• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

EDIT: (-Possible) Relocation to Dallas

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What neighborhood? It takes us exactly 45 min from Lakes of Prosper to Highport Marina.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Crestview at Prosper, Saddlebrook, or Tanner's Mill. All three are pretty much at Preston Rd and Prosper Trail

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jawsf16 Where do you store your boat? Any places I should avoid, any you would recommend?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jawsf16 Where do you store your boat? Any places I should avoid, any you would recommend?
I store mine about five miles south of Highport Marina at Lake Texoma. I pay around $80 concrete enclosed with power. Water and air on site and owners live adjacent to the lot. Plus they discount a month if you pay the full year up front. It's awesome and close to Texoma. I have looked around a little bit closer to Prosper and it seems to be closer to $130 average.

Where are you going to use the boat? I realize you may not know just yet but that would be a significant factor.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I store mine about five miles south of Highport Marina at Lake Texoma. I pay around $80 concrete enclosed with power. Water and air on site and owners live adjacent to the lot. Plus they discount a month if you pay the full year up front. It's awesome and close to Texoma. I have looked around a little bit closer to Prosper and it seems to be closer to $130 average.

Where are you going to use the boat? I realize you may not know just yet but that would be a significant factor.
After seeing all the local lakes, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that we'll be on Texoma for the vast majority of time. Texoma is the closest match for our current lake. It just stinks that I won't be able to walk to my backyard and jump on the boat. I wish the Corps was more consistent in allowing private docks...

I think I am going to bring the boat with me in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to making the dive from Atlanta to Dallas pulling the boat by myself...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Mike, there are a number of lakes that do allow lakefront ownership. But they won't have the city amenities you may have in Georgia. Lake Tawakoni, Moss Lake, Cedar Creek Lake are just a few in our area that do allow property ownership on lake frontage. Some are controlled in different ways, meaning you didn't own the waterline but rented it with exclusive to your lot. Others my be an outright long term lease. But all of these lakes are outside of the geographic area you were wanting to stay within.

Texoma is a great lake. We had a cabin on the west side of the lake my entire youth. When I was a kid, Texoma was the third biggest manmade lake in the USA. It may not even be in the top 10 anymore. But it is a beautiful lake. The Red River that is the primary feed from its watershed is full of red sand, and that fills the lake and it has silted over in the years since it was dammed. Some areas are a little treacherous today when the water is low, specifically Big Mineral. Eisenhower is the closest and most expensive marina to the metroplex, but there are others that are more favorable. Due to the size of Texoma, it takes a long time to transition the lake. Most desirable locations include sand beaches and that is the islands and the southern Oklahoma shore northeast of them, and just to the west of them for a few miles past the Willis (Hwy 377) Bridge. When the lake is very high, almost all the boat ramps will be closed, except for bigger marinas that put in commercial ramps, but at times they are closed...and also when the lake is too low. Texoma has also suffered from a dangerous algae bloom, that is toxic to humans and pets. It happens generally in times of drought when the water becomes stagnate due to no rain or new feed, when it is already low. I also wanted to mention, that the end of the lake closest to the dam is deep and always busy with large cruiser traffic, and when windy, that end of the lake and around and north of Preston Penninsula can be as rough as the gulf! The in town lakes are very crowded on weekends, especially holiday weekends. Texoma is too but being so big, it may not seem as crowded, until you try to find a nice beach to enjoy.

In all, it is a great area, but may be different than Georgia in many ways. Glad to have you add to the mix here!

Duane652000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Welcome to Texas. Maybe we'll run into you this next season.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mel @txav8r, Texoma sounds just like Lanier. I hate even going out on a weekend, between the 30-40' cabin cruisers, 80' house boats, it get's brutal on the water.

Duane652000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
On Texoma be watchful of the weather. For some reason, that lake seems to catch a lot of bad weather, and because of the size of the lake, the waves get pretty crazy.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@cane.mba
Sucks that most lakes in North Texas don't have private docks. If they did, I would have built a house on it. Best you can do is Eagle Mountain Lake but they are pricey or old or both and it is on the wrong side of town for me. Don't be scared of Texoma, it is not that crowded on weekends, big lake helps. I would not put in near the dam though, just like @txav8r said it is crazy rough if it is windy or high traffic. We only go overt there on certain days. We use Highport and it is great. Let me know if you want the name and location of the place I store. It is significantly cheaper than the areas right next to the Marinas. Weather definitely can turn in an instant here. I am routinely checking the radar on suspect days.

We will be moving over to Prosper end of May. Look forward to meeting up with you on the lakes!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't forget there is always Party Cove on Lake Lewisville! You can set your watch by it just about every Saturday and Sunday afternoon. The cruisers start rolling in around 1:00-2:00 o'clock and it just builds from there.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@cane.mba it's really not that bad, even on holiday weekends. It's our lake of choice for holiday weekends because of its size with room to spread out. We live a little more then 2 hours away so we make it a weekend trip and usually stay in a hotel in Denison out by 75. We have a friend with a cruiser docked at Highport Marina and we usually leave our boat in the water at his dock so I can miss out on the ramp circus till mid afternoon on Sunday or a 3 day weekend on Monday. Highport is the closest marina to the islands and is also where @jawsf16 launches from. Even during extreme drought the ramp at Highport is one of the few that will remain open.

I hope all of your move goes well and welcome to Texas!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks everyone! I'm pretty jazzed to be moving home, but dang Dallas sure has changed in 20 years!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That's why we all live in the suburbs now! Some of us in suburbs of other towns! lol

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Texoma is our favorite lake. I'm sure you will love it.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How did the move go Mike?

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How did the move go Mike?
He's probably still looking for a house. The market is just nuts right now. My wife sold a home in Allen a week ago. 1 day on the market, 23 showings, 6 offers (all above list), the home is now under contract with two backup contracts. Crazy.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just saw this, I've been away from the board for a while. Welcome to Collin county - I'm just up the road in McKinney

Bryan - I didn't realize you had moved to Prosper too.