out and allt he other pre-check list items, probably a great buy.
The floor is a big issue, don't get me wrong. BUT it is fixable and while it IS structural it does not affect the hull or transom - which Yahama has built with no wood core. If this was an older plywood embedded core fiberglass construction i would say: run. However, the soft deck in Yamaha is different and would not be a deal breaker for me, all things considered.

--

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the comments. I did not get a chance to water test it. He is really busy right now with other boat sales and said that he would need to schedule it for next week and I dont think that it will be around till then. Im just going to hope these motors are as bulletproof as everyone says and trust the info given. I know prob not the smartest thing but I feel good about the purchase.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
what tools do i need to take the table mount off and look into the hatch?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it will stick around, yesterday it was still on Craigslist for 21k and like I said I think I remember seeing it at least a month or two ago,
I don't know how many people are looking at boats in 50 degree, windy days like we're having,

A water test is more about the pumps working than the engines, you could start the engines on a hose and even rev them up to make sure they sound ok but it's only on the water you would find out if you had a cavitation/thrust issue and that could be an easy fix or a laborious trial and error wild goose chase,

The floor rot wouldn't stop me either, it's just you have to be able to commit a weeks worth of time to pull it up and fix it, as far as bolts breaking during removal, I'm almost at the point to say just break'em, the floor pulls right up and replace'em with better ones,

I understand about wanting a boat and missing a deal, I held off and missed at least a full year with small kids thinking I was going to get a better deal. There are some that say you should pay 13-15 for that boat and they might get one but like you said, haven't seen any around DFW lately and it's your money and your family and that has a price the others can't calculate,