• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

EDIT: (-Possible) Relocation to Dallas

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was recently caught up in a corporate reduction and my position was eliminated. Long story short I may have an opportunity to relocate to Plano. I am originally from Coppell, but left in the late 80's. Long story short, where's the best place to live with a decent 30-45 minute commute to Plano. Looking for 1/2 acre or more, in a neighborhood, good schools, family friendly.

I'm thinking initially Allen, McKinney, Melissa, Prosper... It's been a while since I've been in DFW, am I off the mark? Anywhere else I should consider?

Thanks,

Mike

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was recently caught up in a corporate reduction and my position was eliminated. Long story short I may have an opportunity to relocate to Plano. I am originally from Coppell, but left in the late 80's. Long story short, where's the best place to live with a decent 30-45 minute commute to Plano. Looking for 1/2 acre or more, in a neighborhood, good schools, family friendly.

I'm thinking initially Allen, McKinney, Melissa, Prosper... It's been a while since I've been in DFW, am I off the mark? Anywhere else I should consider?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike,
I live in McKinney and really like it, but it will be tough to find 1/2 acre or more without looking north or in the Prosper or Melissa area. Good luck on your relo and welcome back to the DFW area. Personally, I would consider Prosper.

Tom

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wish I could help you with that area. I know in the main areas that I've been to in Allen and McKinney that there are nice sized houses on small lots in nice neighborhoods with good schools. That is a booming area of growth as it has been for several years. @HawkTX is probably right about the Prosper area and I would at least look into the Melissa area. The good thing about being that far north is that you'll be about an hour from one of the largest lakes in Texas, Lake Texoma. I would suggest finding a good realtor and get them to work looking for you. Certain areas of the metroplex is a really hot market for real-estate. Good luck with your search and relocation process and hopefully we can welcome you back to Texas soon.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not really sure I can help either. I hear McKinney is growing fast and is real nice, but you will pay a high price for the kind of lot you are looking for. If you have teens or kids that are near teenage, I personally would steer clear of Allen. They have a controversial model for high school, in that instead of building multiple high schools with district lines they built one massive high school that has an attendance of around 6,000 kids. Good luck making a sports team not to mention how hard it must be to be in the top 10% of your class. I live in Corinth and it is great, with great schools but I don't think you will find 1/2 acre lots. Prosper is probably your best bet. Maybe Melissa as well. I can tell you this, the housing market is scorching hot down here right now, and it is a sellers market. Low inventory high demand. The best time to buy is right now. Once May gets here and kids are nearing summer break the houses go fast. We have realtors in our neighborhood knocking on doors asking us if we are even considering selling our house so that they can get a jump on listing the house.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Allen,

I have lived in Wichita Falls in 2009 knowing that when I retire form the Air Force, I would move to the DFW area. My family started house shopping and have looked all over the area. Over that time we seriously considered living in Granbury, Eagle Mountain Lake, Argyle, Flower Mound, Denton, Rockwall, McKinney, Allen, Melissa, Pottsboro, Celina, Lovejoy, Frisco, and Prosper. My wife is a teacher and we have 9 and 11 year old girls so she is very critical and concerned about the schools everywhere we look. I am an airline guy and have some flexibility where we live, which is actually a terrible deal - too many options!! Here is what we gathered on the areas you listed...

Melissa - more of a bedroom community right now with small schools and a pretty good ways out. We could not find newer houses we were looking for.

Allen - my wife's cousin and several of our friends live there and love it. The housing is pretty much built up, but they are big houses on very small lots. Wife's cousin's son just graduated from Allen High a year ago and he described it as a college. The class set up was that way too. He campus, block scheduling, very different from the high school I went to. Everything you want or need is at your fingertips and all major roadways seem to cross near Allen.

McKinney - my college roommate and several friends live there and love it. The housing is built out south of 380 but there is still new sections north. The school district lines are weird in McKinney. Some areas kids go to Prosper schools and some areas they go to Frisco and some go to McKinney. All very good school districts, but none of them are small (but not Allen big either). McKinney used to be in the sticks but now it is the outer layer of DFW, just north of Allen.

We ended up choosing Prosper and are about halfway through building a new house there. In the end it was a close tie between Prosper and Celina. Celina is just north of Prosper and still has a country feel and new construction going up. Look at DC Ranch by Emerald Homes if you are set on half acre or more lot in a neighborhood - it is right near the high school and Celina and was a contender for us. Celina ISD gets great reviews but is a little small. They have awesome basic sports teams, but very little academic and other sport (like swimming, volleyball, etc) opportunity. Eventually Celina will be the new Prosper (15-20 years tops).

We really like what we have seen in Prosper. The ISD gets great reviews and the high school is big, but only 1/4 full right now. They have planned for expansion. They also have a good plan for building more schools as required and they are even holding off on a sports stadium until they can pretty much pay straight up for it (novel concept in this credit driven world). The location is nice because it is just north of the end of the Tollway and 380 so if you go South, you have Frisco and all it offers, East is McKinney, North is farmland and Celina. SO basically it is currently the edge of North Dallas Area build up but they already have plans to build further and Prosper will eventually be the next Frisco. Thats not a bad thing at all, just reality. Currently Prosper has a nice small feel and everything in the public works is super nice, the PD, FD, city park, etc. To be frank, there is tons of money here and it shows. You will not find a 1/2 acre lot in a neighborhood unless you are in the 650k+ price range. The median home cost is around 425k. The plus side is you will get a big house, and most of the neighborhoods have one or more pools, parks, playgrounds, etc. The city park, Frontier Park, is really nice too. Prosper is 45 minutes from Lake Texoma (that is where we have our condo and boat), 20-30 minutes from Ray Roberts and Lewisville, and 45 minutes from Love Field.

One other place to consider if you want to be more South and East is Lovejoy. The ISD there gets rave reviews and the high school is not gigantic. The homes are older but there are some big lots still that direction.

Realize that DFW is BIG! The school districts are generally very good, but they are not small. You have to go out a decent ways to get small schools but then you sacrifice the opportunities that the bigger schools can afford to do (property taxes are about 2-2.5% most places). If you have dreams of star athletes in the major sports, then they better be above average to play in the big districts. I view these schools as opportunities for academic and extra curricular broadening for my kids. Playing multi-sports and doing different academic things just isn't possible like it was when I was a kid. Most folks seem to latch onto a sport and try to make their kid an Olympian or Professional caliber prospect at a young age. You just have to decide what you want for your kids and what you can afford to make that happen.

Probably more info than you wanted/needed. I will be happy to answer any questions best I can!

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mike- I live in Frisco and you will be hard pressed to find ANYTHING in McKinney, Frisco, Allen or Plano. That said some of the older homes may have still have larger lots, like on a cul de sac, but these homes go quick and usually above list.

From a commute perspective I think this will limit you to Prosper, Celina and possibly Aubrey. Traffic has become a bear in Dallas and my commute to Dallas currently stands at about 1hr 15min.

The Frisco/Plano/Allen/Mckinney areas are currently in a huge real estate boom. There is so much construction with major corporations relocating to the area that real estate prices are at an all time high. Heck from a commercial prospective, office lease rates in Frisco are comparable to that of Uptown Dallas. It's a great place to live and raise a family, but the congestion makes you feel like you live in Southern California at times. The sad part is that even in Prosper home sites are shrinking rapidly, but again north of 380 you can still find homes with larger sites.

Plano itself is huge, so one question I have is where in Plano? If it's South or East Plano, then I'd also recommend that you consider Wylie which is east of Plano.

Also, my wife is a realtor, so if you have any specific questions about a market, feel free to reach out and I can send you her contact info. She handles a lot of folks in the northern burbs.

Best of luck.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks everyone! I got a verbal "your my guy" tonight, so waiting on an official offer and compensation details now. With Christmas two days away and New Years it may be the first week of Jan before I have anything concrete.

I like Melissa, and found out a H.S. Classmate is the H.S. principal there. A quick search of realtor.com and I am lov No Prosper and Aubrey!

Thanks everyone! I'll keep you all posted!

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good luck on everything. Hope to see you out at Lake Texoma, which is one of the best lakes in North Texas!

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And if you like pro football, you will either bring your loyalties with you, or cheer for a team which hasn't had a winner QB on it for years!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You had to go there didn't you @OCMD ! We do have JerryWorld!

Mike, you have plenty of ammo for the team. I live a little further out and to me, it is definitely worth it. You could be out as far as west of tioga, and still be in celina schools and they are top rated. But like @jawsf16 said, the one on one and high rating still loses the big selection that the big districts have. But I have been out of the kids in school concept for Awhile. We are west of tioga about 12 miles, between the forks of Lake Ray Roberts. We are 5 miles from the boat ramp, 10 minutes, and the same from a great state park. We have 5 acres, and while that was worth around $55,000 to $63,000 years ago, it isn't much more! We bought 2 acres and built, then added the acreage around us. Rural deed restricted developments that aren't crazy with home owners associations are hard to find. I am 1 hour no traffic from DFW airport. In traffic, no more than 1:15. You could look towards Farmersville and find that 1/2 to 1 acre easily and find the commute to Plano at the edge of your requirements. Good luck on the job, the move, and relocation. Heck, I'm just looking forward to seeing you at a gathering!

Merry Christmas!

Mel

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
And if you like pro football, you will either bring your loyalties with you, or cheer for a team which hasn't had a winner QB on it for years!
Ok, I grew up a Cowboy's fan, but I will not root for an owner that fired Tom Landry, instead of giving him another year or two until he was ready to retire!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am hoping to hear something this week. Unfortunately I got caught in the Christmas to New Year vacation void. Crossing my fingers for good news this week!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I accepted the offer, and we will be moving to Dallas! Looking forward to meeting and seeing y'all on the water this summer (or for a beer or two before the summer!)

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice! Congrats! See you on Lake Lewisville!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where did you decide to stake your claim? McKinney?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Congrats Mike! Looking forward to meeting you!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Where did you decide to stake your claim? McKinney?

I think we are leaning most towards Prosper. 30 minute drive to work, decent yards (slightly more than a postage stamp), an hour ish to Texoma, close to Lake Lewisville....

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If you need a hotel while looking around there, go see my sister in law Julie at the Hyatt. Very nice and can help you out! She just moved there for a 1 year contract with the Hyatt.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you need a hotel while looking around there, go see my sister in law Julie at the Hyatt. Very nice and can help you out! She just moved there for a 1 year contract with the Hyatt.
The Hyatt in Prosper?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We drove from a very possible new neighborhood to Texoma today. We only went to Eisenhower State Park, but we were pretty impressed. The drive only took 45 minutes, so I would guess right at an hour with ththe boat in tow.